Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20953 Ignoramus20953 is offline

Default Can a Boehringer VDF hydraulic tracer lathe be used as aregular lathe

On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953 wrote:
I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

I have my doubts.

Do you have it home yet?

No

If so -- look at what appears to be a leadscrew, and see if it is
threaded, or just a shaft with a keyway down its length.

No leadscrew.

I don't see a quick-change gearbox on it.

I think that this lathe does not have any threading capabilities.

It looks as though there is a cross-slide knob and a compound
knob, and a handwheel for the carriage, but I suspect that all require
hydraulic power to make the carriage move. (Well ... perhaps the
compound is manual. :-)

No, I could operate at least the X handle to make the carriage move
left and right, to look at the ways. The ways are covered and need the
carriage to move significantly to open up the relevant areas. By the
way, there was no significant wear where I looked.

I don't even see anything which looks like gearshifts for the
spindle speed. (Unless those are knobs on what looks to me like a
hydraulic fluid tank.)

I think that it is a variable speed Reeves type mechanism. I will know
more soon.

You might be able to get rough control by manipulating the
followers for the tracer mechanism -- but I would not bet on being able
to control it with any degree of accuracy that way.

Yes, looks yucky.

Intersting that it has a 4-jaw chuck on the outboard end of the
spindle. A spider for stabilizing long workpieces? Or simply a storage
place for the chuck, and letting it act as a flywheel? :-)

It is definitely for long work pieces.