Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default belt sander tape?

I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind
of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get some?
--
:3 )~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mouse fired this volley in
:

I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind
of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get
some?

Did you even look?

Here's one hit of dozens I got just by searching on "abrasive belt butt
splicing tape"

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mouse fired this volley in
:

I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind
of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get
some?

Duh...
http://gkcicom0000.web142.discountas.../uncoated/ADKO
W_8.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mouse fired this volley in
:

I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind
of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get
some?

Did you even look?

Here's one hit of dozens I got just by searching on "abrasive belt butt
splicing tape"

LLoyd

No I didn't but should have. Thanks for the information anyway.

--
:3 )~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/30/2012 8:26 PM, Mouse wrote:
I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind
of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get
some?

http://www.sheldahl.com/product/TMSplicing.htm

Look at the various product datasheets linked to from there.

There's a problem for home-use w/ the for-purpose splicing tape
systems--they are two-part heat/pressure glues and the tapes are shipped
in dry ice and must be kept at -20F for even a short life.

It's just basically impractical to try to duplicate in home shop.

I've seen some discussions that some folks have had moderate success w/
the tyvek-paper (like from postal envelopes) and various epoxies but
none seem to me worth the hassle when Klingspor can ship whatever you
need on demand already made up...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:26:32 PM UTC-10, Mouse wrote:
I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind

of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get some?

--

:3 )~

I was using contact cement. now I'm using Super Glue. I read about it on the net. I use any cloth on hand as the tape. I have a problem with the top edge snagging so my future belts are going to be overlapped a bit and be directional. They're one inch. There's nothing wrong with buying them but I have several hundred feet of 1 inch abrasive. I can be up and running again in 5 min if I use the super glue.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 01:43:49 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

SNIP

I was using contact cement. now I'm using Super Glue. I read about it on the net. I use any cloth on hand as the tape. I have a problem with the top edge snagging so my future belts are going to be overlapped a bit and be directional. They're one inch. There's nothing wrong with buying them but I have several hundred feet of 1 inch abrasive. I can be up and running again in 5 min if I use the super glue.
Karl

Hey Karl,

How about a short lesson on how you do that with the super-glue and
cloth.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For an improvised splice, I've rubbed away the abrasive at both ends (with a
small sharpening stone or other material/tool), then used superglue and
overlapped the backing material bare ends, clamping the splice for a while.

The splice should be angled to the direction of travel and the overlap
doesn't need to be huge.. maybe 1/4" for each end.
Since the grit has been removed from both overlapping ends, the splice
doesn't produce a significant thump as it passes under the workpiece.

This has worked for both woven/cloth and heavy paper-backed abrasives. Other
adhesives may also work well.

--
WB