Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SS to ?????? steel

I got some stainless steal lears. Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls.
Basically, a lear is a T shaped piece of SS that holds a hook away from the
tensioned downline, as in a crappie rig, where one wants to tie the weight
on the end, and have that weight hold things taught, and keep the little
swimming minnow away from the tensioned downline to avoid tangles.

I want to solder a hook to the end of the T instead of placing a minnow,
facing the hook upward, so that it hooks the fish in the top of its mouth,
lessening the damage, and the need of taking small fish who would otherwise
die due to ingesting the hook too deeply. In my area of the world, they
don't sell minnows for bait, and transferring or capturing them is a royal
PITA. It works very well with a lead head jig, rigged to face upward, and
almost always hooking the fish on the roof of its mouth, improving the rate
of survivability of caught/released fish..

I guess I could go out and play with it, but what would be your first guess
as to how to join the two things together, the lear, and the hook? Solder
with electric rosin base solder? Acid base solder? Propane torch, and a
little solder?

The temperature would be the critical thing, as when the max temperature of
either the SS or the hook is reached, it is toast, and very weak, and
susceptible to bending, and on the second bend ............. BOINK!

I do not know the exact gauges of wire and hook, sorry, but you can imagine
bream hook to SS crappie lear.

It would seem more to be a melting of a third metal to just hold the thing
together rather than an actual melting of the three base metals for fusion.

Sorry to bother with an actual metal question, but .........

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 28, 5:07*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

I guess I could go out and play with it, but what would be your first guess
as to how to join the two things together, the lear, and the hook? *Solder
with electric rosin base solder? *Acid base solder? *Propane torch, and a
little solder?

Sorry to bother with an actual metal question, but .........

Steve

I would use lead free solder ( 95% tin 5% silver ), stainless steel
flux, and a hot iron. Might not work, but it would be my first try.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:07:09 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

In my area of the world, they
don't sell minnows for bait,

???? Why not?

Gunner

--
The essential differences between liberals and conservtives
is that liberals could not exist without conservtives to defend

Conservatives on the other hand, can exist and
live quite well without liberals."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Solder on stainless isn't the easiest thing but it's not all that hard.
Basically you need to tin the stainless first, The easiest way would be
a solder pot. Or just a puddle of solder. Clean the stainless with some
sandpaper and dip it into the solder. Now solder the hook on.

OR you could use some fine wire and wrap the two pieces and then solder
the wrap. Or even easier, wrap with wire and epoxy like you would a guide.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:07:09 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

In my area of the world, they
don't sell minnows for bait,

???? Why not?

Gunner

Introduction of non-native species, but if they are only going to get two
inches long at tops, what's the issue? One of government's infinite wisdom
things. I think I'll just wait until goldfish go on sale at the local
store, and take some of them. I figure they will be eaten soon, and haven't
heard of any goldfish terrorizing lakes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:16:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:07:09 -0700, "Steve B"

Introduction of non-native species, but if they are only going to get two
inches long at tops, what's the issue? One of government's infinite wisdom
things. I think I'll just wait until goldfish go on sale at the local
store, and take some of them. I figure they will be eaten soon, and haven't
heard of any goldfish terrorizing lakes.

Steve

Think again. Introductions of apparently harmless species by know it
all dip ****s have turned into disasters many times in the past. The
guy who introduced rabbits into Australia is a great example. His name
will be reviled and cursed in Australia long after all of the
politicians of his time are forgotten.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:16:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

In my area of the world, they
don't sell minnows for bait,

???? Why not?

Gunner

Introduction of non-native species, but if they are only going to get two
inches long at tops, what's the issue? One of government's infinite wisdom
things. I think I'll just wait until goldfish go on sale at the local
store, and take some of them. I figure they will be eaten soon, and haven't
heard of any goldfish terrorizing lakes.

Steve

You've never seen three foot long gold fish?
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:16:39 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

In my area of the world, they
don't sell minnows for bait,

???? Why not?

Gunner

Introduction of non-native species, but if they are only going to get two
inches long at tops, what's the issue? One of government's infinite
wisdom
things. I think I'll just wait until goldfish go on sale at the local
store, and take some of them. I figure they will be eaten soon, and
haven't
heard of any goldfish terrorizing lakes.

Steve

You've never seen three foot long gold fish?
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

I saw a nine foot long wood pink salmon once at Red Lobster.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/28/2012 5:07 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

I solder SS wire often, the SS MUST be filed or cleaned with abrasives
and soldered instantly. I use 50/50 and "Nokorode" paste...MAGIC stuff!

http://www.rectorseal.com/NOKORODE-R...Paste-Flux.php

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In my area of the world, they
don't sell minnows for bait,

???? Why not?

Gunner

Introduction of non-native species, but if they are only going to get two
inches long at tops, what's the issue? One of government's infinite wisdom
things. I think I'll just wait until goldfish go on sale at the local
store, and take some of them. I figure they will be eaten soon, and haven't
heard of any goldfish terrorizing lakes.

Steve

Common cheap goldfish are nothing more than orange colored Prussian
carp. They can and do grow to be very large.

--
Steve W.