Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 12 v. power source

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've got strains of "bridge over troubled watters"
floating through my unregulated head.

Good thing I'm ohm, now.

Ohm, Ohm on the range.

Where the Volts & Amps play...

Should that bridge be a "Wheatstone bridge"? :-)

And for some reason, I feel that that should be "Milliamps play",
perhaps it scans better with the original song?

Could be. I've seen about five versions, since the mid '60s. One was
over a photo of an electric 'range'.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 16:37:17 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've got strains of "bridge over troubled watters"
floating through my unregulated head.

Good thing I'm ohm, now.

Ohm, Ohm on the range.

Where the Volts & Amps play...

Home, home of deranged.
Where the beers and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heerd,
A discouraging wierd,
and the scows are not clydey all day.

When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty.

--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 16:38:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:58:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

And MANY of them are also totally unregulated and unfiltered. I've
measured in excess of 18 volts open circuit, with over 4 volts AC
ripple. Some are even only HALF WAVE regulated.

How do you 'half wave regulate' something?

With a diode. Googlit.

You still don't see it.

Like Gunner, I had to have it pointed out to me. I instantly got it
once I saw the word "rectified". I plead "lack of use". I've done
hardly any electronics work in the past 20 years, and I only worked as
a test tech from '88-91 (right after a Computer Electronics Technology
course at Coleman College in '87-88.) I never really learned the biz
in that short time. I sure wish SKS hadn't bought Palomar Technology
where I worked. They moved everyone down to Kearney Mesa and I didn't
want to drive 2 extra hours in rush-hour traffic every day for a
$10/hr job, thankyouverymuch. Had they stayed in Carlsbad, CA, I
might have turned into a decent tech. But self-employment was in my
blood then. I've had a smile on my face and been broke ever since.
(That means: I love my boss, the cheap bastid.) g

--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:58:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

And MANY of them are also totally unregulated and unfiltered. I've
measured in excess of 18 volts open circuit, with over 4 volts AC
ripple. Some are even only HALF WAVE regulated.

How do you 'half wave regulate' something?

Run it through a Zener Diode? ;-)

You can use a single diode and a huge electrolytic capacitor (hence
the half-wave) then run it through a LM-series regulator.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've got strains of "bridge over troubled watters"
floating through my unregulated head.

Good thing I'm ohm, now.

Ohm, Ohm on the range.

Where the Volts & Amps play...

Home, home of deranged.
Where the beers and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heerd,
A discouraging wierd,
and the scows are not clydey all day.

When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty.

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I still spot things like that from too many years of writing &
cleaning up technical documents. By the same measure, I can't drive
down a road and not spot damaged CATV, phone or electrical hardware.

You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau

He was never at Ft. Greely, Ak. where -40°F and 0% humidity was a
warm day. In winter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:58:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

And MANY of them are also totally unregulated and unfiltered. I've
measured in excess of 18 volts open circuit, with over 4 volts AC
ripple. Some are even only HALF WAVE regulated.

How do you 'half wave regulate' something?

Run it through a Zener Diode? ;-)

Zeners conduct in both directions, once the voltage reaches the knee
voltage.

You can use a single diode and a huge electrolytic capacitor (hence
the half-wave) then run it through a LM-series regulator.

Still, that's not a 'half wave regulator'.

I did regulate a very low power switching supply with four output
voltages by putting a Zener across one output. Not something I'd
recommend, but it was a temprary supply to test a homemade 1 GHz 10
digit VFD for a frequency counter I was building back in the '80s.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I get a charge out of electrical humor. Sadly, most
people, it just flows through in one ear, out the other.
Some jokes are not conductive to good humor.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Only regulate the negative side, maybe?
(ha, ha!)

D-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I get a charge out of electrical humor. Sadly, most
people, it just flows through in one ear, out the other.
Some jokes are not conductive to good humor.

Such are 'insular' people. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:19:16 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

If you really want to fix that, change the voting process - IN BETWEEN
elections. For now, Romney is the only sane vote.

Not if Paul wins.

The chance of Paul winning is infintismal.

Get real.

The only way Paul could win is if an asteroid hit the next
presidential debate square on at high speed straight in.

Might as well hope that will happen to Congress in session.

Or pray really hard.

Really really really hard.

Gunner

--
Adde cruorem stultitiae, atque ignem gladio scruta
To your folly add bloodshed, and stir the fire with the sword (Horace)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau

He was never at Ft. Greely, Ak. where -40°F and 0% humidity was a
warm day. In winter.

And how does that differ from -40 C ? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 13:11:25 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:04:48 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 11:14:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

When Ross Perot ran as a third-party candidate, he took just enough
votes to guarantee a Bill Clinton presidency.

So you're saying that all TWENTY MILLION of us were wrong? Bull****.
We all wanted REAL ****ing change, not some hype from an airhead who's
from one of two totally corrupt parties. $250k is middle class?
47% of us don't step on our dicks so badly on teevee.

You ****ed up.

Badly.

All because of your ego and unrealistic world view.

Hayseuss Crisco, mon! If you really believe that, you're _sick_. Seek
psychological help today!

Arf arf. You've been reading his horse**** for how many years and you
only figured this out now? Then you're as stupid as Gunner claims.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just can't connect with people like that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I get a charge out of electrical humor. Sadly, most
people, it just flows through in one ear, out the other.
Some jokes are not conductive to good humor.

Such are 'insular' people. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, -40F is so, so much colder.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 2012-10-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

He was never at Ft. Greely, Ak. where -40°F and 0% humidity was a
warm day. In winter.

And how does that differ from -40 C ? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email:
ENVIRONMENTALREGULTIONSdnicholsENVIRONMENTALREGUL |
Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I talked to Army guy, one time. From Alaska. Asked how they can even live
in -40F. We get near zero, in NYS, and it's miserable. He says the wet cold
blowing off the lake feels much worse.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau

He was never at Ft. Greely, Ak. where -40°F and 0% humidity was a
warm day. In winter.

And how does that differ from -40 C ? :-)

By where you are, when you measure it. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I talked to Army guy, one time. From Alaska. Asked how they can even live
in -40F.

You can't, without being fully prepared. The proper clothes. Keep
active, and NEVER drink alcohol outdoors. It can freeze your lungs and
kill you before they can get you indoors to thaw out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I just can't connect with people like that.

Sad thing is, they don't care.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default happy mr. white

Happy Mr. White Arrives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syU5VPpdces

Subscribe for more footage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 12 v. and forty below outdoors

Yes, alcohol is vasodialator. I wonder why drunken Eskimos don't have this
problem? They just know to stay drunk indoors?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I talked to Army guy, one time. From Alaska. Asked how they can even live
in -40F.

You can't, without being fully prepared. The proper clothes. Keep
active, and NEVER drink alcohol outdoors. It can freeze your lungs and
kill you before they can get you indoors to thaw out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some people have no capacity for connection? That's a shame.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I just can't connect with people like that.

Sad thing is, they don't care.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yes, alcohol is vasodialator. I wonder why drunken Eskimos don't
have this
problem? They just know to stay drunk indoors?

Christopher A. Young

A Micmac woman showed me that a pinch of her skin was nearly 3/4"
thick, while mine is about 1/8". She and her kids needed half the
clothing I did to stay warm, and I have a good Northern European cold
tolerance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, alcohol is vasodialator. I wonder why drunken Eskimos don't have this
problem? They just know to stay drunk indoors?

It's WHERE they drink. Think about it. It's below freezing, for
water but not for alcohol. You take a swig of whiskey, and that hits
your stomach. The cold spreads quickly through your guts, including
your lungs which are already dealing with the low temperatures.

Indoors, at or near room temperature alcohol doesn't have that effect
but some fools think of whiskey as 'human antifreeze'. Then they die.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some people have no capacity for connection? That's a shame.

Some have a high ESR, and are hopeless. Their SRF is so low, you
have trouble believing that they're alive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That sure sounds like she is equipped for cold.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

A Micmac woman showed me that a pinch of her skin was nearly 3/4"
thick, while mine is about 1/8". She and her kids needed half the
clothing I did to stay warm, and I have a good Northern European cold
tolerance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard of people drinking, as a naval vessel sinks into the water. "Keep
me warm" booze sends blood to the surface, they die faster.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

It's WHERE they drink. Think about it. It's below freezing, for
water but not for alcohol. You take a swig of whiskey, and that hits
your stomach. The cold spreads quickly through your guts, including
your lungs which are already dealing with the low temperatures.

Indoors, at or near room temperature alcohol doesn't have that effect
but some fools think of whiskey as 'human antifreeze'. Then they die.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 08 Oct 2012
10:00:45 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, alcohol is vasodialator. I wonder why drunken Eskimos don't have this
problem? They just know to stay drunk indoors?

It's WHERE they drink. Think about it. It's below freezing, for
water but not for alcohol. You take a swig of whiskey, and that hits
your stomach. The cold spreads quickly through your guts, including
your lungs which are already dealing with the low temperatures.

It starts in your mouth, and throat. Fluid below the freezing
point of water "suck the heat" out of the tissue surrounding the
fluid, and will cause"frostbite" as it goes.
Think of an ice cream brain freeze, only with more "freeze".

Indoors, at or near room temperature alcohol doesn't have that effect
but some fools think of whiskey as 'human antifreeze'. Then they die.

People think booze is "warming" when the actuality is that booze
opens surface blood vessels, and the body heat "exported" from the
core born by the blood, makes the skin feel warm. As the body dumps
heat to the cold air - at least you feel good.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That sounds like a positively cruel thing to happen, to anyone.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

It starts in your mouth, and throat. Fluid below the freezing
point of water "suck the heat" out of the tissue surrounding the
fluid, and will cause"frostbite" as it goes.
Think of an ice cream brain freeze, only with more "freeze".

Indoors, at or near room temperature alcohol doesn't have that effect
but some fools think of whiskey as 'human antifreeze'. Then they die.

People think booze is "warming" when the actuality is that booze
opens surface blood vessels, and the body heat "exported" from the
core born by the blood, makes the skin feel warm. As the body dumps
heat to the cold air - at least you feel good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, alcohol is vasodialator. I wonder why drunken Eskimos don't have this
problem? They just know to stay drunk indoors?

It's WHERE they drink. Think about it. It's below freezing, for
water but not for alcohol. You take a swig of whiskey, and that hits
your stomach. The cold spreads quickly through your guts, including
your lungs which are already dealing with the low temperatures.

It also has to do with the fact that whiskey doesn't freeze until
it get really, really cold. So you think "It can't be that cold, it
still sloshes". Yep. and it is now extremely well 'chilled' Five,
ten, twenty degrees of frost?
"Over the lips,
over the gums
Look out stomach
-- oh damn, your throat just froze!"
And frostbite of the mouth, palate, tongue, and the dangly bit in the
back of your mouth - is not pleasant.

Indoors, at or near room temperature alcohol doesn't have that effect
but some fools think of whiskey as 'human antifreeze'. Then they die.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, alcohol is vasodialator. I wonder why drunken Eskimos don't have this
problem? They just know to stay drunk indoors?

It's WHERE they drink. Think about it. It's below freezing, for
water but not for alcohol. You take a swig of whiskey, and that hits
your stomach. The cold spreads quickly through your guts, including
your lungs which are already dealing with the low temperatures.

It also has to do with the fact that whiskey doesn't freeze until
it get really, really cold. So you think "It can't be that cold, it
still sloshes". Yep. and it is now extremely well 'chilled' Five,
ten, twenty degrees of frost?
"Over the lips,
over the gums
Look out stomach
-- oh damn, your throat just froze!"
And frostbite of the mouth, palate, tongue, and the dangly bit in the
back of your mouth - is not pleasant.

Yet one fool in the cold weather survival class stood up & yelled,
"I'm not gonna freeze, caus' I be full of antifreeze all winter!" Then
the instructor warned about exposed skin, and that dark skin lost more
heat that light he stood up and screamed, "You @#$%^&*( racist!" even
though the instructor's skin was quite black. Maroons! What do you do
with all the maroons? Him and his roommate would fill two 32 gallon
trash cans every monday morning with empty whiskey & beer bottles. He
got really ****ed when the Army told him he was alcoholic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Were you able to improve the gene pool by sending
him and a couple cases of liquor to Antarctica?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Yet one fool in the cold weather survival class stood up & yelled,
"I'm not gonna freeze, caus' I be full of antifreeze all winter!" Then
the instructor warned about exposed skin, and that dark skin lost more
heat that light he stood up and screamed, "You @#$%^&*( racist!" even
though the instructor's skin was quite black. Maroons! What do you do
with all the maroons? Him and his roommate would fill two 32 gallon
trash cans every monday morning with empty whiskey & beer bottles. He
got really ****ed when the Army told him he was alcoholic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Were you able to improve the gene pool by sending
him and a couple cases of liquor to Antarctica?

Why would they want him? He had no skills.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/7/2012 10:51 AM, gummer, the neo-Nazi, lied:

Frankly...I DONT want to see the Second American Revolution playing
out across the nation and all those little parks where countless
leftwingers were dozed into ditches.

The Second American Revolution already occurred: 1861-1865. Your side
lost.

When Ross Perot ran as a third-party candidate, he took just enough
votes to guarantee a Bill Clinton presidency.

Perot took votes equally from Bush and Clinton. Clinton would have won
without Perot in the race.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He'd only have to be there a few days.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Were you able to improve the gene pool by sending
him and a couple cases of liquor to Antarctica?

Why would they want him? He had no skills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

He'd only have to be there a few days.

Do you have any idea of the cost to get anyone to Antarctica?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cheaper than having him on base, drunk, for the next few years?

Don't have to land there, he can parachute with his distillery.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

He'd only have to be there a few days.

Do you have any idea of the cost to get anyone to Antarctica?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 09 Oct 2012
12:29:56 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Were you able to improve the gene pool by sending
him and a couple cases of liquor to Antarctica?

Why would they want him? He had no skills.

Why send him so far? Could send him to just about anywhere east
of the Cascades. Or north of Kansas.
By bus.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 09 Oct 2012
10:14:40 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Some people just have to prove that stupidity, while it ultimately
can be fatal, often takes a long time.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Yet one fool in the cold weather survival class stood up & yelled,
"I'm not gonna freeze, caus' I be full of antifreeze all winter!" Then
the instructor warned about exposed skin, and that dark skin lost more
heat that light he stood up and screamed, "You @#$%^&*( racist!" even
though the instructor's skin was quite black. Maroons! What do you do
with all the maroons? Him and his roommate would fill two 32 gallon
trash cans every monday morning with empty whiskey & beer bottles. He
got really ****ed when the Army told him he was alcoholic.

Some people just have to prove that stupidity, while it ultimately
can be fatal, often takes a long time.

He was complaining that he never got any mail. My family was having
my hometown newspaper mailed to me, so I got the other engineer to help,
and we sent in everything we could to sign him up for catalogs, and free
samples. He was on leave when they started to arrive. He had two
duffel bags of junk mail waiting when he got back, including free
pantyhose. ;-)