Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default source for power-cut torches ...

anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:23:41 -0800 (PST), Jethro wrote:

anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

CostCo normally have largish twin tube flourescent lantern available,
in the region of around £20 to £30 IIRC.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 16:23, Jethro wrote:
anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

LED torch, Ever-ready lithiums, keep it somewhere you can find it in
the dark. Simpler. Shelf life in decades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Jethro writes
anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Energizer Emergency torch. Can be had for around 14 quid and that's
only the first page of hits from Google. Lights up when power fails and
comes with wall bracket.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

The posters name reminds me of a DVD I have just copied called Jethro,
too old to grow up. :-)
The South Western comedian.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:40:55 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

LED torch, Ever-ready lithiums, keep it somewhere you can find it in
the dark. Simpler. Shelf life in decades.

But still with batteries that may or may not have any life left in
'em. I have a shaker torch next to the bed. No not a plain angular
wooden torch but one you shake to charge a capacitor and thence power
an LED. Not the brightest of devices but more than enough to avoid
stubbing your toe or falling over something in the pitch black.
Almost guaranteed to work.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 23:05, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

But still with batteries that may or may not have any life left in

Primary lithiums. They're good for 10 years
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:15:26 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

But still with batteries that may or may not have any life left in

Primary lithiums. They're good for 10 years

True enough but will you be able to remember how much use they have
had in that ten years? Is there 95%, 50% or 5% left?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Or use a non-maintained emergency light?

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 6:51 pm, Clint Sharp wrote:
In message
,
Jethro writesanyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Energizer Emergency torch. Can be had for around 14 quid and that's
only the first page of hits from Google. Lights up when power fails and
comes with wall bracket.
--
Clint Sharp

erm what if the power fails during the day then? do you come home to
a flat rechargeable torch - that you can't recharge? or is this for an
ingenious alternative use OP? if not fag lighter and some candles -
will last for centuries :)

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
JimK writes
On Feb 1, 6:51 pm, Clint Sharp wrote:
In message
,
Jethro writesanyone suggest a reasonable
torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Energizer Emergency torch. Can be had for around 14 quid and that's
only the first page of hits from Google. Lights up when power fails and
comes with wall bracket.
--
Clint Sharp

erm what if the power fails during the day then? do you come home to
a flat rechargeable torch - that you can't recharge?

Looking it up it sems that it has a LED locator which lights up if the
power fails, rather than the torch itself

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 23:52, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:15:26 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:
But still with batteries that may or may not have any life left in

Primary lithiums. They're good for 10 years

True enough but will you be able to remember how much use they have
had in that ten years? Is there 95%, 50% or 5% left?

You keep your emergency torches separate and don't use them.

When you've used them (or after maybe 5 years), you replace their
batteries and put the old ones into the general use pool for other
torches.

Adjust total number of torches in the system until it all works out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 14:33, Mark wrote:

Or use a non-maintained emergency light?

But where do I get a non-maintained light? I've acquired any number
of maintained ones from fire exit signs, but a non-maintained is a bit
harder. (...and obviously I'm not going to _buy_ one!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Wind-up torch. Five quid from Netto-equivalents.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 3:38 pm, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
JimK writes

[...]

now that's the way I'd design it :)

tho I expect after seeing it hanging on a wall for X years you;d
remember where it was anyway - then break your leg falling over the
feckin dog trying to reach it.

Cheers
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:46:32 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 2 Feb, 14:33, Mark wrote:

Or use a non-maintained emergency light?

But where do I get a non-maintained light? I've acquired any number
of maintained ones from fire exit signs, but a non-maintained is a bit
harder. (...and obviously I'm not going to _buy_ one!)

I assumed the OP would be prepared to buy one ;-)

Maybe you can convert a maintained one?
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:
anyone suggest a reasonable torch, which is rechargeable from mains,
and which comes on when power is cut ? I'm sure I used to see them
around, but googling just turns up very expensive varieties ...

Wind-up torch. Five quid from Netto-equivalents.

No use, they have rechargeable cells in them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:46:32 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:

Or use a non-maintained emergency light?

But where do I get a non-maintained light? I've acquired any number
of maintained ones from fire exit signs, but a non-maintained is a bit
harder.

Terminology:

Maintained = Always on, mains power available or not.

Non-maintained = Off until power fails then they come on. Though some
do have provision to be switched manually.

--
Cheers
Dave.