Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 12 v. power source

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 16:38:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 02:58:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

And MANY of them are also totally unregulated and unfiltered. I've
measured in excess of 18 volts open circuit, with over 4 volts AC
ripple. Some are even only HALF WAVE regulated.

How do you 'half wave regulate' something?

With a diode. Googlit.

You still don't see it.

Like Gunner, I had to have it pointed out to me. I instantly got it
once I saw the word "rectified". I plead "lack of use". I've done
hardly any electronics work in the past 20 years, and I only worked as
a test tech from '88-91 (right after a Computer Electronics Technology
course at Coleman College in '87-88.) I never really learned the biz
in that short time. I sure wish SKS hadn't bought Palomar Technology
where I worked. They moved everyone down to Kearney Mesa and I didn't
want to drive 2 extra hours in rush-hour traffic every day for a
$10/hr job, thankyouverymuch. Had they stayed in Carlsbad, CA, I
might have turned into a decent tech. But self-employment was in my
blood then. I've had a smile on my face and been broke ever since.
(That means: I love my boss, the cheap bastid.) g

--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau