Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Physics question (boiling in a vacuum)

I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as
well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air.
(all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will
these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

Let some evaporate from a clean glass jar and see if it leaves a waxy
film.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18/06/2012 13:33, stryped wrote:
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

Depends on how good your vacuum is, but yes, basically. If you are
concerned that a significant amount might be present in (say) a heat
exchanger you can speed things up by warming it with a hot air gun. Do
you have a gauge on your vacuum pump?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Should be OK. If you can pull 400 microns or less. Mineral spirits has a low
boiling point, and should clear out.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"stryped" wrote in message
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as
follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had
availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these
be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 18, 2012 7:33:59 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

My guage shoes 28-29 HG.

Does brake cleaner have the same low boiling point?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley
in :

Should be OK. If you can pull 400 microns or less. Mineral spirits has
a low boiling point, and should clear out.

Except that "mineral spirits" is a generic name for a fairly narrow range
of solvents that may or may not contain dissolved higher fractions like
non-volatile oils, greases, and paraffins.

Many (not all) hardware store mineral spirits leave a waxy residue upon
drying.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

If you can pull 400 microns or less

Stormy, that was as meaningless to him as if you'd said, "use a three-
pronged veebleforp to clean out the lines."

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 18, 6:33*am, stryped wrote:
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

Eventually the volatiles will go, depends on how good a vacuum you can
pull. Big question is what the stuff left behind when it
evaporated. I recently did my van system, took about 8 hours pumping
before vacuum stabilized, 80 degree weather. I'd used some mineral
spirits for a flush of some of the parts. Hopefully nothing harmful
was left, just a little PAG oil residue.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You need a micron gage, not an inch gage. To tell if you've got a good
vacuum.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"stryped" wrote in message

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these
be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

My guage shoes 28-29 HG.

Does brake cleaner have the same low boiling point?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You know, sadly, I'm sure you are right.

Ah, well. That was a waste of plain text.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

. 3.70...
"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

If you can pull 400 microns or less

Stormy, that was as meaningless to him as if you'd said, "use a three-
pronged veebleforp to clean out the lines."

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You need a micron gage, not an inch gage. To tell if you've got a
good
vacuum.

Christopher A. Young

A 'full' vacuum reading on an inch scale would be the same as the
barometer reading, assuming both gauges are accurate, which is very
unlikely outside a lab.

My barometer shows 30.56" right now so 28-29" of vacuum wouldn't be
very good.

The inch and micron numbers are heights of a column of mercury
balanced against gas pressure, relative to either normal air pressure
(29" lower) or a perfect vacuum (400 microns higher) depending on how
the gauge is made. 400 microns is 0.01".

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:49:35 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Jun 18, 6:33*am, stryped wrote:
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

Eventually the volatiles will go, depends on how good a vacuum you can
pull. Big question is what the stuff left behind when it
evaporated. I recently did my van system, took about 8 hours pumping
before vacuum stabilized, 80 degree weather. I'd used some mineral
spirits for a flush of some of the parts. Hopefully nothing harmful
was left, just a little PAG oil residue.

Stan

Unfortunately "hope" don't feed the bulldogs. And as you found with
the vacuum pump, if any volatiles are left behind they take a long
time to boil off and get carried out.

Most people don't bother pulling more than a token hard vacuum, or
worse they use one of those air venturi "vacuum pumps" that isn't
worth a plug nickel to "evacuate" a car system. And then they don't
bother to change out the Filter/Drier and leave the old saturated one
in - and wonder why the new compressor goes bad too.

They make special high-purity HVAC System flushing solvents for this
purpose and they are formulated specifically to not leave any harmful
deposits and to evaporate out quickly. That's NOT the time to start
playing "Mister Wizard" and experimenting with the home chemistry set.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

400 microns is 0.01".

Oops, mental math mistake.

0.016" (0.015748")
http://www.kylesconverter.com/mass/microns-to-inches

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:42:29 -0700

wrote:

[...]

What..a can of WD-40 spritzed into the system or a bottle of GumOut
carby cleaner wont do the job?????

VBG

Gunner, who has seen the results of both being used.....

I take it, they are "less than sub-optimal"?
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I stopped reading when it became aparent that you thought an inch gage could
read vacuums.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

400 microns is 0.01".

Oops, mental math mistake.

0.016" (0.015748")
http://www.kylesconverter.com/mass/microns-to-inches

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:eMQDr.55131$F%
:

I stopped reading when it became aparent that you thought an inch gage could
read vacuums.

What makes you think it can't?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

400 microns is 0.01".

Oops, mental math mistake.

0.016" (0.015748")
http://www.kylesconverter.com/mass/microns-to-inches

jsw

Yeah, I noticed that but figured you were thinking the other way
(microinches to mm)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:09:53 -0700

wrote:

[...]

That would be a fair assesment though not descriptive of the sound of
bearings destroying themselves when the engine was started and the
little "AC/Max" button pressed.

I will keep that in mind for this summer's project.

(Sheesh. Even I know that WD-40 is _not_ a lubricant, _or_ a
solvent.)
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll set up four systems. Two will have a 400 micron vacuum, two will have
1,000 micron vacuum. Use your inch gage to tell which is which.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I stopped reading when it became aparent that you thought an inch gage
could
read vacuums.

What makes you think it can't?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been
invoked and called forth from the spirit world,
someone is sure to mention WD-40. The debate
"is it a lubricant or water displacer" is not complete
until someone explains what the letters abbrev. for.
Points are earned by quoting usenet posters of old,
Aristotle, or your own personal experiences with
WD-40. Web pages abound, and are on topic for
the debate. Regardless of how worthy an argument
is, no one is allowed to change sides. The debate
must continue to eternity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
That would be a fair assesment though not descriptive of the sound of
bearings destroying themselves when the engine was started and the
little "AC/Max" button pressed.

I will keep that in mind for this summer's project.

(Sheesh. Even I know that WD-40 is _not_ a lubricant, _or_ a
solvent.)
--
pyotr

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/18/2012 5:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

What..a can of WD-40 spritzed into the system or a bottle of GumOut
carby cleaner wont do the job?????

If it ain't broke, you didn't use enough WD-40!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'll set up four systems. Two will have a 400 micron vacuum, two
will have
1,000 micron vacuum. Use your inch gage to tell which is which.

Christopher A. Young

There's no rule that inch-graduated gauges have to be crude.

My inch gauge is a Dwyer model 2001 like the top left. It displays the
draft of my wood stove:
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/P...eName=Ordering

One minor division is 0.02" of Water Column, or ~0.0015" (~38 microns)
of mercury. So the 600 micron difference would show plainly at around
3/10 of full scale.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:22:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
I'll set up four systems. Two will have a 400 micron vacuum, two
will have
1,000 micron vacuum. Use your inch gage to tell which is which.

Christopher A. Young

There's no rule that inch-graduated gauges have to be crude.

My inch gauge is a Dwyer model 2001 like the top left. It displays the
draft of my wood stove:
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/P...eName=Ordering

One minor division is 0.02" of Water Column, or ~0.0015" (~38 microns)
of mercury. So the 600 micron difference would show plainly at around
3/10 of full scale.

jsw

This is not my department, but some common petrochemicals, including
the heavier solvents like Stoddard Solvent, have vapor pressures below
400 microns (0.4 mm) Hg. You won't get them out of the system with a
vacuum on that order, if I understand the problem.

'Just thought I'd throw a wrench in here...d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

You won't get them out of the system with a
vacuum on that order, if I understand the problem.

That's why a good pump with a fresh oil change will do 20 microns. Mine
will, and I only paid $169 for it. I'm not happy with a system until it
will hold 50 microns after I turn off the pump.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

You won't get them out of the system with a
vacuum on that order, if I understand the problem.

That's why a good pump with a fresh oil change will do 20 microns.
Mine
will, and I only paid $169 for it. I'm not happy with a system
until it
will hold 50 microns after I turn off the pump.

Lloyd

What do you use to measure 50 microns? My best 6" diameter mechanical
absolute pressure gauge stops at 100, and I don't have mercury for a
McLeod gauge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:jrq7nj$15n
:

What do you use to measure 50 microns? My best 6" diameter mechanical
absolute pressure gauge stops at 100, and I don't have mercury for a
McLeod gauge.

A thermistor micron gauge.

It heats a thermistor with a regulated voltage through a fairly high-
value precision (and temperature compensated) resistor, introducing a
variable (very small) current depending upon the thermistor's
temperature. Gas molecules rob heat from it, changing the resistance, and
thus changing the current, which is measured to determine the state of
the thermistor.

They can go down to 2 microns with very good accuracy. Mine is a
Robinaire, and cost about $90 from a discounter.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:7GZDr.7949
:

I'll set up four systems. Two will have a 400 micron vacuum, two will have
1,000 micron vacuum. Use your inch gage to tell which is which.

Now you're changing the conditions.

Originally, you suggested that a gauge reading in inches couldn't be used to measure
vacuum, which it obviously can.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

One minor division is 0.02" of Water Column, or ~0.0015" (~38
microns) of mercury. So the 600 micron difference would show plainly
at around 3/10 of full scale.
jsw

More explicitly;
600 microns = 0.6mm,
or 0.6 * .03937 = 0.0236" of Hg,
or 13.6 * 0.0236" = 0.32" of water, to the nearest scale division.

The full scale on that gauge is 1" of water.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/19/2012 04:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been
invoked and called forth from the spirit world,
someone is sure to mention WD-40. The debate
"is it a lubricant or water displacer" is not complete
until someone explains what the letters abbrev. for.
Points are earned by quoting usenet posters of old,
Aristotle, or your own personal experiences with
WD-40. Web pages abound, and are on topic for
the debate. Regardless of how worthy an argument
is, no one is allowed to change sides. The debate
must continue to eternity.

WD-40 was originally developed to keep rust off of the Saturn V rocket.
And who do you suppose developed the Saturn V rocket?

Nazis.

It all comes full circle.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had to go look. Your comment sounds reasonable. But, it was Atlas missile,
in 1953.

http://inventors.about.com/od/wstart...a/WDFourty.htm

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus