Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Physics question (boiling in a vacuum)

Gunner Asch on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:42:29 -0700
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:17:04 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:49:35 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Jun 18, 6:33*am, stryped wrote:
I used mineral spirts to clean out my truck ac system. (flush) as well as follwed that with brake cleaner and then dry compressed air. (all I had availabnle)

Question. If any trace mineral spirits were left in the system, will these be boiled off when vacuuming with a vacuum pump?

Eventually the volatiles will go, depends on how good a vacuum you can
pull. Big question is what the stuff left behind when it
evaporated. I recently did my van system, took about 8 hours pumping
before vacuum stabilized, 80 degree weather. I'd used some mineral
spirits for a flush of some of the parts. Hopefully nothing harmful
was left, just a little PAG oil residue.

Stan

Unfortunately "hope" don't feed the bulldogs. And as you found with
the vacuum pump, if any volatiles are left behind they take a long
time to boil off and get carried out.

Most people don't bother pulling more than a token hard vacuum, or
worse they use one of those air venturi "vacuum pumps" that isn't
worth a plug nickel to "evacuate" a car system. And then they don't
bother to change out the Filter/Drier and leave the old saturated one
in - and wonder why the new compressor goes bad too.

They make special high-purity HVAC System flushing solvents for this
purpose and they are formulated specifically to not leave any harmful
deposits and to evaporate out quickly. That's NOT the time to start
playing "Mister Wizard" and experimenting with the home chemistry set.

-- Bruce --

What..a can of WD-40 spritzed into the system or a bottle of GumOut
carby cleaner wont do the job?????

VBG

Gunner, who has seen the results of both being used.....

I take it, they are "less than sub-optimal"?
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the