Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Going out of state without a DOT number

We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

Same with the trailer.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Same with the trailer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

Not really, just paperwork. You can do it right from the site I linked.
Either online or with paper.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter versions. What does it scale empty?

Same with the trailer.

Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

Nope, really easy if you follow the link. You can register online.
If I have your business plan correct you will be FMCSA classed as an
Interstate Motor Carrier & For-hire Property Carrier.

Once your in the system they will set up an appointment to come inspect
your vehicles and records. Then they will track you for about 3-4 months
or so. If you do OK during that time period they will leave you pretty
much alone after that. Just make sure you have EVERYTHING ready before
they inspect. That can be a PIA if your missing a piece of paperwork.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter duty trucks then. What does it scale empty
with you in the seat and full of fuel?
Not that it really matters, once it has a DOT number and it's being
operated under a business heading it will need a CDL driver anyway.

Same with the trailer.

Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

Not really, just paperwork. You can do it right from the site I linked.
Either online or with paper.

Thanks, I think that I should get started.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter versions. What does it scale empty?

It is a 1996 GMC Topkick dump truck, empty weight about 12,500 with
the fuel and driver. 25,650 GVWR. So that gives me about 13k actual
weight capacity.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A..._E/s596/12+-+1

It is actually great for going to scrap yards and such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
[...]

Yes.

Once your in the system they will set up an appointment to come inspect
your vehicles and records. Then they will track you for about 3-4 months
or so. If you do OK during that time period they will leave you pretty
much alone after that. Just make sure you have EVERYTHING ready before
they inspect. That can be a PIA if your missing a piece of paperwork.

You mean, like, registrations and insurances and safety stickers?

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter duty trucks then. What does it scale empty
with you in the seat and full of fuel?
Not that it really matters, once it has a DOT number and it's being
operated under a business heading it will need a CDL driver anyway.

Yeah. 12,500 empty with driver and fuel. 13k cargo capacity.

I do not have a CDL, but I employ a person with a CDL who knows how to
operate that stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
[...]

Plus license copies, medical certificate copies, drug test clearances,
business paperwork showing all the insurance and
ownership details. If you have employees they will want to see the
payroll records to make sure you're in compliance with
all the federal regulations for all employees and not hiding someone
from them. Follow that link and it will show you all you need to know
and what you need to have on file for compliance.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.
No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter duty trucks then. What does it scale empty
with you in the seat and full of fuel?
Not that it really matters, once it has a DOT number and it's being
operated under a business heading it will need a CDL driver anyway.

Yeah. 12,500 empty with driver and fuel. 13k cargo capacity.

I do not have a CDL, but I employ a person with a CDL who knows how to
operate that stuff.

What happened to you getting your CDL? Just remember as the owner of the
company YOU are responsible regardless of who is
operating the equipment.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:15:40 -0400, "Steve W."

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
[...]

Lots of transport companies are owned by people with no CDL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
[...]

True. I was just asking if he was still working on his or decided to
become a business owner.

Either way he is still the responsible party for operational
requirements under the law.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/4/2012 6:51 PM, Steve W. wrote:

True. I was just asking if he was still working on his or decided to
become a business owner.

He already was (a business, that is) and one doesn't preclude the other.

Guessing, while it's fun to play and clearly he does, it's become
apparent to Iggy his time is more valuable in admin and policy role as
opposed to labor. (And, if he's going to make a real business, that's
probably the way it should be. The local equivalent here in the scrap
business has become quite successful and altho he still works (at
somewhere between 70 and 75) at the dirty end because he enjoys doing it
and doesn't know different, the help are the ones who spend all day w/
the torches over the winter while he's either in the cabin or
delivering. He does have CDL and does do a lot of driving still as he
makes a lot of deals on the road, though. But, there's not a local
large market here as where Iggy is located--100 miles is just the next
little farm town out here and it's 300 or so to the markets, not just
down the street.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:51:03 -0400, "Steve W."

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
[...]

The driver is the final authority - and ultimately the one
responsible for "operating" the vehicle -HE gets charged for running
without permit, running overloaded, running without insurance,
whatever, just like HE is the one that gets nailed for speeding,
missing a stop sign, or whatever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
[...]

I failed the driving test. Right now I have a CDL driver, and I have
not yet found time to go for another test.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15636 wrote:
What happened to you getting your CDL? Just remember as the owner of the
company YOU are responsible regardless of who is
operating the equipment.
Lots of transport companies are owned by people with no CDL

True. I was just asking if he was still working on his or decided to
become a business owner.

Either way he is still the responsible party for operational
requirements under the law.

I failed the driving test. Right now I have a CDL driver, and I have
not yet found time to go for another test.

Yeah that happens. Did they tell you what you did wrong?
Get in more practice.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
What happened to you getting your CDL? Just remember as the owner of the
company YOU are responsible regardless of who is
operating the equipment.
Lots of transport companies are owned by people with no CDL
True. I was just asking if he was still working on his or decided to
become a business owner.

Either way he is still the responsible party for operational
requirements under the law.

I failed the driving test. Right now I have a CDL driver, and I have
not yet found time to go for another test.

Yeah that happens. Did they tell you what you did wrong?
Get in more practice.

Yes, I went over the red line in the parking lot. Entirely my fault.