Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Going out of state without a DOT number

On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

Not really, just paperwork. You can do it right from the site I linked.
Either online or with paper.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter versions. What does it scale empty?

Same with the trailer.

Steve W.