Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Going out of state without a DOT number

On 2012-06-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus15636 wrote:
We have a dump truck and a trailer. The dump truck is registered as a
26k vehicle (no CDL) and the trailer is registered at 20k gross, so
together they are a CDL required commercial vehicle.

We do not have a DOT number.

For now, we have been operating in-state (IL). There is an auction
coming up in Wisconsin and I would like to know if we can go there
without a DOT number. My reading of this is that we we move goods
interstate, we need a DOT number etc. Does anyone know this for sure?

Yes you need a DOT number. There are very few states that don't require
it and your home state is one of those.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Right. I guess I am stuck needing a DOT number. Are those hard to get?

Nope, really easy if you follow the link. You can register online.
If I have your business plan correct you will be FMCSA classed as an
Interstate Motor Carrier & For-hire Property Carrier.

Once your in the system they will set up an appointment to come inspect
your vehicles and records. Then they will track you for about 3-4 months
or so. If you do OK during that time period they will leave you pretty
much alone after that. Just make sure you have EVERYTHING ready before
they inspect. That can be a PIA if your missing a piece of paperwork.

Oh and if that truck has a GVWR over 26K it requires a CDL to drive it.
The license requirement is based on the factory GVWR. NOT what you
register it for.

No, actually , the sticker on the door says 25,650 lbs. I registered
it for 26k.

Must be one of the lighter duty trucks then. What does it scale empty
with you in the seat and full of fuel?
Not that it really matters, once it has a DOT number and it's being
operated under a business heading it will need a CDL driver anyway.

Same with the trailer.

Steve W.