Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pipe sizes

I need to do some math on some pipe sizes. I may need as many as two pipes
within one, perhaps 3. The center one could be SS, or copper, as it would
have no abrasion on it.

Is there a chart where I would compare a bunch of pipe sizes to pick out the
ones I think may work together? I know there are slight variations in sizes
for all reasons, and will probably have to go to several sources. It needs
to be good steel pipe, corrosion and wear resistant grades.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to do some math on some pipe sizes. I may need as many as two
pipes within one, perhaps 3. The center one could be SS, or copper,
as it would have no abrasion on it.

Is there a chart where I would compare a bunch of pipe sizes to pick
out the ones I think may work together? I know there are slight
variations in sizes for all reasons, and will probably have to go to
several sources. It needs to be good steel pipe, corrosion and wear
resistant grades.

Steve

According to the CAD drawing I made for my own quick reference, 1-1/2"
pipe slides easily into 2" and 1" fits in 1-1/4" if the welding flash
isn't too thick. The OD of 3/4" and the ID of 1" are almost identical
and in my experience don't fit without lathe work. All other adjacent
sizes from 1/8" to 2" don't telescope. Pipes that differ by two sizes
all do.

The 1:1 drawing of a cross-section of stacked pipe rings shows only
Schedule 40 iron waterpipe from the BigBox stores.

The drawing was done in the 'PADS' PC board design program which
doesn't seem to export properly to other platforms. The free demo
version allows only 30 electrical components, but unlimited line
items.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I was looking at charts, and doing it mathematically. Basically, I want a
three or 4 inch pipe with two pipes inside that, leaving a space for an
annulus traveling up. The larger inside pipe would take water down. The
second interior "pipe" would probably be either SS or copper tubing, and
carry air to the tip end only. I think that I can go in half inch steps,
maybe like 4" outer 2" inner, and half inch tubing. Just have to make a
chart on ID's and OD's and see what looks like the best fit.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/13/2012 9:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

maybe like 4" outer 2" inner, and half inch tubing. Just have to make a
chart on ID's and OD's and see what looks like the best fit.

Seems to me the starting place would be to decide on necessary flow
rates and then the required velocities to achieve same w/ a given
annulus size and resulting friction losses, etc., etc., etc., ...

Then when have the design reqm'ts the pipe sizes will fall out as what
they must be (or the concept will be shown to be flawed/feasible).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 May 2012 21:46:30 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need to do some math on some pipe sizes. I may need as many as two pipes
within one, perhaps 3. The center one could be SS, or copper, as it would
have no abrasion on it.

Is there a chart where I would compare a bunch of pipe sizes to pick out the
ones I think may work together? I know there are slight variations in sizes
for all reasons, and will probably have to go to several sources. It needs
to be good steel pipe, corrosion and wear resistant grades.

Steve

They may not have 'charts' as such but

www.onlinemetals.com

and

www.speedymetals.com

will give the ID, OD and wall dimensions.

Don't know if they stock types with your wear requirements but their
dimensions should let you do your math.

HTH

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/13/2012 9:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

maybe like 4" outer 2" inner, and half inch tubing. Just have to make a
chart on ID's and OD's and see what looks like the best fit.

Seems to me the starting place would be to decide on necessary flow rates
and then the required velocities to achieve same w/ a given annulus size
and resulting friction losses, etc., etc., etc., ...

Then when have the design reqm'ts the pipe sizes will fall out as what
they must be (or the concept will be shown to be flawed/feasible).

Could also just go to HD and screw around with nipples, etc, for a visual of
what fits, etc.
You definitely don't want an analus that's too tight.....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Proly would have more combinations by mixing schedules.... altho good luck
in procuring anything other than sched. 40, and good luck in affordability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominal_Pipe_Size seems perty comprehensive.

Aluminum (threaded) electrical tubing/piping could be another option. Std
plumbing threads, but mebbe diff (and certainly smoother) IDs. Nice stuff,
readily available.

--
EA

The 1:1 drawing of a cross-section of stacked pipe rings shows only
Schedule 40 iron waterpipe from the BigBox stores.

The drawing was done in the 'PADS' PC board design program which doesn't
seem to export properly to other platforms. The free demo version allows
only 30 electrical components, but unlimited line items.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 May 2012 10:16:58 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/13/2012 9:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

maybe like 4" outer 2" inner, and half inch tubing. Just have to make a
chart on ID's and OD's and see what looks like the best fit.

Seems to me the starting place would be to decide on necessary flow
rates and then the required velocities to achieve same w/ a given
annulus size and resulting friction losses, etc., etc., etc., ...

Then when have the design reqm'ts the pipe sizes will fall out as what
they must be (or the concept will be shown to be flawed/feasible).

Aaaaand consider that there are alternate sizes - in Copper hard pipe
and soft tubing there's a second whole series besides L and M water
pipe, Refrigeration copper is thicker wall and higher pressure, comes
cleaned nitrogen purged and plugged at the ends - and has intermediate
sizes available that water pipe doesn't.

1/2" ID water pipe is 5/8" OD refrigeration, 3/4" ID is 7/8" OD, 1" ID
is 1-1/8 OD - that all crosses, and the fittings interchange.

But ACR refrigerant line goes down to 1/4" OD flexible, 3/8" OD hard,
and up to 1-5/8" OD flexible and 3-1/8" hard. And 20-foot lifts are
the standard, so you don't have as many joints to braze (or leak...)
in a big refrigeration install.

If you use copper, remember vibration flexing will crack it - you will
want to rig up spacers for the annular space to keep it either
centered or pushed off to one side and steady.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:30:58 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/13/2012 9:25 AM, Steve B wrote:

maybe like 4" outer 2" inner, and half inch tubing. Just have to make a
chart on ID's and OD's and see what looks like the best fit.

Seems to me the starting place would be to decide on necessary flow rates
and then the required velocities to achieve same w/ a given annulus size
and resulting friction losses, etc., etc., etc., ...

Then when have the design reqm'ts the pipe sizes will fall out as what
they must be (or the concept will be shown to be flawed/feasible).

Could also just go to HD and screw around with nipples, etc, for a visual of
what fits, etc.
You definitely don't want an analus that's too tight.....

KY wont help at all......VBG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote

If you use copper, remember vibration flexing will crack it - you will
want to rig up spacers for the annular space to keep it either
centered or pushed off to one side and steady.

-- Bruce --

Already thought of centering, and the whole center piece would have to come
out as one unit in case of problems. Did not think of the cracking, though.
Might have to have a short piece of hose made custom.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

On the other hand..turning the OD down on lathe is pretty easy.

Gunner

Need this to be able to be changed out by the stupidest person in the world,
my customers. So, trying to keep it dirt simple. All pieces can not be
more than about 24" to fit inside a USPS Flat Rate box to keep the cost in
the reasonable range.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

Need this to be able to be changed out by the stupidest person in
the world, my customers.
Steve

A computer store owner told me about a customer who angrily returned a
memory stick that didn't work. When it didn't fit in the way he just
KNEW it should, he sawed a new locating notch.

I built a testing machine for GM with what I thought was a
union-idiot-proof control panel. They called me back to fix a (their)
problem and when it was ready I watched the operator, whose nose
remained buried in a Barbara Cartland romance novel, swat blindly at
the buttons until the machine made noise.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Could you not use mechanical steel tubing instead of Pipe?
I googled: tubing dimensions and selected a link called:

DOM mechanical steel tubing
There, I found a link to a pdf that has a wide range of info on this stuff.
It is generally spec'd by OD and wall thickness, which makes it easy to get
what you want.
Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to give you the exact link, because
it seemed to be about 5000 characters long.
I only seldom use it in the sizes you describe, but in the hobby world,
any good hobby store has tubing in small sizes that "telescope". That is---
there's a whole series of tubing in the 1/2" OD and smaller range that come
like this:
--- 1/4" OD with 0.029" wall. Then the next size down is 1/32" less in
OD.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to do some math on some pipe sizes. I may need as many as two
pipes within one, perhaps 3. The center one could be SS, or copper, as it
would have no abrasion on it.

Is there a chart where I would compare a bunch of pipe sizes to pick out
the ones I think may work together? I know there are slight variations in
sizes for all reasons, and will probably have to go to several sources.
It needs to be good steel pipe, corrosion and wear resistant grades.

Steve

Strange (to me) pipe sizes Mr Sandman[_2_] UK diy 5 August 14th 09 11:49 AM
CH pipe sizes Stephen[_6_] UK diy 41 August 6th 09 06:55 PM
CH pipe sizes Stephen[_2_] UK diy 2 October 17th 08 07:48 PM
Two Sizes of Plastic Pipe Terry W. UK diy 4 April 8th 07 11:52 AM
MDPE pipe sizes...why? Mr Fizzion UK diy 2 September 14th 05 11:05 PM