Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Pipe sizes

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to do some math on some pipe sizes. I may need as many as two
pipes within one, perhaps 3. The center one could be SS, or copper, as it
would have no abrasion on it.

Is there a chart where I would compare a bunch of pipe sizes to pick out
the ones I think may work together? I know there are slight variations
in sizes for all reasons, and will probably have to go to several
sources. It needs to be good steel pipe, corrosion and wear resistant
grades.

Steve

According to the CAD drawing I made for my own quick reference, 1-1/2"
pipe slides easily into 2" and 1" fits in 1-1/4" if the welding flash
isn't too thick. The OD of 3/4" and the ID of 1" are almost identical and
in my experience don't fit without lathe work. All other adjacent sizes
from 1/8" to 2" don't telescope. Pipes that differ by two sizes all do.

The 1:1 drawing of a cross-section of stacked pipe rings shows only
Schedule 40 iron waterpipe from the BigBox stores.

The drawing was done in the 'PADS' PC board design program which doesn't
seem to export properly to other platforms. The free demo version allows
only 30 electrical components, but unlimited line items.

jsw

I was looking at charts, and doing it mathematically. Basically, I want a
three or 4 inch pipe with two pipes inside that, leaving a space for an
annulus traveling up. The larger inside pipe would take water down. The
second interior "pipe" would probably be either SS or copper tubing, and
carry air to the tip end only. I think that I can go in half inch steps,
maybe like 4" outer 2" inner, and half inch tubing. Just have to make a
chart on ID's and OD's and see what looks like the best fit.

Steve