Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SCORE!

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this
volley in newsdKdnSvKp9mm3jTSnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

"tnik" wrote in message
I finally found a Darex E90 endmill sharpener in CHERRY condition,
and with
all the collets, stones, guide finger... even a stand, for $1400!

YES... no more dull bits!

LLoyd

Nice! I'd love to get one of those all in one cnc sharpeners for the
shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PId...hannel&list=UL

Tell me what's wrong with that process.

If I were, I'd start with his using a Bison scroll chuck to "center" the
cutters. chuckle

It's an interesting _use_ of the mill's 4th axis, but I'll bet every one
of those cutters (in that example) cuts on only one flute.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 May 2012 09:01:03 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"tnik" wrote in message
I finally found a Darex E90 endmill sharpener in CHERRY condition, and
with
all the collets, stones, guide finger... even a stand, for $1400!

YES... no more dull bits!

LLoyd

Nice! I'd love to get one of those all in one cnc sharpeners for the
shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PId...hannel&list=UL

Wait until you see _Modern Machine Shop_ in June. There's a cutter
grinder in there that dreams are made of. $800,000, but man, oh man.
It will grind logarithmic reliefs on your gear hobs, from both sides
at once d8-)

Those kind of machines are a good part of reason why commodity cutting tools
are so cheap when you subtract raw materials cost

We had a couple of 9axis huffmann at the lazy B back in the day; mostly, we
used them for semi-production regrinds of carbide endmills so they were
grossly under-utilized IMO

Anyways, if you get a chance, take a look at some of his other videos--a
exceptionally creative individual whom I'd hire in an instant if he came
knocking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"tnik" wrote in message
I finally found a Darex E90 endmill sharpener in CHERRY condition,
and with
all the collets, stones, guide finger... even a stand, for $1400!

YES... no more dull bits!

LLoyd

Nice! I'd love to get one of those all in one cnc sharpeners for the
shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PId...hannel&list=UL

Tell me what's wrong with that process.

If I were, I'd start with his using a Bison scroll chuck to "center" the
cutters. chuckle

It's an interesting _use_ of the mill's 4th axis, but I'll bet every one
of those cutters (in that example) cuts on only one flute.

Personally I would suggest a 5c setup or at least a 3-jaw with freshly re-ground masters but in reality, the larger the cutter diameter, the less important it becomes to be perfectly centered; where you are mostly hogging aluminum for instance with say, a 1in dia cutter at .030 IPT, then 5 thou of runout is basically inconsequential.

Also, you might be surprised at how accurately most new, medium quality, 3 jaws will repeat out-of box up until they finally get whacked a good one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in news:vJGdnaDui86CoTTSnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Cobalt is not a coating; it's a premuim grade of tool steel that's been
formulated with a higher cobalt content, for the purpose of increasing
red-hardness and abrasion resistance.

Correct; I saw "coated" when he wrote that. Cobalt alloy cutters and
drills are more than "just a few cents more".

Okay, just wanted to make sure you were clear on that..

BTW, cobalt end mills are a bit more difficult to grind, the word "tougher" being an apt description...spark color, pattern and intensity is also bit different.

Anyways--likely it won't take you very long to notice that, when sharpening, they actually do "feel" a bit different as compared to M2--after which point if you ever happen to unexpectadly encounter one, you'll probably realize it fairly quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default $50K/year RE Taxes (was SCORE!)

On 2012-05-07, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 11:56:54 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
Sounds like there is an interesting story here. Why couldn't Bob get
the reduction without selling?

Because the Assessors Office valued the commercial property too high
considering the prices at the peak of the real estate market. And the
only way to prove that the assessment is too high was for Joe to sell
the building - then they place the new valuation at the actual sale
price which dropped Iggy's property tax bill. For a while...

But don't worry, Iggy - You don't have Proposition 13, so the State
Assessor is free to crank the valuation back up almost at their whim
when they decide they're going broke again, and the only way out is to
sell it yourself. And when it happens, you might want to look for a
new shop in a lower tax state.

Bruce, it will remain to be seen. I am hopeful that they will not
increase my taxes too much. I will try to not apply for any permits.

Here, basically you have to challenge each and every new assessment or else it just keeps piling up....

IOW pretty sure no provisions exist allowing for adjustment of a levy that's more than a year old.

--definitely something to check into, since history tends to repeat itself.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
:

Anyways--likely it won't take you very long to notice that, when
sharpening, they actually do "feel" a bit different as compared to
M2--after which point if you ever happen to unexpectadly encounter
one, you'll probably realize it fairly quickly.

Thank you. Again, good advice. I use 'em. I've never sharpened them.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 May 2012 09:40:48 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"tnik" wrote in message
[...]

Ok. Thanks. BTW, the grinder I'm talking about will be in the Amada
Machine Tools booth at IMTS. It's called the DV-7M. Tell them I sent
you.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:_MOdnYD1kPHGxDTSnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Also, you might be surprised at how accurately most new, medium
quality, 3 jaws will repeat out-of box up until they finally get
whacked a good one.

I own that exact chuck. TIR ain't all that good.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:_MOdnYD1kPHGxDTSnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Also, you might be surprised at how accurately most new, medium
quality, 3 jaws will repeat out-of box up until they finally get
whacked a good one.

I own that exact chuck. TIR ain't all that good.

Usually, I make the boss on the backing plate a tad undersize....allows a few thou of radial clearance between it and the chuck body--then, when I mount the chuck, I use an indicator and tap it around so as to carefully position it dead true to the spindle bearings before finally tightening the mounting bolts....finally, I'll use a ring and then a spider, grinding the master jaws with a tool post grinder, in two stages.

This does two things...

First, it balances the chuck which, if it happens to on a lathe, keeps it from shaking up your beer and walking across the floor when run at high speeds...

Second, this leaves you with a bit of a a kludge factor, allowing you to bump it around a little in case it's only accurate within a certain size ranges ( damaged scroll ) or where it's taken a substantial hit, but you don't currently have time to go back and re-grind your jaws at the moment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
newsvudnU8Yt9sl4TTSnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Usually, I make the boss on the backing plate a tad
undersize....allows a few thou of radial clearance between it and the
chuck body--then, when I mount the chuck,

Gotta think about that one. What happens on interrupted cuts?

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
newsvudnU8Yt9sl4TTSnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Usually, I make the boss on the backing plate a tad
undersize....allows a few thou of radial clearance between it and the
chuck body--then, when I mount the chuck,

Gotta think about that one. What happens on interrupted cuts?

Nothing..

Unless you're running so hard that you're basically ASKING for something to go amiss...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" wrote:

Because the Assessors Office valued the commercial property too high
considering the prices at the peak of the real estate market. And the
only way to prove that the assessment is too high was for Joe to sell
the building - then they place the new valuation at the actual sale
price which dropped Iggy's property tax bill. For a while...

But don't worry, Iggy - You don't have Proposition 13, so the State
Assessor is free to crank the valuation back up almost at their whim
when they decide they're going broke again, and the only way out is to
sell it yourself. And when it happens, you might want to look for a
new shop in a lower tax state.

I wonder what this is appraised at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwQtPwEG0nQ

Score! HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 3 August 27th 09 03:07 PM
score! Nate Nagel Home Repair 0 February 3rd 08 03:24 PM
score Chris Metalworking 1 December 24th 07 05:26 PM
VFD Score Donnie Barnes Metalworking 15 December 11th 05 07:01 AM