Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default $50K/year RE Taxes (was SCORE!)

On 2012-05-07, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 11:56:54 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
Sounds like there is an interesting story here. Why couldn't Bob get
the reduction without selling?

Because the Assessors Office valued the commercial property too high
considering the prices at the peak of the real estate market. And the
only way to prove that the assessment is too high was for Joe to sell
the building - then they place the new valuation at the actual sale
price which dropped Iggy's property tax bill. For a while...

But don't worry, Iggy - You don't have Proposition 13, so the State
Assessor is free to crank the valuation back up almost at their whim
when they decide they're going broke again, and the only way out is to
sell it yourself. And when it happens, you might want to look for a
new shop in a lower tax state.

Bruce, it will remain to be seen. I am hopeful that they will not
increase my taxes too much. I will try to not apply for any permits.

Here, basically you have to challenge each and every new assessment or else it just keeps piling up....

IOW pretty sure no provisions exist allowing for adjustment of a levy that's more than a year old.

--definitely something to check into, since history tends to repeat itself.....