Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solidworks after market books

I just completed a Solidworks course called Solidworks Essentials. The
company I work for is installing up to four seats of SW2012 and I want
to get more books on the software, especially concerning sheet metal and
press brake forming work.

Any suggestions? My instructor recommended the Solidworks Bible,
anything else I should look at?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/28/2012 9:50 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
I just completed a Solidworks course called Solidworks Essentials. The
company I work for is installing up to four seats of SW2012 and I want
to get more books on the software, especially concerning sheet metal and
press brake forming work.

Any suggestions? My instructor recommended the Solidworks Bible,
anything else I should look at?

David

Please post what you find...with a detailed review, please!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
On 3/28/2012 9:50 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
I just completed a Solidworks course called Solidworks Essentials. The
company I work for is installing up to four seats of SW2012 and I want
to get more books on the software, especially concerning sheet metal and
press brake forming work.

Any suggestions? My instructor recommended the Solidworks Bible,
anything else I should look at?

David

Please post what you find...with a detailed review, please!

It seems like comp.cad.solidworks is deader than a doornail.
Heh, I wonder just WHO or what great cadcam expert/consultant could have
possibly killed it?? LOL
Too bad, tho, as at one time it was a hoppin group, good resource.
Proly SW has its own forum (like PM), where the nutjobs are banned.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:50:48 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

I just completed a Solidworks course called Solidworks Essentials. The
company I work for is installing up to four seats of SW2012 and I want
to get more books on the software, especially concerning sheet metal and
press brake forming work.

Any suggestions? My instructor recommended the Solidworks Bible,
anything else I should look at?

David

I hope you don't mind that I use your post for a little rant about
Solidworks. I love it most of the time. But too often... like the
other day when I was mating a cylinder base to a surface. A simple
operation if ever there was one. The mate seemed to work like
thousands before it. The cylinder base could be flipped to either side
of the surface by clicking on the mate direction. But other than that
the mate didn't work in the slightest. The cylinder showed no sign of
ever giving up any freedom of movement no matter what I tried.
Eventually I gave up like I always do, recreated the cylinder, and
then the mate on the new part worked perfectly. The original part file
will live for some time in the folder I maintain for quirk infected
..SLDPRTs. You will soon have one of those folders and it will hold
files with schizophrenic cosmetic threads and magically linked
appearances. If Dassault would refund $1 for every one of these files
then their only hope of keeping their lights on would be to promise
Sheldon Adelson that they'd exterminate all the Palestinians. On a
list of the causes of suicide I'd expect to see Solidworks somewhere
between _lost the lottery for the 4 thousandth time_ and _tired of
pocket locking my car doors_

The Solidworks Bible is excellent. And I mean that. If you're still
enjoying it beyond the halfway point though then you're probably
qualified to pontificate on the meaning of life and all forms of
existentialism.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

SolidWork is very old and very dated technology.

SolidWorks is design CAD, not manufacturing CAD.

Do a Google search for CADCAM Technology Leaders and see what TopSolid
CADCAM 7 can do that SolidWorks can't.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 28, 6:50*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
I just completed a Solidworks course called Solidworks Essentials. The
company I work for is installing up to four seats of SW2012 and I want
to get more books on the software, especially concerning sheet metal and
press brake forming work.

Any suggestions? My instructor recommended the Solidworks Bible,
anything else I should look at?

David

Look on eBay for the official books that SolidWorks resellers use to
teach their overpriced courses. That's where I got mine. If you need
the exact names of all the books I have them all and would be glad to
list them. I think that they are easily the best material for learning
Solidworks. I have the SolidWorks Bible. It's very poorly written (see
Amazon reviews) and the author Matt Lombard doesn't have clue one when
it comes to manufacturing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 28, 6:50*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
I just completed a Solidworks course called Solidworks Essentials. The
company I work for is installing up to four seats of SW2012 and I want
to get more books on the software, especially concerning sheet metal and
press brake forming work.

Any suggestions? My instructor recommended the Solidworks Bible,
anything else I should look at?

David

Sorry to be a dickhead but I have a reputation to live up to... other
than being right on a very frequent basis. ;)

For the very few with a clue this should come as no surprise:

"I’m Matt Lombard, a recovering SolidWorks user."

http://ontheedge.dezignstuff.com/about

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yet another SolidWorks blog bites the dust:

http://www.theswgeek.com/2012/04/14/...range-journey/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 12:18*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
Yet another SolidWorks blog bites the dust:

http://www.theswgeek.com/2012/04/14/...nd-strange-jou...

Here is fat Matt and his latest Solid Edge ST video. Fat Matt finally
realized that creating planes in SolidWorks takes way too ****ing long
and that the approach taken by SolidWorks sucks dead donkey dick. He's
now in hog heaven because Solid Edge ST is so much better than
SolidWorks is at creating planes.

http://youtu.be/uhG2dhelErM

It's even easier to create planes in SpaceClaim than it is in Solid
Edge ST.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 10:41*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:18*pm, jon_banquer wrote:

Yet another SolidWorks blog bites the dust:

http://www.theswgeek.com/2012/04/14/...nd-strange-jou...

Here is fat Matt and his latest Solid Edge ST video. Fat Matt finally
realized that creating planes in SolidWorks takes way too ****ing long
and that the approach taken by SolidWorks sucks dead donkey dick. He's
now in hog heaven because Solid Edge ST is so much better than
SolidWorks is at creating planes.

http://youtu.be/uhG2dhelErM

It's even easier to create planes in SpaceClaim than it is in Solid
Edge ST.

http://ontheedge.dezignstuff.com/live-rules-primer/235

Matt Lombard admits he was often full of **** on best practices for
solid modeling:

"Sometimes I think SW users have been brainwashed. I know that in
writing books and doing training for years, I’ve been a part of that
brainwashing. But now I’m seeing that so much of the “best practice
dogma” that we so rigidly cling to is completely unnecessary."