Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY CNC - errors in lead screw thread - Resolved

I followed the advice you all gave me & checked / tightened / aligned what I
could.

Retesting the x axis gave me the following figures that I'm pretty pleased
with.

DRO Dial Gauge (all values in mm)
0 0
1.003 1
2.03 2
3.01 3
4.01 4
5.04 5
6.03 6
8.06 8
10.05 10

I cut some test holes, a rectangular cutout and some circular cutouts.
Both were within 0.05mm (~2 thou?).

I changed the cutting bit to a 2 flute 1/8" dremel router bit and got a much
much cleaner cut with little to no melting of the plastic and little burr
left on the edge.

Some pics here of rectangular cutout & circular cutouts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB26eMLdz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ2cvsCfiL8

Thanks for you help, you can be assured there will be more questions to
come!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB26...?v=KJ2cvsCfiL8

Thanks for you help, you can be assured there will be more questions to
come!

What did you find to be the major source of error, or did you just
take the shotgun approach?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 5:52 am, "Dennis" wrote:
[...]

LOL. I usually do both. Try to find the major problem, and as long as I am
adjusting I adjust everything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 5:52 am, "Dennis" wrote:
[...]

Shotgun approach - tightened & centred everything I could think of.

I still need to square everything up some more. Typical runout seems to be
about 0.15mm per 100mm travel on the table - probably not a major issue for
routing work.