Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default DIY CNC - errors in lead screw thread - Resolved

On Mar 19, 5:52*am, "Dennis" wrote:
I followed the advice you all gave me & checked / tightened / aligned what I
could.

Retesting the x axis gave me the following figures that I'm pretty pleased
with.

DRO * *Dial Gauge (all values in mm)
0 * * * *0
1.003 * *1
2.03 * * 2
3.01 * * 3
4.01 * * 4
5.04 * * 5
6.03 * * 6
8.06 * * 8
10.05 * *10

I cut some test holes, a rectangular cutout and some circular cutouts.
Both were within 0.05mm (~2 thou?).

I changed the cutting bit to a 2 flute 1/8" dremel router bit and got a much
much cleaner cut with little to no melting of the plastic and little burr
left on the edge.

Some pics here of rectangular cutout & circular cutouts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB26...?v=KJ2cvsCfiL8

Thanks for you help, you can be assured there will be more questions to
come!

What did you find to be the major source of error, or did you just
take the shotgun approach?