Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Right angle cordless drill with a clutch?

John Doe wrote:
I need a right angle cordless drill that has a clutch. I heard
that Mikita might have had a 1/2 inch version, but don't see it on
their website. I need one to drive my inline skating push stick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

It also kind of has to be 18 V, since I have the power supply.

If you could do 12 V this would be cool, no?

http://www.makita.com/en-us/modules/...ls.aspx?id=119

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston Winston Bigbrother.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I need a right angle cordless drill that has a clutch. I heard
that Mikita might have had a 1/2 inch version, but don't see it
on their website. I need one to drive my inline skating push
stick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

It also kind of has to be 18 V, since I have the power supply.

If you could do 12 V this would be cool, no?

http://www.makita.com/en-us/modules/...ls.aspx?id=119

Anything is worth a look. The first question is whether it has an
all or nothing speed control. A typical cordless drill is almost
perfect. The components are lightweight, the battery charge is
made to last, they are variable speed, and all but right-angle
versions have a mechanical slipping clutch. So I just remove the
chuck and cut off the handle. At that point, my problem is neatly
and efficiently attaching the drill to a wheel and building a
support for both the drill and the wheel, as light as possible.
Using a right angle cordless drill is easy enough, but they do not
have a clutch.

The clutch of a typical cordless drill sits in between the motor
and the output shaft, so it gets in the way of attaching that to a
fork.

Also possible are those really stubby impact drivers, but they
don't have a clutch either, and the impact part is wasted.

Another option is to stick a roll bar immediately behind the
wheel, so that if the push stick tries to get out from under me,
the rollbar contacts the ground. But I think the mechanical
slipping clutch already right there on a cordless drill would be
better.

--

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

[...]

I had to take apart my Makita for some type of repair a few years ago.
Being the curious type I took it apart more than I needed to. The
clutch mechanism was simple and compact. It would have been pretty
easy to hack the drill apart and use the clutch assembly in something
else. You may want to consider that. Or you may want to just use a
right angle adapter made for drills. See:
http://www.amazon.com/corners-practi.../dp/B0006Q5MGK
for several choices. I know they add maybe 8 ounces of weight and bulk
but are an easy add on. One is even adjustable so you are not stuck
with 90 degrees. I'm not sure, since I don't skate any more (vertigo)
and will never use a push stick, why you would want a clutch when a
roll bar would be robust, simple, and cheap. That said, I like the
idea of a clutch, it seems cool. So maybe you could pick up a drill at
a thrift store or Harbor Freight And get the clutch out. Can you
machine an aluminum housing for the clutch assembly? I don't know what
your capabilities are, machine tool wise and so on, but I think the
Makita clutch would fit into the drive wheel itself. That way it might
be easily adjustable and look cool too.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:01:48 -0800, Winston
wrote:

John Doe wrote:
I need a right angle cordless drill that has a clutch. I heard
that Mikita might have had a 1/2 inch version, but don't see it on
their website. I need one to drive my inline skating push stick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

It also kind of has to be 18 V, since I have the power supply.

If you could do 12 V this would be cool, no?

http://www.makita.com/en-us/modules/...ls.aspx?id=119

The perfect tool for giving the EX her half of the house.

"Do you want the top or bottom half, hon?"

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable