Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Right angle cordless drill with a clutch?

Winston Winston Bigbrother.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I need a right angle cordless drill that has a clutch. I heard
that Mikita might have had a 1/2 inch version, but don't see it
on their website. I need one to drive my inline skating push
stick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

It also kind of has to be 18 V, since I have the power supply.

If you could do 12 V this would be cool, no?

http://www.makita.com/en-us/modules/...ls.aspx?id=119

Anything is worth a look. The first question is whether it has an
all or nothing speed control. A typical cordless drill is almost
perfect. The components are lightweight, the battery charge is
made to last, they are variable speed, and all but right-angle
versions have a mechanical slipping clutch. So I just remove the
chuck and cut off the handle. At that point, my problem is neatly
and efficiently attaching the drill to a wheel and building a
support for both the drill and the wheel, as light as possible.
Using a right angle cordless drill is easy enough, but they do not
have a clutch.

The clutch of a typical cordless drill sits in between the motor
and the output shaft, so it gets in the way of attaching that to a
fork.

Also possible are those really stubby impact drivers, but they
don't have a clutch either, and the impact part is wasted.

Another option is to stick a roll bar immediately behind the
wheel, so that if the push stick tries to get out from under me,
the rollbar contacts the ground. But I think the mechanical
slipping clutch already right there on a cordless drill would be
better.

--

--Winston