Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:07:20 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:22:16 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Duct tape didn't survive the engine compartment heat. Aluminum autobody
repair tape has been OK so far.

Oh, I thought it was an underdash thang. Aluminum duct tape works
under the hood, too. That stuff'll take a finger off if you're not
careful with it.

I used aluminum duct tape from HD to waterproof the edges of the insulation
on my solar water heater. It didn't really hold up too well.

Was it UV rated?

I misremembered, and meant to say -stainless- duct tape. My bad.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:07:20 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
I used aluminum duct tape from HD to waterproof the edges of the
insulation
on my solar water heater. It didn't really hold up too well.

Was it UV rated?

I misremembered, and meant to say -stainless- duct tape. My bad.

UV can't pass through the aluminum to harm the adhesive. Some of it still
sticks well, some of it has peeled up. I went out earlier this morning to
check it.

The tape seals around aluminized bubble wrap which is the concentrator
reflector when the lids are open and the extra nighttime insulation when
they are closed.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:33:29 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:07:20 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
I used aluminum duct tape from HD to waterproof the edges of the
insulation
on my solar water heater. It didn't really hold up too well.

Was it UV rated?

I misremembered, and meant to say -stainless- duct tape. My bad.

UV can't pass through the aluminum to harm the adhesive. Some of it still
sticks well, some of it has peeled up. I went out earlier this morning to
check it.

No, but the aluminum can oxidize if the coating isn't UV rated.
Stainless usually uses a higher grade of acrylic adhesive, too.

The tape seals around aluminized bubble wrap which is the concentrator
reflector when the lids are open and the extra nighttime insulation when
they are closed.

Is it flexed too much?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:33:29 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
No, but the aluminum can oxidize if the coating isn't UV rated.
Stainless usually uses a higher grade of acrylic adhesive, too.

The tape seals around aluminized bubble wrap which is the concentrator
reflector when the lids are open and the extra nighttime insulation when
they are closed.

Is it flexed too much?

That could be it.

I'm using flashing for strength and abrasion resistance over the aluminum
duct tape on my next project, a fold-up three sided + roof generator sound
enclosure made from fireproof acoustic ceiling tiles. While testing it I
found that adding a large external muffler makes little improvement, most of
the noise is mechanical.

jsw