Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default welding vent fan - shaded pole - how to trouble shoot

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:33:29 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:07:20 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
I used aluminum duct tape from HD to waterproof the edges of the
insulation
on my solar water heater. It didn't really hold up too well.

Was it UV rated?

I misremembered, and meant to say -stainless- duct tape. My bad.

UV can't pass through the aluminum to harm the adhesive. Some of it still
sticks well, some of it has peeled up. I went out earlier this morning to
check it.

No, but the aluminum can oxidize if the coating isn't UV rated.
Stainless usually uses a higher grade of acrylic adhesive, too.

The tape seals around aluminized bubble wrap which is the concentrator
reflector when the lids are open and the extra nighttime insulation when
they are closed.

Is it flexed too much?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach