Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shaded pole motors

Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given up the ghost. A call
around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so.

This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a motor. Grainger had something
close he is going to try to make work but just in case that fails, anyone know other good
sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 1:22*am, Wes wrote:
anyone know other good
sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Try Herbach and Rademan Look at both motors and fans/blowers.

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...Store_Code=HAR

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given up
the ghost. A call
around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so.

This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a motor. Grainger
had something
close he is going to try to make work but just in case that fails, anyone
know other good
sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Home Depot, lowes, home supply. Most any bathroom fan motor is a shaded
pole motor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 5:22*pm, Wes wrote:
Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given up the ghost. *A call
around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so.

This buys the motor, housing and fan. *He just needs a motor. *Grainger had something
close he is going to try to make work but just in case that fails, anyone know other good
sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Are these the German made blowers/motors like we had on an old pellet
stove?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given up the
ghost. A call
around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so.

This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a motor. Grainger had
something
close he is going to try to make work but just in case that fails, anyone
know other good
sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Hmmm... seems like I remember McMaster Carr having pages of them, but I
just looked and didn't find any. How bout that.

However, if you just plug "shaded pole motor" (both with and without
quotes), you'll get a lot of returns.

Good hunting!

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote in
:

Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given
up the ghost. A call around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00
or so.

This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a motor.
Grainger had something close he is going to try to make work but just
in case that fails, anyone know other good sources for shaded pole
motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Maybe post here with make and model of stove and blower motor and see what
suggestions come:
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.../viewforum/22/
A cross reference and source may have been identified by some other stove
owner.
North of the 49th we have http://www.alltemp.ca/pdfs/rotom99.pdf
Available from motor shops and appliance repair places like Reliable Parts.
Most blower motors can be substituted with a similar RPM and amperage
rating in a standard frame motor if the OEM didn't use a custom shaft.
Fasco should have something, odds are they probably made the original
http://www.fasco.com/prodcat.asp
I tried a web search for a couple random stock Fasco number and came up
with hits available though Amazon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've gotten motors at Johnstone Supply, not sure if they are
nationwide.

Many times, motors just dry up. The draft inducer motor
dried up, on a friend's furnace. She lives alone,
unemployed, and has major medical problems. I was able to
disassemble the motor. Sand the shaft lightly with some
emery cloth. Remove the dried oil with Qtip and some WD-40.
Reoil it with Zoom Spout Turbine oil (you may substitute two
stroke mixer oil, if you wish). Reassemble, and it works
fine.

Please try that, before spending $300.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message
Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that
has given up the ghost. A call
around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so.

This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a
motor. Grainger had something
close he is going to try to make work but just in case that
fails, anyone know other good
sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I tried sending you a note directly but it bounced back - I have a nice,
new, motor from a fan assembly, with power cord, and switch - listed on my
web site at $20 - if it meets your friends needs that could save him some
money

browse around www.wbnoble.com in the forsale section - it's there somewhere
(under misc, I think) - or find my email on my web site and drop me a note
and I'll send you the info directly

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 3:27*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Many times, motors just dry up. The draft inducer motor
dried up, on a friend's furnace. She lives alone,
unemployed, and has major medical problems. I was able to
disassemble the motor. Sand the shaft lightly with some
emery cloth. Remove the dried oil with Qtip and some WD-40.
Reoil it with Zoom Spout Turbine oil (you may substitute two
stroke mixer oil, if you wish). Reassemble, and it works
fine.

Second that. I recently disassembled the bathroom ventilators from
two bathrooms. The shaded pole motors would run after they got
started, but would not start running. The first one I just cleaned
and lubricated which did not fix the problem. The second one I added
a couple of very thin stainless washers to take the thrust. The
motors mount with the shaft vertical. That fixed the starting
problem, so I went back and did the same to the first motor.

The motors are reversible shaded pole motors. How could that be, you
say. Well they are actually two shaded pole motors on one shaft.
Energize one motor and it runs clockwise, energize the other winding
and it runs counter clockwise.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I had this same conversation with a mate about 20 minutes ago regarding
PC fans with sleeve bearings, in my experience shaded pole motors may
have sleeve bearings also or the ball bearings and need a bit of
lubrication occasionally. In the case of the PC fans it seems to be a
matter of removing the makers label, then removing a plastic circlip and
O ring retaining the shaft, then pulling the rotor and shaft, cleaning
it of gummed up lubricant, and cleaning the oilite bearing, adding a
small amount of new quality lubricant, re-assembly, and it's good to go
for a few more years.

Part of my 2 yearly PC health check that the fans are going round as
they should do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:31:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

The motors are reversible shaded pole motors. How could that be, you
say. Well they are actually two shaded pole motors on one shaft.
Energize one motor and it runs clockwise, energize the other winding
and it runs counter clockwise.

Dan

Actually, it's quite simple to design a shaded pole motor with two shading
windings that can be switched for direction change. Just never seen it
commercially.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 13, 2:23*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
wrote:
... the bathroom ventilators ...
The motors are reversible shaded pole motors. *...

"I gots t' know" - why would a bathroom ventilator be reversible? *Bob

Actually a heater / ventilator. When it runs as a heater the air
blows through a heating coil and then down into the bathroom. When it
runs as a ventilator, a couple of flaps are drawn down so the air can
not recirculate and the air exhausts.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The main coils also have shade coils. They are very high current
shorts. When the pole is energized the shade absorbs energy from
the pole. As the magnetic power is decreased the shade winding kicks.
This starts the turn as two are employed to twist clockwise and two
counter (or anti) clockwise. They are typically the heavy current copper
wires.
Martin [ who has a 4 pole DC motor :-) ]

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand writes:

Actually, it's quite simple to design a shaded pole motor with two shading
windings that can be switched for direction change. Just never seen it
commercially.

Never taken apart a ceiling fan but have to wonder what kind of
motors luck within same...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Why can it not be repaired? Very few electric motors cannot be
repaired and unless the windings are burnt, the repair is both
cheaper and faster.This is especially true if you must adapt the
drive end as well as the mount.

A lot of shaded pole motors are tack welded or pressed, ie, you can't
unscrew them to access the bearings and whatnot. Same thing with washing
machine/dryer motors, although some of those you can rebuild due to their
size (except for the epoxied ones, those are disposable).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 06:30:51 +0000 (UTC), the infamous David Lesher
scrawled the following:

Mark Rand writes:

Actually, it's quite simple to design a shaded pole motor with two shading
windings that can be switched for direction change. Just never seen it
commercially.

Never taken apart a ceiling fan but have to wonder what kind of
motors luck within same...

They're _electric_ David. I beleive they're called drafty pole motors
with windy windings. Just thought you'd like to know.

P.S: Translation for the Canuckistanis and Poms: "draughty"

P.P.S: For those of you who still want to know more about the actual
motors, Wikipedia has a good article discussing them briefly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiling_fan

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The PC fans I've done, pull the plastic label and apply a
drop or two of oil for electric motors. To dissemble and
clean, that's extra service which will likely give you extra
life.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Billington" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had some luck, blasting them clean with brake cleaner,
and then oil them up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

A lot of shaded pole motors are tack welded or pressed, ie,
you can't
unscrew them to access the bearings and whatnot. Same thing
with washing
machine/dryer motors, although some of those you can rebuild
due to their
size (except for the epoxied ones, those are disposable).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Shaded-pole motors and ceiling fan motors are not the same animal. While both are forms of induction
motors they have different starting configurations. Typically, attic ventilator motors and such are
shaded-pole devices. As Dan pointed out they can be 2-directional for use in bathroom ventilators,
etc. They start via the "shaded" pole and then run synchronously with the mains frequency. OTOH,
many ceiling fans have more conventional induction motors with start and run windings. They are of
course, reversible and speed control is via switch-stepped values of start capacitance.

Bob Swinney
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've had some luck, blasting them clean with brake cleaner,
and then oil them up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

A lot of shaded pole motors are tack welded or pressed, ie,
you can't
unscrew them to access the bearings and whatnot. Same thing
with washing
machine/dryer motors, although some of those you can rebuild
due to their
size (except for the epoxied ones, those are disposable).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice to see the Casablanca listed - I had a beautiful one - spent the big
bucks for it and it worked flawlessly for 17 years and sold (sob) with the
house. It was a large stack metal ring set - and had three speeds that were
provided by the use of high tech - oh - capacitors - that changed the impedance
and allowed more or less current to flow - and current drives the motors via
magnetic field strength.

Martin [ holder of a nice 4 pole DC motor used for very high torque. ]