Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shaded pole motors

The PC fans I've done, pull the plastic label and apply a
drop or two of oil for electric motors. To dissemble and
clean, that's extra service which will likely give you extra
life.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Billington" wrote
in message ...

I had this same conversation with a mate about 20 minutes
ago regarding
PC fans with sleeve bearings, in my experience shaded pole
motors may
have sleeve bearings also or the ball bearings and need a
bit of
lubrication occasionally. In the case of the PC fans it
seems to be a
matter of removing the makers label, then removing a plastic
circlip and
O ring retaining the shaft, then pulling the rotor and
shaft, cleaning
it of gummed up lubricant, and cleaning the oilite bearing,
adding a
small amount of new quality lubricant, re-assembly, and it's
good to go
for a few more years.

Part of my 2 yearly PC health check that the fans are going
round as
they should do.