Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Am you legally justified in killing a passenger who refuses to turn off their cell phone?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:09:18 -0600, RD Sandman
wrote:

"Scout" wrote in
:

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in
news:jgs5q1 :

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in
:

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

SaPeIsMa wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news RD Sandman writes:

The definition is a "reasonable person". And, yes, from
flight cabin announcements over the years, a goodly number
of normally "reasonable" passengers could very well have
that fear.

What part of the announcements would instill such an
irrational fear?

Let's see
THe dropping oxygen masks
The proper position for a crash landing
THe use of a seat cushion as a floatation device

The serving of airline food.

The peanuts used to be pretty good.

I always liked the almonds better.

You flew first class, I didn't....back then.

Nope, just economy. But you could still get the almonds.

Damn, all I got were the peanuts......and free drinks. Oh, well, I
assume that makes up for the peanuts.

Hell, got free drinks too. I think you could even get alcohol if you
were an adult......but there may or may not have been a small fee for
that. I want to say the fees came later, but can't say for certain
since at that time I wasn't of age and even now I'm not much of a
drinker. Heck, I've even got packs of playing cards they handed out if
you asked for them.

Yep, I remember those. Had a design of an airplane on the back.

From 1966 to around 1971, when I was a college student, United flew a
non-stop from Lansing to Newark, NJ. It was a Vickers Viscount
prop-jet, all first-class.

Student fare, which was 50% of regular fare but standby only, was
$24.50 one-way. So for less than $25 I got a first-class seat, my
choice of filet mignon or lobster tail, and, from 1969 on (when I was
21), two free drinks.

I try not to think about those days when I fly now. It makes me want
to cry. BTW, I never got bumped on a standby. And there was another
all-first-class plane from Toledo to Newark: a French Caravelle jet.
Same deal. I'd fly those from time to time as well. I also got one of
those from Chicago to Barbados, one-stop in Miami, once upon a time. I
think the fare was $175 and it was long enough that we had all the
drinks we wanted.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/11/2012 11:21 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

From 1966 to around 1971, when I was a college student, United flew a
non-stop from Lansing to Newark, NJ. It was a Vickers Viscount
prop-jet, all first-class.

Student fare, which was 50% of regular fare but standby only, was
$24.50 one-way. So for less than $25 I got a first-class seat, my
choice of filet mignon or lobster tail, and, from 1969 on (when I was
21), two free drinks.

I try not to think about those days when I fly now. It makes me want
to cry. BTW, I never got bumped on a standby. And there was another
all-first-class plane from Toledo to Newark: a French Caravelle jet.
Same deal. I'd fly those from time to time as well. I also got one of
those from Chicago to Barbados, one-stop in Miami, once upon a time. I
think the fare was $175 and it was long enough that we had all the
drinks we wanted.

A few years ago('99?) I flew out to LA for a Mensa AG. I requested a
kosher meal because I had heard the food was usually better. After
taking off, an attendant apologized and said there had been no kosher
meal put on the flight and was there anything they could do? I said a
regular meal would be OK and I liked scotch. I got all the free Johnny
Walker Red I wanted. The exact same thing happened on the flight back.

BTW, sometimes I did get the kosher meal and the food WAS better.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:48:07 -0600, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 2/11/2012 11:21 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

From 1966 to around 1971, when I was a college student, United flew a
[...]

I'll try to remember that, and not to ask for roast pork when I do it.
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:21:42 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:09:18 -0600, RD Sandman
wrote:

"Scout" wrote in
:

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in
news:jgs5q1 :

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in
:

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

SaPeIsMa wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news RD Sandman writes:

[...]

From 1966 to around 1971, when I was a college student, United flew a
non-stop from Lansing to Newark, NJ. It was a Vickers Viscount
prop-jet, all first-class.

Student fare, which was 50% of regular fare but standby only, was
$24.50 one-way. So for less than $25 I got a first-class seat, my
choice of filet mignon or lobster tail, and, from 1969 on (when I was
21), two free drinks.

I try not to think about those days when I fly now. It makes me want
to cry. BTW, I never got bumped on a standby. And there was another
all-first-class plane from Toledo to Newark: a French Caravelle jet.
Same deal. I'd fly those from time to time as well. I also got one of
those from Chicago to Barbados, one-stop in Miami, once upon a time. I
think the fare was $175 and it was long enough that we had all the
drinks we wanted.

Eh, senior memory failure. That flight to Barbados wasn't in a
Caravelle. That was first-class in some other jet. I just got the
first-class deal to Miami because there were no coach seats left, and
they let me stay on first-class to Barbados.

Mostly I remember that I was looped when I got off. And the low fare
is the kind of thing that sticks in my cheapskate mind better than
most details. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , huntres23
@optonline.net says...

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:09:18 -0600, RD Sandman
wrote:

"Scout" wrote in
:

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in
news:jgs5q1 :

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in
:

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

SaPeIsMa wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news RD Sandman writes:

[...]

From 1966 to around 1971, when I was a college student, United flew a
non-stop from Lansing to Newark, NJ. It was a Vickers Viscount
prop-jet, all first-class.

Student fare, which was 50% of regular fare but standby only, was
$24.50 one-way. So for less than $25 I got a first-class seat, my
choice of filet mignon or lobster tail, and, from 1969 on (when I was
21), two free drinks.

I try not to think about those days when I fly now. It makes me want
to cry. BTW, I never got bumped on a standby. And there was another
all-first-class plane from Toledo to Newark: a French Caravelle jet.
Same deal. I'd fly those from time to time as well. I also got one of
those from Chicago to Barbados, one-stop in Miami, once upon a time. I
think the fare was $175 and it was long enough that we had all the
drinks we wanted.

I try not to think of those days when I _drive_. I used to be able to
fill up a Lincoln Continental for half what it costs to fill up my
motorcycle now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

I try not to think of those days when I _drive_. I used to be able to
fill up a Lincoln Continental for half what it costs to fill up my
motorcycle now.

I had trouble trying to put $3.00 in my 66 GTO in '72. I put $50 in
my Dakota the other day and it was just over 3/4 tank.

It went from 8.9 cents a gallon (premium) to $3.649 a gallon
(regular).