Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting Cast Iron Cookware Article

Hi all,

Up late, all slept out coughing & hacking away with with the Flu or
whateverthehellitis I managed to pick up... and stumbled across this
most interesting CI article:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...ience-of-cast-
iron-cooking/

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Up late, all slept out coughing & hacking away with with the Flu or
whateverthehellitis I managed to pick up... and stumbled across this
most interesting CI article:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...ience-of-cast-
iron-cooking/

Though I have several, the #8 Griswold is usually my first choice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in news:172dnWnCVuhMAq_SnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Though I have several, the #8 Griswold is usually my first choice.

Stovetop waffle iron? I have one, too! (and use it!)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in news:172dnWnCVuhMAq_SnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Though I have several, the #8 Griswold is usually my first choice.

Stovetop waffle iron? I have one, too! (and use it!)

Naww it's a just plain old cast iron frying pan, basically like what Grandma
used to have..

( actually, it IS one that Grandma used to have )

Anyways, this one has the "cross" logo on the bottom, in block letters and
so it's pre-40's, apparently

The numbering system doesn't reflect size in inches btw...no tape handy but
I'd estimate that it's slightly over 11in in diameter

http://www.griswoldcookware.com/unde...g_griswold.htm

I cooked a couple hamburger patties in it last night, they did not stick at
all--I could easily swirl and slide them around by 'shaking' the handle the
entire time...could have flipped em over with a flick of the wrist too,
excepting for the resultant grease splatter and the fact that since my
joints aren't holding up all that well anymore I'd rather not have to deal
with having wrist pain for the next couple of days g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this
volley in news:5JCdnegLlo2yLa_SnZ2dnUVZ_tOdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Naww it's a just plain old cast iron frying pan, basically like what
Grandma used to have..

( actually, it IS one that Grandma used to have )

Anyways, this one has the "cross" logo on the bottom, in block letters
and so it's pre-40's, apparently

Well, apparently they weren't too imaginative in their naming system,
because my waffle iron is a #8, too! G

It, too, is as non-stick as teflon. Neat toy, actually. You place a
concentrator ring/base over the stove burner. Then the sandwich-style
irons fit into a ball socket on one side of the base. The handles fit
into a cradle on the opposite side.

You pre-heat both sides by heating one, then flipping the two irons over
as one in the ball socket. Then fill, and do the same maneuver halfway
through the cooking.

Yumm!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Up late, all slept out coughing & hacking away with with the Flu or
whateverthehellitis I managed to pick up... and stumbled across this
most interesting CI article:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...ience-of-cast-
iron-cooking/

Erik

Cast iron roolz.

I have trouble believing the uneven heat part, but all of that can be solved
by a diffuser, anyway.
Or a decent stove, of which there is certainly some dearth.

It is just effing amazing, butt another incredible mind**** of Le Pubic,
that with a centuries-old old proven, safe, superior cooking material, 50%
of Infomercial-Land is dedicated to bull**** "cooking solutions", all of
them ****, half of them toxic, the rest superfluous (virtually by
definition).

**** Puck and the skillet he rode in on.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Up late, all slept out coughing & hacking away with with the Flu or
whateverthehellitis I managed to pick up... and stumbled across this
most interesting CI article:
http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...ience-of-cast-
iron-cooking/
Erik

Thanks, interesting.

I cook my breakfast omelette on a wood stove in a frypan inherited from my
grandmother. As the article states, and in counterpoint to conventional
wisdom, washing it doesn't harm it a bit.
"Modern soap will not harm seasoned cast iron."

I scraped, sanded and steel-wooled off the ancient burned-on crust when I
got it, seasoned it once and since then hand-scrub it with highly diluted
Dawn after each use. As long as I spread a few drops of olive oil first the
omelette lifts out cleanly.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
[...]

Pretty sure I have one of those, too, although I have no idea where exactly where it might be at the moment...probably setting someplace near the the monarch cook stove that we also ended up with and which my wife refuses to part with although it's in pretty darned sad shape.

Black coating on cast iron cookware Christopher Tidy Metalworking 16 January 23rd 08 02:58 AM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Cast iron cookware Q Metalworking 3 March 13th 05 05:02 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM