Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting Cast Iron Cookware Article

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Up late, all slept out coughing & hacking away with with the Flu or
whateverthehellitis I managed to pick up... and stumbled across this
most interesting CI article:
http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...ience-of-cast-
iron-cooking/
Erik

Thanks, interesting.

I cook my breakfast omelette on a wood stove in a frypan inherited from my
grandmother. As the article states, and in counterpoint to conventional
wisdom, washing it doesn't harm it a bit.
"Modern soap will not harm seasoned cast iron."

I scraped, sanded and steel-wooled off the ancient burned-on crust when I
got it, seasoned it once and since then hand-scrub it with highly diluted
Dawn after each use. As long as I spread a few drops of olive oil first the
omelette lifts out cleanly.

jsw