Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default multiboot XP and W7

I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/5/2011 10:28 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

Karl,

Have you tried Windows 7 virtual pc? Pretty much run XP inside Win7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:03:05 -0500, tnik wrote:

On 12/5/2011 10:28 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

Karl,

Have you tried Windows 7 virtual pc? Pretty much run XP inside Win7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

The software vendor tells me that won't work. This is a CNC control
that bypasses windows calls to go direct to the hardware.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 10:28*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

a) I'll second those whove said Microsoft Virtual PC. It comes with
Win7 (or you can download it), and it gives you an XP machine inside
your Win7 machine. Or, VMware, which I use ALL the time.

BUT...

b) If, as you said, you can't run your software in a VM, there's no
reason why you shouldn't be able to dual boot. If you are receiving
error messages from Windows 7 during your XP install, then the install
is not booting from your CD. Check your BIOS settings to make sure
that the CD drive is listed before the hard drive. You should never
see Windows 7 booting during your XP installation.

c) If I were you (actually if you were me, and I'm not sure why you'd
want to be), You'd get another cheap PC to run XP and the CNC
software. You can probably pick up a junker for less than you'd pay
for a new hard drive (which ain't much). I see them all the time on
freecycle. Hell, if you were closer, I'd just tell you to come by and
pick one or two out of the pile of stuff I need to get rid of.

d) completely random thought: Have you ever done a CNC setup to peel
and core an apple? It seems like you're the guy to do it, having an
infinite supply of apples and all, and it would make a helluva good
youtube video.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/5/2011 10:28 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

W7 Pro or Ultimate have XP mode available...but not your Home Premium.
You could download Virtual PC or VMWare but for what you want to do I would:

remove your W7 drive
install an old, small hd
install XP
reinstall your W7 drive and chose which drive to boot from from BIOS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:46:32 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

[...]

I got your CDs just a few minutes ago. Thanks

I'll take your advcie and get another hard
drive.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying all day. The install error I'm
getting is from the CD. I found a step by step guide and I'm doing it
right. My old CD has a bad spot.

This may be dangerous, I'm downloading a new bootable CD from pirate
bay. I'll try it with my licence tonight.

I do have a second old 'puter here. It runs XP and has my control,
ACAD, mastercam, and some special visual basic apps on it. The second
two are home copies from when my son had legal access. None of this
stuff runs on W7. My goal here is long term - I need to be able to run
my shop stuff on new computers as the old ones die.

Thanks for the advice

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:24:31 +0000 (UTC), "Kelly D. Grills"
wrote:

* Karl Townsend :
[...]

It sounds as though you're running the XP setup from within
W7 (?). You need to boot directly from the XP cd.

There are a bunch of tutorials regarding dual booting:
http://www.google.com/search?q=dual+...=1&btnG=Search

Thanks. I found one for exactly what I'm attempting.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 5:44*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying all day. The install error I'm
getting is from the CD. I found a step by step guide and I'm doing it
right. My old CD has a bad spot.

This may be dangerous, I'm downloading a new bootable CD from pirate
bay. I'll try it with my licence tonight.

I do have a second old 'puter here. It runs XP and has my control,
ACAD, mastercam, and some special visual basic apps on it. The second
two are home copies from when my son had legal access. None of this
stuff runs on W7. My goal here is long term - I need to be able to run
my shop stuff on new computers as the old ones die.

Thanks for the advice

Karl

Well, here's something else to chew on. More than once, I've had
computers fail in the middle of installing XP, complaining that they
couldn't read some file or another off the CD. Well, they may not have
been able to read, but it wasn't the CD's fault at all. In at least
four cases, the culprit was faulty RAM. Replaced the bad RAM, and the
computers loaded up right away. Go figure.

Before you go much further, you should get a good memory test -
Memtest86, or there's one from Microsoft that's less extensive, but
still pretty good. Both of those are free, and may save you a lot of
hair pulling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:28:29 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

Yah. Get another puter and load XP on it and ignore W7 for whatever you
are trying to do with the XP machine.

Puters are cheap as hell. Less than $75 on Craigslist or Ebay.

Ive run W7 once for a week. Then reformated and installed XP Pro and
have been more than satisfied with it ever since. And Ive got about 5
boxes here in the house and shop.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 5:44*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying all day. The install error I'm
getting is from the CD. I found a step by step guide and I'm doing it
right. My old CD has a bad spot.

This may be dangerous, I'm downloading a new bootable CD from pirate
bay. I'll try it with my licence tonight.

I do have a second old 'puter here. It runs XP and has my control,
ACAD, mastercam, and some special visual basic apps on it. The second
two are home copies from when my son had legal access. None of this
stuff runs on W7. My goal here is long term - I need to be able to run
my shop stuff on new computers as the old ones die.

Thanks for the advice

Karl

One more thing: There will be computers capable of running XP pretty
much forever. There are a lot of people in your boat, and there will
always be machines to run that stuff on. They may not be cheap, but
they exist. Meanwhile, you ought to go to the local salvage yard or
Goodwill or Salvation Army and pick up a couple of machines for a
rainy day. Again, you could come here and take your pick - actually
you could take them all, my wife would thank you for it.:-)

But I'm still waiting to see the cnc apple peeler video.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

You've missed it by a mile. Download virtual PC (it's free) and
install XP as a virtual machine under W7. Might even be able to
install Hyper-V - also free from Microsoft.
If you have W7Pro the VM is already provided.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:32:31 +0000 (UTC), "Kelly D. Grills"
wrote:

* Karl Townsend :
I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got

Have I missed a better route?

http://www.vmware.com/

VMware is about as brain-dead a system as you could ever think of.
Can't run a tape backup on it. Cannot connect to a UPS for auto
shut-down. No capability to pass though USB.

When someone sells you VM Ware (or Cisco, for that matter) all they
are selling you is "billable hours"

Hyper V from Mickey-Soft is a better product - and that's saying
something!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Likely the best answer, given the application

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
remove your W7 drive
install an old, small hd
install XP
reinstall your W7 drive and chose which drive to boot from from BIOS

Likely the best answer, given the application

XP and 7 could be installed on interchangeable HDD sleds that pop into a
case in a CD bay. Plug in the drive with the OS you want to boot. I put
older Acronis backups on them and use them as restore points when testing
downloaded software. They are unlikely to work properly on a different PC,
even of the same model.

I've set up my laptop to multiboot four ways, from the C: drive, a USB
stick, a CD/DVD and the F12 key (by hacking the Utility partition).

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:33:30 -0800

Yah. Get another puter and load XP on it and ignore W7 for whatever you
are trying to do with the XP machine.

Puters are cheap as hell. Less than $75 on Craigslist or Ebay.

Ive run W7 once for a week. Then reformated and installed XP Pro and
have been more than satisfied with it ever since. And Ive got about 5
boxes here in the house and shop.

Primary rule of Microsoft product - buy the "odd" number release,
and wait for Version 3 at least. Which means you want to skip vista
(an even count) and go for Win 7, and then wait a while for the
inevitable first round of bug fixes.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 7:02*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
wrote in message

remove your W7 drive
install an old, small hd
install XP
reinstall your W7 drive and chose which drive to boot from from BIOS

*Likely the best answer, given the application

XP and 7 could be installed on interchangeable HDD sleds that pop into a
case in a CD bay. Plug in the drive with the OS you want to boot. I put
older Acronis backups on them and use them as restore points when testing
downloaded software. They are unlikely to work properly on a different PC,
even of the same model.

I've set up my laptop to multiboot four ways, from the C: drive, a USB
stick, a CD/DVD and the F12 key (by hacking the Utility partition).

jsw

This is what I do. There exist multi-bay racks for bare SATA drives,
usually three SATA drives fitting into two half-height 5 1/4" bays.
Or, if you want to play this way, two 2.5" SATAs into one 3 1/2" bay.
Smaller laptop drives are ridiculously cheap these days. I normally
use a 30 gig or so partition on the boot drive, and a monster drive
for data. The third slot is used for image backups on a stack of
backup drives.

You can do the same with IDE drives, which I was doing previously, but
they rely on a sled and bay arrangement, none of which are standards.
So you end up buying as many sets as you have drives. Can get
expensive unless you get them used. Usually the sled to bay connector
is what gives up, along with the midget fans they use.

Acronis takes about 5 minutes to backup the boot drive this way, makes
for fast and more frequent backups. If a boot drive dies, I just pop
in the latest backup and soldier on.

This works for other operating systems and other versions of Windows
as well. I don't like dual-boot software arrangements on principle, I
still remember booting up NT 4 on a dual boot machine once and having
it nail 3 other drives on the system.
Took the better part of a week to get the system restored. They
usually work, until the boot sector or boot driver gets munged, then
you have a real fun time restoring.

I've also uised VirtualBox off off virtualbox.org, this is head and
shoulders above anything MS is giving away. It allows USB access and
shared folders between the virtual machine and the host. Good for
testing boot images before burning
onto CD/DVD. However, it probably won't allow direct hardware access
as the O.P. wants. A dedicated box is probably the simpler route. If
access between boxes is needed, ethernet hubs are cheap.

Stan