Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default multiboot XP and W7

On Dec 5, 10:28*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I've got software that don't run on W7...

So, I'm trying to add multiboot W7 and XP on this box. Its already got
W7 installed. I made another disk partition. But W7 Is protecting me
from installing from within the OS. So, I just made a bootable XP
install CD. Same story. XP install disk runs a while then I get a
message from W7 about a virus and it shuts me down.

I guess my next step is to buy a new hard drive, now this is starting
to cost a few bucks. Will it work to install XP to a black hard drive,
then install W7?

Have I missed a better route?

Karl

a) I'll second those whove said Microsoft Virtual PC. It comes with
Win7 (or you can download it), and it gives you an XP machine inside
your Win7 machine. Or, VMware, which I use ALL the time.

BUT...

b) If, as you said, you can't run your software in a VM, there's no
reason why you shouldn't be able to dual boot. If you are receiving
error messages from Windows 7 during your XP install, then the install
is not booting from your CD. Check your BIOS settings to make sure
that the CD drive is listed before the hard drive. You should never
see Windows 7 booting during your XP installation.

c) If I were you (actually if you were me, and I'm not sure why you'd
want to be), You'd get another cheap PC to run XP and the CNC
software. You can probably pick up a junker for less than you'd pay
for a new hard drive (which ain't much). I see them all the time on
freecycle. Hell, if you were closer, I'd just tell you to come by and
pick one or two out of the pile of stuff I need to get rid of.

d) completely random thought: Have you ever done a CNC setup to peel
and core an apple? It seems like you're the guy to do it, having an
infinite supply of apples and all, and it would make a helluva good
youtube video.