Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Here we go again: PVC PIPE FOR AIR SUPPLY LINES

I'm on my second one. This from HF. The switch is flaky,
sometimes doesn't want to tighten nuts and bolts. Well, I
mostly use it for unloosen, so that's not a big deal. I
don't have a big enough compressed air set up to support air
tools, so I'm stuck with second best. Which is far better
than heat n beat.

Someday, I'll take it apart, and do some switch cleaning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:22:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The electric impact? I returned it after the first time I
tried to use
it . total waste of money and effort.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've not heard of electric 3/4 drive impact wrench.
Fascinating idea. I havn't needed anything that big, but
then, I'm still in the pony leagues for repair.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:54:23 -0600, Ignoramus32097
wrote:

The electric impact? I returned it after the first time I
tried to use
it . total waste of money and effort.

I have a 3/4" electric impact, that works very well. Took
off forklift
wheel nuts very quickly.

and 3 times as heavy as a good air operated one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The electric impact? I returned it after the first time I tried to use
it . total waste of money and effort.

I had a screwdriver like that once. I have never ever used or owned a
screwdriver again. It slows me down a bit, but I figure they're all the
same. total waste of money and effort.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32097" wrote

YES, but it does not need a compressor.

I'm kinda partial to the 12v. varieties for roadside repairs. Stopped to
help an obviously clueless man with a PMSsing SWMBO and three screaming
kids. Pulled out the mini floor jack, the electric impact, I tell you, it
looked like a TV commercial. Wouldn't take the money he offered, just told
him to go buy a decent jack with the money, and pass the favor on to the
next guy.

Most of those factory jacks are real pieces of work, aren't they?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't worry, we knew all about that trick being in manholes and vaults
all day - you didn't go *anywhere* confined without a running blower
system, and checking for gases.

Confined space entry is one of the longest most complicated parts in OSHA
regs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-25,
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:22:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm not properly set up. But, the fellows who are, seem to
really get a lot of good use out of thier air tools. Must be
a reason the pro repair garages use them.
The reason pros use them is they pack more power into a smaller
lighter unit, good ones last forever, there is NO shock hazard, and no
spark hazard when working around fuel vapours etc.

You can have my air impact when you can pry it out od my cold dead
hands - along with my air ratchet and drill.

The electric impact? I returned it after the first time I tried to use
it . total waste of money and effort.

I have a 3/4" electric impact, that works very well. Took off forklift
wheel nuts very quickly.

and 3 times as heavy as a good air operated one.

Yes and no.

Did you add in the weight of the compressor?

Gunner

Did you add in the weight of the coal fired generator, or the nuke??

I don't carry the compresser around - just string out the hose.

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

There's white PVC, and the slightly colored CPVC. I'm not
sure if one has higher pressure rating.

The Grey is Sched 80 as I recall. Its MUCh thicker wall than the white.

Much of the gray is DB-120; it's far weaker than even Sch 40.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-25,
wrote:

[...]

Thats going to be hard to do out in the field, isnt it?

My genny weighs a hell of a lot less than a compressor..and your
compressor not only is big and heavy..but it too needs the nuke or coal
fired power plant.

My electric tools bypass the middle man ...G

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch

On 2011-11-25,
wrote:

[...]

Lots of service trucks have either self contained or engine mounted
compressors to allow use of air tools "in the field"

And CO2 tanks are a lot less bulky, and a lot lighter, than a
generator (or compressor) for "limited" field use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:36:01 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

The electric impact? I returned it after the first time I tried to use
it . total waste of money and effort.

I had a screwdriver like that once. I have never ever used or owned a
screwdriver again. It slows me down a bit, but I figure they're all the
same. total waste of money and effort.

Nope, same as all other tools - you probably got the cheap consumer
unit, and it couldn't twist it's way out of a paper bag. The motor
makes a cute "whirrrrr" sound and the tip turns until it meets a
little resistance.

You want small and light and "screwdriver shaped" (when set to
Straight) to get into tight spots, yet Actually Does Something, the
ol' DeWalt DW920K "bendy" screwdriver is perfect - been beating on one
for many years. Enough oomph for self-drill screws or to drill the
wiring hole too for light sheetmetal like fluorescent cans.

-- Bruce --

On 2011-11-25,
wrote:

[...]

Indeed they do. And in fact..I have a gasoline powered air compressor
(Emglo) that I use. Doesnt have a tank however..which means I have to
keep a tank at hand. (Im needing a carby rebuild kit currently for
it..very hard to start)

And I have indeed used CO2 tanks for exactly this as well.

And none of them require hooking up to a nuke or coal fired generator
VBG

And yes..I do have a big electric air compressor thats hooked to the
nuke/coal fired generator (actually I think my power comes from Hoover
Dam..so tis Green!) and lots and lots of air hoses. Probably 500 or more
feet of it.
And a bunch of air tools, everything from air powered jig saw to air
powered grinders, drills, ratchets, etc etce etc.

But when Im in a hurry to break off a lug nut or similar..I drag out the
electric impact wrench and plug it in, ZIPPPP and Im done. No waiting
for the compressor and its 120 gallon tank..and the subsidiary 80 gallon
tank to fill. Which can take a bit.
(VBG)

:P

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So thats a good screwdriver? Ive only seen a couple of them over the
years and have never handled one.

Ill definately keep my eyes open for one now that you have recommended
them.

Thanks!!

Gunner, who has avoided such tools since being given a B&D and being
totally..totally unimpressed with it.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

readable)" wrote:

You want small and light and "screwdriver shaped" (when set to
Straight) to get into tight spots, yet Actually Does Something, the
ol' DeWalt DW920K "bendy" screwdriver is perfect - been beating on one
for many years. Enough oomph for self-drill screws or to drill the
wiring hole too for light sheetmetal like fluorescent cans.

-- Bruce --

So thats a good screwdriver? Ive only seen a couple of them over the
years and have never handled one.

Ill definately keep my eyes open for one now that you have recommended
them.

Thanks!!

Gunner, who has avoided such tools since being given a B&D and being
totally..totally unimpressed with it.

It's got enough kick to strip out screw heads, and even snap a 6-32
if you forget to unlock the clutch after drilling. Got turned on to
it by my friend the Theatre Lighting Tech, always tearing down Martin
moving lights with five bajillion little screws to get inside. And
then reverse the process.

When you need to trim out a whole house full of receps and switches
and devices it's a real wrist saver. The only big disadvantage being
it's my only 7.2V device, so it has it's own two batteries. But one
will charge by the time you run down the other.

And the quick-release collet holding the screwdriver tips in is a bit
loose, so if you're trying to do a job one-handed while standing on
your head (or other uncomfortable positions) and bump the collar into
something it might spit out the bit...

But that's what a little strip of electrical tape is for - you tape
the screw to the end of the bit to keep it there, use another little
piece to keep the bit on the driver.

-- Bruce --