Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generators, run on nat. gas....

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:12:26 -0500, wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

I do have a gasoline generator, which helped me through the
four day cut, in 2003. Consider your needs. And consider if
natural gas is dependable, in your area. Might want propane,
or diesel unit.

The only time natural gas fails, there's usually just a big
crater left behind. Unless you're using LP, natural gas is
way at the top of the reliability list.

Consider the personal aspects.

Do you want to stand out like a lighthouse in a dark harbor?
Do you want your neighbors to demand to run power cords to
thier houses, and you can be Angst Power and Light?

You know what? Most people get a good feeling from helping other
people. I thought you did too.

In this last storm I was on both the receiving and giving end.
I think we all came out ahead.

I would get a generator and a manual transfer panel. Oh, I did. The
reason was that I didn't trust the automatic transfer and generator
setups that were affordable by me. My neighbor has an automatic setup
powered by a Kohler engine (usually considered a good brand) that only
worked the first season it was installed. It probably turned on less
than 8 times that first year. Then something in the ignition system
failed and it could only try to start. Her quoted repair price was
around $1800 from a couple businesses that install and maintain these
types of systems. $1800 seems steep to me to replace a 7hp motor.
Stormin Mormon implied from his comments above that standing out
in the neighborhood would be a bad thing. That's surprising coming
from someone who identifies himself as a Christian. My neighbors are
welcome to use my freezer if theirs isn't working. And they can come
over and use the shower if they need to. And if they need to sleep and
eat here a while that's OK too.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

[...]

Tell that to the disabled veteran in orlando who had his generator
stolen during a hurricane a few years ago. He needed it to power the
equipment that helped keep him alive. it was sitting outside, under
cover and was running when someone stole it. Letting others run cords
has nothing to do with being Christian, if it can't handle the extra
load.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it was ignition system, might have been a bad ignition
module, or ignition coil. Either those should be replacable.
Likely doesn't really need the entire motor.

There's a few neighbors I'll offer help. My general
experiences with helping neighbors, havn't been all that
good. I know of at least two people who have had generators
stolen. I'm not eager to be on that list.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

Then why do you consistently post to alt.hvac?????
Jus wunnerin....
--
EA

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

[...]

Stealing a Generac is rather pointless and not particularly easy
considering that it's bolted to a concrete slab and has to be plumbed
into a natural gas line in order to operate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , cayoung61
says...

That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

Hey, Stormin, do you keep the requisite year's worth of food on hand?
Aren't you afraid that your neighbors will find out and steal it?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've filtered most of the people who are impolite. On my
computer, that group is nearly dead.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

Then why do you consistently post to alt.hvac?????
Jus wunnerin....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, I'm concerned. Which is why I don't give out such
information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article , cayoung61
says...

That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

Hey, Stormin, do you keep the requisite year's worth of food
on hand?
Aren't you afraid that your neighbors will find out and
steal it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Stealing a Generac is rather pointless and not particularly easy
considering that it's bolted to a concrete slab and has to be plumbed
into a natural gas line in order to operate.

YAWN... http://www.generac.com/Portables/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 9:19*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

[...]

You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.- Hide quoted text -

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 2:50*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, I'm concerned. Which is why I don't give out such
information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

in.local...
In article , cayoung61
says...

That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

Hey, Stormin, do you keep the requisite year's worth of food
on hand?
Aren't you afraid that your neighbors will find out and
steal it?

Storming...I will give you a clue.

After a few weeks when you aren't starving with the rest of the
neighbors they will figure it out. When they are pulling in their
belts and you are still walking around nice and chubby they will come
look you up...and expect some food.

No number of guns will keep them from sharing some of your good
fortune.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote:

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

I don't know the man, I saw it on the news a few years ago. I got the
impression that he was staying with someone during the hurricane, since
a lot of areas were under mandatory evacuations and that the portable
generator was brand new. Con men were trying to sell 500 W Chinese
generators for $4,000 out of the back of U-haul trucks until the police
cracked down on the thieves and sent them back north. Most of the
thieves were from NY and NJ.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 11:57*pm, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
* down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

--Winston

It also has a smart system that can prioritize what things should run
(like a sump pump). I'm just not sure of the longevity of these types
of systems, but I'm sure that they'd be more reliable than something
that was cobbled together.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:09:38 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Denis G." wrote:

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

I don't know the man, I saw it on the news a few years ago. I got the
impression that he was staying with someone during the hurricane, since
a lot of areas were under mandatory evacuations and that the portable
generator was brand new. Con men were trying to sell 500 W Chinese
generators for $4,000 out of the back of U-haul trucks until the police
cracked down on the thieves and sent them back north. Most of the
thieves were from NY and NJ.

They usually are.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:57:59 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

Oops! Is it "future" yet?

--snip--
Q: Will the system run if there is a power outage?

A: The freewatt product is configured for cost savings, energy
conservation, and environmental value, but will shut off if the grid
goes down and automatically restart once grid power is restored. Your
freewatt dealer can provide you with options for keeping heat and
power on at your home if there is a grid outage and this is of concern
to you. If the future, the freewatt product will be offered in
versions that can operate during a grid outage.
--snip--

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:57:59 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

--Winston

Wow..Im impressed!!

The MCHP unit, produced by the Honda Motor Company, uses an internal
combustion engine to produce both heat and electric power. This unit is
an incredibly quiet (only 47 dBA at 1 meter) long life small
engine-generator that has already been installed in over 50,000 homes in
Japan. The engine runs on clean natural gas and can be located in a
basement or utility room. This engine produces 1,200 watts of electric
power and about 12,000 BTUs per hour of heat for the home.

a full 1200 watts!!..Why..thats almost enough to run an electric frying
pan or griddle!

It may even run 4-5 lightbulbs and a TV set! Cool !!!

But Ill stay with my 4000 watt Onan

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:57 pm, wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

--Winston

It also has a smart system that can prioritize what things should run
(like a sump pump). I'm just not sure of the longevity of these types
of systems, but I'm sure that they'd be more reliable than something
that was cobbled together.

The beauty of a different approach is that one
could power one's house during a blackout.
Freewatt *does* say that they are planning a product
that will do that, some time in the future.

Just not now.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:57:59 -0800,
wrote:

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

Oops! Is it "future" yet?

Nope. Freewatt is still in 'waving hands mode'.

--Winston --Wait for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 15, 8:17*am, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:57 pm, *wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

He might want to look into micro CHP systems like this one:
http://www.freewatt.com/micro.asp
More expensive, but it's built into the house.

Hmmm.

"The freewatt product (...) will shut off if the grid goes
* *down and automatically restart once grid power is restored."

--Winston

It also has a smart system that can prioritize what things should run
(like a sump pump). *I'm just not sure of the longevity of these types
of systems, but I'm sure that they'd be more reliable than something
that was cobbled together.

The beauty of a different approach is that one
could power one's house during a blackout.
Freewatt *does* say that they are planning a product
that will do that, some time in the future.

Just not now.

--Winston- Hide quoted text -

My understanding is that the system can automatically give you backup
power (of 1200 watts) when the grid goes down. The system disconnects
from the grid (outside feed) for safety reasons, but it still supplies
you with electrical power for your house during a blackout. I'm not
sure why the generator that they offer is so modest, but it seems that
it wouldn't be hard to increase the size of the genset. I assume that
the economics of providing a long life extremely reliable system is
the big hurdle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

My understanding is that the system can automatically give you backup
power (of 1200 watts) when the grid goes down.

While it is shut off?
"(...) but will shut off if the grid goes down(...)"

The system disconnects
from the grid (outside feed) for safety reasons, but it still supplies
you with electrical power for your house during a blackout.

That's the opposite of what they say in the FAQ.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 15, 1:08*pm, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

My understanding is that the system can automatically give you backup
power (of 1200 watts) when the grid goes down.

While it is shut off?
"(...) but will shut off if the grid goes down(...)"

The system disconnects
from the grid (outside feed) for safety reasons, but it still supplies
you with electrical power for your house during a blackout.

That's the opposite of what they say in the FAQ.

--Winston

Hmmm... Ok, I missed that. Maybe the system is configured like that
for legal reasons.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:
On Nov 15, 1:08 pm, wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

My understanding is that the system can automatically give you backup
power (of 1200 watts) when the grid goes down.

While it is shut off?
"(...) but will shut off if the grid goes down(...)"

The system disconnects
from the grid (outside feed) for safety reasons, but it still supplies
you with electrical power for your house during a blackout.

That's the opposite of what they say in the FAQ.

--Winston

Hmmm... Ok, I missed that. Maybe the system is configured like that
for legal reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid-tie_inverter

A grid-tie inverter like theirs would have to
change in order to source it's own reference
voltage for 'intentional island' use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islanding

Currently it *needs* the incoming sinewave
in order to set it's instantaneous output voltage.
It is a design requirement for tying to the
grid, not an added feature.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 05:06:00 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:57:59 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

[...]

A survivalist with an electric frying pan? What is next, an electric
can opener?

--
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:53:14 -0800 (PST), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Nov 15, 8:17*am, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:57 pm, *wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

[...]

Probably because they are basing the unit on one of their existing
gen-sets, likely derated for LPG fuel. And very likely, based on
market surveys, that is the size that will have the highest sales.

--
John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:57:59 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

[...]

Of course.

The gensets are used at ones HOME. If one has the means to utilize
existing tools...one would be a fool not to use them.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 12:43*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

That's a very sobering comment, and better than
anything I could have written. I'm a believer in
Christian charity and service. I'm also a believer
in not getting trampled, abused, and taken advantage.

Then why do you consistently post to alt.hvac?????
Jus wunnerin....
--
EA

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
om...

[...]

Here's the cat's meow. Get rid of all that recip machinery and it's
inefficiency: http://www.bloomenergy.com/

Generators HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 33 October 1st 11 12:43 PM
ETQ generators? zxcvbob Home Repair 7 December 30th 10 04:31 AM
O/T generators Andy R UK diy 31 March 23rd 06 02:25 PM
OT - Generators Dan Metalworking 9 September 14th 05 06:12 PM
Generators Sparks UK diy 15 September 10th 05 12:48 AM