Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Building a Container Ship

Made for TV documentary on the building of the Eugen Maersk.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1320282760

Good video of the diesel engine alignment and installation, including
a brief look at the fantastically large crank shaft.

Check out the propeller and propeller shaft. You can see the prop
shaft was turned between centers on what must be and absolutely
GIGANTIC ship yard lathe.

Worth the ten minute view time if this sort of thing remotely gets
your metal working juices flowing.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 2, 10:17*pm, wrote:
Made for TV documentary on the building of the Eugen Maersk.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1320282760

Good video of the diesel engine alignment and installation, including
a brief look at the fantastically large crank shaft.

Check out the propeller and propeller shaft. You can see the prop
shaft was turned between centers on what must be and absolutely
GIGANTIC ship yard lathe.

Worth the ten minute view time if this sort of thing remotely gets
your metal working juices flowing.
Dave

Thanks for the post.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 21:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Nov 2, 10:17*pm, wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1320282760
Dave

Thanks for the post.
TMT

Here is the second posted part:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=455_1320288128

It includes seating the propeller using the world's biggest washer and
nut. And installing the drive shaft.

This ship is huge and estimated to be able to handle 15,000 shipping
containers all at once.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Made for TV documentary on the building of the Eugen Maersk.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1320282760

Good video of the diesel engine alignment and installation, including
a brief look at the fantastically large crank shaft.

Check out the propeller and propeller shaft. You can see the prop
shaft was turned between centers on what must be and absolutely
GIGANTIC ship yard lathe.

Worth the ten minute view time if this sort of thing remotely gets
your metal working juices flowing.
Dave

Reminds me of redoing my 55 Chebbie, just slightly smaller.

I liked the way someone was smart enough to put a tag line on that huge
shackle. I've used them that big.

And I was curious about the prop. All we ever worked on was four fluted
props.

The nut sure went on there easily, they must have been spot on in
fabrication.

A little unerwhelmed at the ladder in the opening scene.

All in all, though, fantastic.

All that stuff made separately, and coming together.

Oh, I imagine there was a screwup now and again.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2011 10:17 PM, lid wrote:
Made for TV documentary on the building of the Eugen Maersk.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1320282760

Good video of the diesel engine alignment and installation, including
a brief look at the fantastically large crank shaft.

Check out the propeller and propeller shaft. You can see the prop
shaft was turned between centers on what must be and absolutely
GIGANTIC ship yard lathe.

Worth the ten minute view time if this sort of thing remotely gets
your metal working juices flowing.
Dave

That was actually part 3 of 5
Have a link to the rest of them?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/3/2011 9:31 AM, Richard wrote:
On 11/2/2011 10:17 PM, lid wrote:
Made for TV documentary on the building of the Eugen Maersk.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1320282760

Good video of the diesel engine alignment and installation, including
a brief look at the fantastically large crank shaft.

Check out the propeller and propeller shaft. You can see the prop
shaft was turned between centers on what must be and absolutely
GIGANTIC ship yard lathe.

Worth the ten minute view time if this sort of thing remotely gets
your metal working juices flowing.
Dave

That was actually part 3 of 5
Have a link to the rest of them?

Never mind. I found it on Youtube
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 09:59:14 -0500, Richard
wrote:

That was actually part 3 of 5
Have a link to the rest of them?

Never mind. I found it on Youtube

Here's the YT links for everybody else.
Dave

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWIOnKrv4Mw

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE6R8qwz2CY

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfBnW-EEhIs

part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTWeI0Sx6WE

part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Toe6XnEqA

Container cooling Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 22 July 26th 11 01:10 AM
Container for mercury Matty F UK diy 77 May 10th 11 09:55 PM
Building Pharaoh's Ship DGDevin Woodworking 26 November 25th 10 08:24 PM
Container hardware SteveB Metalworking 8 June 22nd 08 09:17 PM
Using used plastic container for oil Ted Bennett Metalworking 18 October 26th 05 04:04 PM