Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to make a speedbump-like concrete dam?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:16:23 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 10/14/2011 10:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 14, 2:41 am, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
On 10/13/2011 9:24 PM, Ignoramus21718 wrote:

My factory building has two bay type garage doors.

One of them faces a parking lot, which happens to be so very slightly
above the floor level inside the building. So, during a rain, wates
ingresses the building.

I knew about it when I bought the place and this is basically not that
big of a deal, as water goes into a drain, and it is not a lot of
it.

The place used to have an asphalt speedbump-like dam, that let trucks
drive over it and yet kept water out of the building. That structure
is in shambles now and, so, water gets in.

I would like to do it the right way, to keep water out, and to be able
to drive over it. What should I do, call a concrete guy, asphalt guy,
DIY, or what?

What sort of structure has a good chance of having a long life
expectancy and keep water out?

I have the same problem once or twice a year when the drain gets
overwhelmed. We have a small forklift on that side with small tires so
I can't put any permanent obstruction there. So, we have a pile of
sandbags on each side of the door and can quickly place them if it's
raining extremely hard or if a storm is expected in the night. It's
very cheap and works perfectly.- Hide quoted text -

What if no storm is expected an it's a holiday morning or you're
dressed in the "Sunday go to meeting" clothes as that unexpected storm
blows through?

Can you honestly tell use that you been able to get the sandbags in
place just prior to the "once or twice a year" that your drain are
about to get overwhelmed?

Do the bags result in the shut down of your operation since the
forklift can't get over the sandbags?

Yep, I've had to drive the 20 miles to put sandbags in the doorway.
There is a trench with a steel grate there too but the drain pipe goes
straight through that part of the building, two floor drains are on that
pipe, then it goes out the back and dumps on the rail siding. The pipe
is only 4"...it should have been a LOT bigger!

Sooooo, why didn't you add another 4" pipe for the downstream
downpipe? (Sorry if I injected logic into the forum.)

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/14/2011 7:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
\\
Sooooo, why didn't you add another 4" pipe for the downstream
downpipe? (Sorry if I injected logic into the forum.)

Well gee...let's see, how much to cut 80' of concrete floor to do the
job right? $20 for sand bags every three years just kinda' makes more
sense. And, like I have anything better to do than drive to the shop
every once in a while. Hey I'm cheap, what can I say?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 00:03:18 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 10/14/2011 7:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
\\
Sooooo, why didn't you add another 4" pipe for the downstream
downpipe? (Sorry if I injected logic into the forum.)

Well gee...let's see, how much to cut 80' of concrete floor to do the
job right?

Maybe $100 for the cutter rental and concrete bags + 1 workday to do
it. Wouldn't the guys in the shop help? I can hear it now "Hey, can
I run that cutter for awhile?" and the reply would be "OK, if you help
load the pieces it cuts out on the trailer and take it to the dump."
Where's your sense of adventure, girl?

$20 for sand bags every three years just kinda' makes more
sense.

Plus a wee bit of hassle how many times a year in the middle of the
night in a rainstorm?

And, like I have anything better to do than drive to the shop
every once in a while. Hey I'm cheap, what can I say?

This isn't outside? My gutters and downspouts are.
Maybe I'm mixing up Ig's warehouse with yours.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt