buck

Default Do they make a concrete mix that.... Little OT

Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Thomas Kendrick

A few questions regarding your requirements:
1. How much weight reduction are you willing to pay for?
2. What load does it need to sustain and in which dimension?
3. What are the appearance considerations?
4. Does the material need to "cure" from a slurry to a firm solid like
concrete or can it already be a solid? Is the concrete-type so that it
will pour into the form OR so that other things can be imbedded into
it without drilling/gluing?

Here are some ideas:
A. 8" o.d. steel pipe 36" long painted gray, recessed steel disk
welded into each end, concrete fill in the recess flush with end of
pipe.
B. 8" o.d. aluminum pipe 36" long, recessed steel disks connected by
4" steel pipe, flush concrete fill in the recesses.
C. Engineered lumber frame/form wrapped in metal mesh filled with
concrete.
D. White pine or fir frame covered in metal mesh. Concrete mixture is
plastered onto the metal mesh to bring the finished form to full
diameter and length. The wood bears the required load

The density can be reduced in several ways:
- replace part of the concrete mix with lower-density solids
- put the concrete only at the necessary points and connect with
metal/wood which may contain air spaces
- cast the concrete around a closed form within the tube creating a
hollow cylinder. The form stands off the bottom on chairs used for
highway mesh

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:39:55 -0700, "buck"
wrote:

Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Several possibilities, on commercial buildings a lightweight concrete
is used for building up roof areas for proper drainage to drains. This
is pumped to the roof, looks like gypsum. Gypsum floor leveler may be
another option. Mortar mix with vermiculite as a filler?
Never tried this , just a thought.
mike

Lee Michaels

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but
don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Just a suggestion.

I would look into the kind of concrete used in pouring the chimneys. It is
a lightweight concrete that uses some kind of insulating, lightweight
aggregrate. (pearllite?) They pour it into old chimneys to make them fire
proof and stronger.

I don't know anything about it. Just saw it on TOH.

Leon

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but
don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Yes there and it is commonly found at Home Depot or Lowe's. IIRC Sackrete
makes Maxamizer. While still heavy typically 3, 80-90 lb. bags will cover
the same area of 5 regular 80-90 lb. bags.

Wes Stewart

wrote:

Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Maybe some info on the application would help. DAGS for lightweight
concrete and you'll get a lot of alternatives.

buck

Hey Tom.... Some great ideas.... I like your engineering mind. What I need
is a wet type mix that can be poured into the size form that I
mentioned..... Concrete would be perfect but would be about 100 pounds when
done..... Looking for something that would have the approx strength of
concrete but when done would weight maybe 50-60 pounds. No other solution
will work such as pipes, wood, wire, etc. I thought that maybe their was a
"plastic type" mixture that would end up weighing less.... like a
concrete/plastic mix.
-Thanks for all the great thinking...

news:1107175182.88cf3ae4e447fa1be53190d869669dff@t eranews...

wrote:

Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to

fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but

don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Joe

They used to make (still do?) cinder blocks from concrete and syrofoam... I
think you had to fill them with concrete after the wall was built up
though...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Mark Jerde

buck wrote:
Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons.

Google for
concrete canoe

One of the contests the engineering students had when I was in college
('77-'82) was building a canoe out of concrete. I saw one that wasn't
successful -- concrete with small styrofoam balls as the filler. Other
designs were more successful. Over 200,000 google hits. Good luck. ;-)

-- Mark

Joe

Google for
concrete canoe

One of the contests the engineering students had when I was in college
('77-'82) was building a canoe out of concrete. I saw one that wasn't
successful -- concrete with small Styrofoam balls as the filler. Other
designs were more successful. Over 200,000 google hits. Good luck.
;-)Maybe try "concrete canoe" (quotes help)

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
buck wrote:
Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons.

Google for
concrete canoe

One of the contests the engineering students had when I was in college
('77-'82) was building a canoe out of concrete. I saw one that wasn't
successful -- concrete with small styrofoam balls as the filler. Other
designs were more successful. Over 200,000 google hits. Good luck. ;-)

-- Mark

Joe

Argh... That was supposed to simply say:

"Try 'concrete canue' as the quotes help"
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Mark Jerde

.... or a simple url... ;-)
http://www.google.com/search?q=concrete+canoe

-- Mark

Joe wrote:
Argh... That was supposed to simply say:

"Try 'concrete canue' as the quotes help"

Concrete canoes are built using concrete with a high strength to weight
ratio and often some complex reinforcement. This is a different problem than
trying to find the lightest concrete. I'd think something with vermiculite
or pumice as an aggregate would be a better choice. A high slump mix so the
stuff doesn't float to the top.

-j

Joe wrote:
Argh... That was supposed to simply say:

"Try 'concrete canue' as the quotes help"

buck

I now deem that this thread is dead..... Once we get into concrete canoes I
draw the line.... LOL
Thanks to all for great ideas.

david

Expanding polyurethane ?

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:08:15 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe"
spake:

Argh... That was supposed to simply say:

"Try 'concrete canue' as the quotes help"

"Concrete canoe" will probably work even better, Joe.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Joe

"Concrete canoe" will probably work even better, Joe.

"Koncrete Kanue" is what I had in mind to type...

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:25:02 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe"
spake:

"Concrete canoe" will probably work even better, Joe.

"Koncrete Kanue" is what I had in mind to type...

Go for it. You might even find someone who spelled it that
way. I called one of my t-shirt lines the "Schnazzy" collection.
Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only
difference is that I -intended- to do that.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Joe

Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only
difference is that I -intended- to do that.

Sure... rub it in.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:32:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe"
spake:

Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only
difference is that I -intended- to do that.

Sure... rub it in.

Ah, you betcha.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Old Nick

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:25:02 -0500, "Joe"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Concrete canoe" will probably work even better, Joe.

"Koncrete Kanue" is what I had in mind to type...

But that's only for Kunadiuns and people from Canvas Sity....
Old Nick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:39:55 -0700, "buck"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

As Thomnas has sadi, are you sure it needs to be solid?

ALso, depends on your level of desire and skill, bu a combination of
styrofoam and glass strand impregnation would make the concrete both
stronger (thinner) and lighter. Styro balls will weaken the concrete.
The lighter you get, the more balls you need....... to trust it! Ark
ark boom boom........

Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't
want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
-TIA

Greg

Actually Ytong concrete will float. It was going to be the miracle building
material but US building inspectors seemed to hate it. Might make a boat
Andrew Barss

buck wrote:
: Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like
: concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or
: something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill
: up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't
: want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.

Poke around forums on vacuum veneering, like

http://www.vacupress.com

You'll find info on dense foam products that are both lightweight and
strong eoungh to withstand a lot of compression.

-- Andy Barss
Charles Krug

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:13:29 -0800, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:32:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe"
spake:

Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only
difference is that I -intended- to do that.

Sure... rub it in.

Ah, you betcha.

Had a guy in our hometown who spent 10+ years building a boat out of
concrete and steel, poured in place.

All that's necessary for it to float is that it displace enough water,
and as most of the volume is air (think about it) it wasn't that tall an
order, much as my 7yo self had trouble believing it.

Charles Spitzer

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:32:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe"
spake:

Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only
difference is that I -intended- to do that.

Sure... rub it in.

Ah, you betcha.

Had a guy in our hometown who spent 10+ years building a boat out of
concrete and steel, poured in place.

All that's necessary for it to float is that it displace enough water,
and as most of the volume is air (think about it) it wasn't that tall an
order, much as my 7yo self had trouble believing it.

concrete boats have been around for a long time. they work well, until the
internal metal support starts to rust.

Robert Bonomi

wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:32:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe"
spake:

Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only
difference is that I -intended- to do that.

Sure... rub it in.

Ah, you betcha.

Had a guy in our hometown who spent 10+ years building a boat out of
concrete and steel, poured in place.

All that's necessary for it to float is that it displace enough water,
and as most of the volume is air (think about it) it wasn't that tall an
order, much as my 7yo self had trouble believing it.

When my _father_ was in secondary school the *first* of the big crepe-soled
shoes came out. A local shoe store put a fish-tank in their window, with
about a half-tank of water, and one of these shoes floating thereon. Big
sign: "So light it *FLOATS*!!" Some smart-ass kid (no _not_ my father!)
took a sheet of his notebook paper, and stuck it to the aforementioned
window with a couple of those glue-on re-inforcing rings for the punched
holes, and then scribbled on the paper "So does a battleship".

The entire display was _gone_, the next day.