Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Upside - down saber saw?

Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

I think it would be ultra kewl to make a garden gate
with one of Lemony Snicket's deliciously creepy
Evil Eyes featured near the top.

--Winston

Where on-line do I find a pic of those particular creepy Evil Eyes?

They are seen in various forms throughout the film.
The one I find compelling (and am unable to find on
the net) is in the form of a sort of 'Steampunk Solar
Weapon' in the top of a tower, wielded by
Klaus Baudelaire to rescue his sister during the
'Woeful Wedding' sequence.

It is the tool described in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baudelaire_family
To wit:
"In the movie version of the first three books, during
the time when Olaf is forcing Violet to marry him,
Klaus finds a giant magnifying glass which focuses
the light. He finds that it is a clear shot to the
house, indicating that Olaf used this glass as a
method of arson."

Some wonderful 'eye' image files come up as search
results of 'Steampunk evil eye':
http://goo.gl/6LXTz
http://goo.gl/1pNRv
http://goo.gl/Tep5i

(I've heard of Lemony Snicket but never read/saw the books/flicks or
whatever.)

I found the film _A Series Of Unfortunate Events_
quite entertaining. The end of the sequence
_The letter that never came_ is Violet Baudelaire
reading a letter that finally arrives from her
murdered parents. It reduced me to babbling
tears. It ends:

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and
sinister place. But believe us when we say there
is much more good in it than bad. All you have
to do is look hard enough. And what seems to be
a series of unfortunate events, may in fact, be
the fist steps of a journey."

I did a jeweler's workbench once: exotic wood top, legs/ends embodied
creepy eyes in metal but more giggly than Evil -- sort of Kilroy Was
Here meets Henry Moore. I don't think I have a pic.

Sounds very cool!
Post a link if you do run across a pic, please.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

I think it would be ultra kewl to make a garden gate
with one of Lemony Snicket's deliciously creepy
Evil Eyes featured near the top.

--Winston

Where on-line do I find a pic of those particular creepy Evil Eyes?

They are seen in various forms throughout the film.
The one I find compelling (and am unable to find on
the net) is in the form of a sort of 'Steampunk Solar
Weapon'

Found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y38fOQ1Byc&NR=1

Scroll to 1:41 for the only picture I found.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

The unconstrained tip of the blade is in the air above the workpiece
most of the time. That is the bit that waggles laterally, causing
binding inside the kerf.

I recall encountering this with a carpenter's saw cutting wood. The
solution there is to slow the stroke rate. Is there any way you can
do that with your sabre saw? I suppose if you put it on a rheostat,
it would either fry or not run at all. Or not?

Probably be faster to sandwich the steel under
a couple Styrofoam sheets.
That way the blade gets constrained by the combined
workpiece. Hmmm. Must try that!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Spencer wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:25:06 -0700,
wrote:

Still looking for a 'worm transmission' after all these years.

Old roto-tiller -- a worm on the shaft from the engine drives a worm
wheel on the tine shaft.

Also an old automatic stoker from a coal furnace. I've rigged several
useful ad-hoceries from one of the latter. A 3450 RPM motor produces 6
RPM output.

Here's a use-once widget for rotating 3-1/2" thick-wall tube while
beveling and then butt-welding:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/img/bearing.jpg

and here's the same furnace stoker gear box set up for reciprocating
motion:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/shop/lap-anvil.html

And here's the same gear box driving the original stoker screw to
crush oversize forge coal:

http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/temp/crusher.html

Excellent suggestions and excellent bodges.
Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:03:49 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

I think it would be ultra kewl to make a garden gate
with one of Lemony Snicket's deliciously creepy
Evil Eyes featured near the top.

--Winston

Where on-line do I find a pic of those particular creepy Evil Eyes?

Some wonderful 'eye' image files come up as search
results of 'Steampunk evil eye':
http://goo.gl/6LXTz

Cat's eye! Gets my vote.

(I've heard of Lemony Snicket but never read/saw the books/flicks or
whatever.)

I found the film _A Series Of Unfortunate Events_
quite entertaining. The end of the sequence
_The letter that never came_ is Violet Baudelaire
reading a letter that finally arrives from her
murdered parents. It reduced me to babbling
tears. It ends:

I was pleasantly surprised to _like_ a Jim Carey movie. He's a great
comedian when he's not being a total ass.

"At? times the world can seem an unfriendly and
sinister place. But believe us when we say there
is much more good in it than bad. All you have
to do is look hard enough. And what seems to be
a series of unfortunate events, may in fact, be
the fist steps of a journey."

Yeah, that was a good one.

I did a jeweler's workbench once: exotic wood top, legs/ends embodied
creepy eyes in metal but more giggly than Evil -- sort of Kilroy Was
Here meets Henry Moore. I don't think I have a pic.

Sounds very cool!
Post a link if you do run across a pic, please.

I never understood what people saw in Moore's carvings.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:17:59 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Winston wrote:
Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

I think it would be ultra kewl to make a garden gate
with one of Lemony Snicket's deliciously creepy
Evil Eyes featured near the top.

--Winston

Where on-line do I find a pic of those particular creepy Evil Eyes?

They are seen in various forms throughout the film.
The one I find compelling (and am unable to find on
the net) is in the form of a sort of 'Steampunk Solar
Weapon'

Found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y38fOQ1Byc&NR=1

Scroll to 1:41 for the only picture I found.

"Why is that eye 'evil'"? he queried.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I was pleasantly surprised to _like_ a Jim Carey movie. He's a great
comedian when he's not being a total ass.

If you want 'needy camera mugging' Jim's your guy.
_A Series.._ was a big commercial for him.

OTOH His 'Count Olaff' was quite appropriately
icky and believable.

(...)

Found another picture of the 'Steampunk Light Weapon'
Check 1:02 of:
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi513147161/

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

"Why is that eye 'evil'"? he queried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

It was used to burn down the Baudelaire home
in the film.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 06:44:13 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

"Why is that eye 'evil'"? he queried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

It was used to burn down the Baudelaire home
in the film.

But it's a useful telescope/magnifying glass in its "good" mode.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 06:44:13 -0700,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

"Why is that eye 'evil'"? he queried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

It was used to burn down the Baudelaire home
in the film.

But it's a useful telescope/magnifying glass in its "good" mode.

Hey, I don't make the definitions!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 06:37:25 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I was pleasantly surprised to _like_ a Jim Carey movie. He's a great
comedian when he's not being a total ass.

If you want 'needy camera mugging' Jim's your guy.
_A Series.._ was a big commercial for him.

OTOH His 'Count Olaff' was quite appropriately
icky and believable.

(...)

Found another picture of the 'Steampunk Light Weapon'
Check 1:02 of:
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi513147161/

Gawdjus, as was Emily Browning (in JB mode at fifteen).
Have you seen "Sucker Punch"? Another very odd and fun waste of time,
but Emily's all growed up now.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3515136768/nm0115161

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

but Emily's all growed up now.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3515136768/nm0115161

They sure troweled on the makeup.
Sad really.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:17:57 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

but Emily's all growed up now.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3515136768/nm0115161

They sure troweled on the makeup.
Sad really.

Yeah, the women nowadays use more than Great Aunt Sally did when she
was 94, huh?

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:17:57 -0700,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

but Emily's all growed up now.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3515136768/nm0115161

They sure troweled on the makeup.
Sad really.

Yeah, the women nowadays use more than Great Aunt Sally did when she
was 94, huh?

I don't think they have much of a choice.
We are like dinner plates, but shallow.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-03, Mike Spencer wrote:

Winston writes:

The unconstrained tip of the blade is in the air above the workpiece
most of the time. That is the bit that waggles laterally, causing
binding inside the kerf.

I recall encountering this with a carpenter's saw cutting wood. The
solution there is to slow the stroke rate. Is there any way you can
do that with your sabre saw? I suppose if you put it on a rheostat,
it would either fry or not run at all. Or not?

If it is a brush type motor, (as mine is), it will probably work
fine with something like a electric light dimmer -- if the Wattage of
the dimmer is high enough.

Or -- a Variac/Powerstat/Variable auto transformer would do as
well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564