Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Range Levitation

Tomorrow afternoon, I will receive a kitchen range
to replace the stunningly awful one I bought previously.

In order to lift the old unit out and ease the new one
in, I put a wheelbarrow inner tube on the deck of my
little flat cart. A piece of plywood forms the top
of this neoprene sandwich. I removed the pan drawer
on the bottom of the range and insert the cart
underneath the range.
On inflation of the tube, the range floats up!

I tested it this afternoon and it lifted the old range
easily, allowing me to slide it out of it's niche in
the counter. As you can imagine, the rig is not
overly stable and does require steadying.
That is a small price to pay, considering that the
lifting itself is as easy as pie.

--Winston -- Next, a bunch of inner tubes to
float my car in the air so I can
service the tires easily!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:02:09 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Tomorrow afternoon, I will receive a kitchen range
to replace the stunningly awful one I bought previously.

In order to lift the old unit out and ease the new one
in, I put a wheelbarrow inner tube on the deck of my
little flat cart. A piece of plywood forms the top
of this neoprene sandwich. I removed the pan drawer
on the bottom of the range and insert the cart
underneath the range.
On inflation of the tube, the range floats up!

I tested it this afternoon and it lifted the old range
easily, allowing me to slide it out of it's niche in
the counter. As you can imagine, the rig is not
overly stable and does require steadying.
That is a small price to pay, considering that the
lifting itself is as easy as pie.

That sure beats a trip to the chiropractor, Rube!

--Winston -- Next, a bunch of inner tubes to
float my car in the air so I can
service the tires easily!

Oy vay!

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:02:09 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

That sure beats a trip to the chiropractor, Rube!

As I am fond of muttering whilst observing some
poor lifting technique: "new spines must be very
cheap!"

--Winston-- Next, a bunch of inner tubes to
float my car in the air so I can
service the tires easily!

Oy vay!

You-Tube! You-Tube! You-Tube!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:50:25 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:02:09 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

That sure beats a trip to the chiropractor, Rube!

As I am fond of muttering whilst observing some
poor lifting technique: "new spines must be very
cheap!"

Scary, innit?

--Winston-- Next, a bunch of inner tubes to
float my car in the air so I can
service the tires easily!

Oy vay!

You-Tube! You-Tube! You-Tube!

Yes, under the "Hold my beer and watch this!" category.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:50:25 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

You-Tube! You-Tube! You-Tube!

Yes, under the "Hold my beer and watch this!" category.

I am unanimous in this.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 28, 10:02*pm, Winston wrote:
Tomorrow afternoon, I will receive a kitchen range
to replace the stunningly awful one I bought previously.

In order to lift the old unit out and ease the new one
in, I put a wheelbarrow inner tube on the deck of my
little flat cart. *A piece of plywood forms the top
of this neoprene sandwich. *I removed the pan drawer
on the bottom of the range and insert the cart
underneath the range.
On inflation of the tube, the range floats up!

I tested it this afternoon and it lifted the old range
easily, allowing me to slide it out of it's niche in
the counter. *As you can imagine, the rig is not
overly stable and does require steadying.
That is a small price to pay, considering that the
lifting itself is as easy as pie.

--Winston *-- Next, a bunch of inner tubes to
* * * * * * * * float my car in the air so I can
* * * * * * * * service the tires easily! *

As a makeshift, it works. HF has a couple models of very nice
hydraulic tables, I've used one for several years to do the same sorts
of thing and it's a little more stable. Very handy for loading and
unloading my utility trailer.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

(...)

I just borrow the lift bags from the station as needed. 10 tons of
lifting force in a 2' square X 1" thick package.

I didn't think of that! I'll call you next time.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

(...)

I just borrow the lift bags from the station as needed. 10 tons of
lifting force in a 2' square X 1" thick package.

I didn't think of that! I'll call you next time.

--Winston

They have been used a LOT more in my shop than we have used them in the
field! Just don't let the Chief know
--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

(...)

They have been used a LOT more in my shop than we have used them in the
field! Just don't let the Chief know

I figure he's getting more than his money's worth.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:37:50 -0700, Winston

(...)

As a makeshift, it works. HF has a couple models of very nice
hydraulic tables, I've used one for several years to do the same sorts
of thing and it's a little more stable. Very handy for loading and
unloading my utility trailer.

I bought one a few years ago and converted it to
'battery' operation. It works great but the huge
offroad wheels I attached to it means that it
doesn't fit underneath much anymore.

Cantilever dem pups, boy.
===| |===
0 |=============| 0

Hey, check out the "hog spring-loaded" casters:
http://www.algood-casters.com/custom-casters.html
Schwing bling, wot? I love it!

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Range Levitation: Epilog

The old range is out and the new range is installed
and working! The cart I mentioned really needs some
kind of mechanism to maintain co-planarity with the
floor. It is too giggly and requires close attention
as is.

Perhaps something cheap like:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2318
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...460-01-500.jpg

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:26:08 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:50:25 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

You-Tube! You-Tube! You-Tube!

Yes, under the "Hold my beer and watch this!" category.

I am unanimous in this.

No, they make airbag jacks to do exactly that. Anywhere between 24"
and 36" square, and Steel-Belted so thy reduce the chance of
unintended punctures.

They'll move a lot of weight when you combine a few hundred PSI and
a generous quantity of SI's for the Ps to work off.

Perfect for when someone has a cement truck land on top of their
car, Dispatch says the Crane will be two hours, and if they want to
get the passengers out while they're still alive they need to make it
move in a hurry - they stack cribbing to fill the gap, stick in the
lift bags, then inflate and "Up she goes!"

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:

(...)

No, they make airbag jacks to do exactly that. Anywhere between 24"
and 36" square, and Steel-Belted so thy reduce the chance of
unintended punctures.

They'll move a lot of weight when you combine a few hundred PSI and
a generous quantity of SI's for the Ps to work off.

Perfect for when someone has a cement truck land on top of their
car, Dispatch says the Crane will be two hours, and if they want to
get the passengers out while they're still alive they need to make it
move in a hurry - they stack cribbing to fill the gap, stick in the
lift bags, then inflate and "Up she goes!"

And excellent tools they are.
An inner tube, an airbag does not make, though.

--Winston -- Munged Human

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:50:25 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

You-Tube! You-Tube! You-Tube!
Yes, under the "Hold my beer and watch this!" category.

I am unanimous in this.

No, they make airbag jacks to do exactly that. Anywhere between 24"
and 36" square, and Steel-Belted so thy reduce the chance of
unintended punctures.

They'll move a lot of weight when you combine a few hundred PSI and
a generous quantity of SI's for the Ps to work off.

Perfect for when someone has a cement truck land on top of their
car, Dispatch says the Crane will be two hours, and if they want to
get the passengers out while they're still alive they need to make it
move in a hurry - they stack cribbing to fill the gap, stick in the
lift bags, then inflate and "Up she goes!"

-- Bruce --

Yup, very nice tools to have.
Just keep saying "jack an inch - crib an inch"
Our biggest bags are 36" the smallest is a tiny 10"
The small ones are handy inside buildings.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:50:25 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

You-Tube! You-Tube! You-Tube!

Yes, under the "Hold my beer and watch this!" category.

I am unanimous in this.

No, they make airbag jacks to do exactly that. Anywhere between 24"
and 36" square, and Steel-Belted so thy reduce the chance of
unintended punctures.

Yabbut, those are trained professionals, not Winnie. gd&r

They'll move a lot of weight when you combine a few hundred PSI and
a generous quantity of SI's for the Ps to work off.

Perfect for when someone has a cement truck land on top of their
car, Dispatch says the Crane will be two hours, and if they want to
get the passengers out while they're still alive they need to make it
move in a hurry - they stack cribbing to fill the gap, stick in the
lift bags, then inflate and "Up she goes!"

They do the same thing after bombs or earthquakes take down buildings.
Mighty handy li'l things.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Yabbut, those are trained professionals, not Winnie.gd&r

Tee shirt: Closed course. Trained driver. Do not attempt.

--Winston

range day Karl Townsend Metalworking 61 December 11th 09 01:11 AM
new range JP Home Repair 0 November 21st 08 11:10 PM
Gas Range Help The Manin Dude Home Repair 5 September 7th 08 08:56 AM
Replacing range vent with microwave, what to do with range hoodwiring Eugene[_2_] Home Repair 4 July 20th 08 07:45 PM
Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better? Stan Home Repair 6 January 15th 05 02:45 AM