Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Depleted uranium is destroying life

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Gray Guest on Wed, 28 Sep 2011 22:27:44
+0000 (UTC) typed in misc.survivalism the following:
"Leroy N. Soetoro" wrote in
:

Yet when we attacked Iraq in
2003, we dropped between 1000 to 2000 tons of depleted uranium, a known
Weapon of Mass Nuclear Destruction in a three-week period. This is a war
crime unto itself.

Err, umm, BULL****.

Egad, but that is hysterically funny. I mean, they have no clue
as to what deleted uranium even is, but they know that Uranium is
involved in atomic bombs somehow, so it must be the only way it is
used. Like the idiots who freak out when you tell them that
di-hydrogen monoxide has proved lethal. Or cry when they learn that
computers are made by melting down silicon crystals, killing the
little crystals.

I'm sorry, but the idiot who wrote that, has absolutely no
understanding of chemistry, physics, or reality. Must be a post-Doc
candidate in Victim Studies. Too much time in college has made them
gullible and stupid.
--
pyotr filipivich

Sounds like it was written by a personal injury lawyer, call 1-800.......
get millions. Let the class action begin.

Best Regards
Tom.
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Actually, DU is half as radioactive as natural uranium.

I have a uranium bowl, By The Way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2011 6:46 PM, azotic wrote:

[...]

a long time ago, a major commercial transport airplane then in
production used depleted uranium counterweights - we kept the test
article in a paint can - there is some issue with the dust from those
shells, I believe the metallic dust is toxic, however the article is
about 98.974% nonsense, I agree.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8377" wrote in message
Actually, DU is half as radioactive as natural uranium.

I have a uranium bowl, By The Way.

Uranium 238 in ceramic glaze is not a big deal. I also own a few pieces of
uranium and thorium-doped optical glass. However, fine particles of uranium
or uranium oxide inhaled in the lungs are another mattter. It is true the
body gets rid of most of it, but some sticks around. One of the desireable
properties of a DU projectile is that is does not splatter into big pieces.
Instead, as it penetrates, the outer layers turn to dust allowing the core
to penetrate deeper. No other material works as well for penetrating armor.
However, I would not want to be anywhere downwind of an A-10 strafing run.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-29, anorton wrote:

"Ignoramus8377" wrote in message
Actually, DU is half as radioactive as natural uranium.

I have a uranium bowl, By The Way.

Uranium 238 in ceramic glaze is not a big deal. I also own a few pieces of
uranium and thorium-doped optical glass.

I also have some pretty warm minerals (all 100% legal to own, per NRC).

However, fine particles of uranium
or uranium oxide inhaled in the lungs are another mattter. It is true the
body gets rid of most of it, but some sticks around. One of the desireable
properties of a DU projectile is that is does not splatter into big pieces.
Instead, as it penetrates, the outer layers turn to dust allowing the core
to penetrate deeper. No other material works as well for penetrating armor.
However, I would not want to be anywhere downwind of an A-10 strafing run.

Neither would I.

Uranium emits alpha radiation. Alpha rays can be stopped by toilet
paper, clothes, etc. However, if a hot alpha emitting dust particle
ends up inside he body (say lungs), it can cause cancer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Yep the issue is chemical toxicity. Lots of DU in use in industry. Just
like any other toxic material if handeld with proper saftey procedures
DU provides many benifits.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
a long time ago, a major commercial transport airplane then in production
used depleted uranium counterweights - we kept the test article in a paint
can - there is some issue with the dust from those shells, I believe the
metallic dust is toxic, however the article is about 98.974% nonsense, I
agree.

Many heavy and some light metals are biochemically toxic, especially if they
easily substitute for the normal metal in necessary biological processes and
then inhibit them. For instance Arsenic mimics Phosphorus and Lead replaces
Calcium.
http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/heavmet.htm

Uranium:
If that's too technical for you, large amounts cause reversible kidney
damage. The effects of small amounts aren't strong or obvious enough to
stand out clearly from from other stress factors. The author argues that
low level exposure is similar to Lead.
"In the situation of war zones however, other chemical contaminant and the
disruption of society would complicate such studies."

Plutonium:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf15.html
"In the 1940s some 26 workers at US nuclear weapons facilities became
contaminated with plutonium. Intensive health checks of these people have
revealed no serious consequence and no fatalities that could be attributed
to the exposure."

A careful study of those who entered Hiroshima soon after the blast showed
very little if any long-term effect. Fear-mongering agitators have inflated
the risk perception far above that of MORE toxic but familiar hazards like
artificial tanning and Botox. When you lie on the beach you expose yourself
to the cancer-causing radiation from the nuclear reactor in the sky.

My interest isn't political. As a young chemist I found that new employees
got the dirty jobs so I studied the hazards. Knowing that Beryllium was
toxic got me tossed out of an interview.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8377" wrote in message
Uranium emits alpha radiation. Alpha rays can be stopped by toilet
paper, clothes, etc. However, if a hot alpha emitting dust particle
ends up inside he body (say lungs), it can cause cancer.

That appears to be more theoretical than real. Studies of humans
accidentally exposed to low levels don't prove a large increase in cancers
or even a significantly shorter lifespan. Radiation mainly kills cells,
which is why it's used to cure cancer.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/r...ontherapy.html

There's a debate whether the effects of high exposure extrapolate to low
levels, or the body can tolerate and repair a small dose.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/radon
http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/natural.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium-40
"An adult human body contains about 160 grams of potassium, hence about
0.000117 x 160 = 0.0187 grams of 40K; whose decay produces about 5,000
disintegrations per second continuously throughout the life of the body."

The fact that the debate occurs shows that the evidence is inconclusive. We
have a tolerance level for carbon monoxide, sharp objects, broken bones and
water though overexposure can be fatal.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-29, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

I actually agree with it, except that it applies to external ionizing
radiation, and not to radiactive particles inside the body.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill on Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:14:02 -0700

a long time ago, a major commercial transport airplane then in
production used depleted uranium counterweights - we kept the test
article in a paint can - there is some issue with the dust from those
shells, I believe the metallic dust is toxic, however the article is
about 98.974% nonsense, I agree.

The dust is toxic - heavy metal poisoning kind of toxic.

But alpha emitters that get "stuck" in the body, either by
inhaling or ingesting the dust, are a cause for concern.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the

OT- Peak Uranium HappyHunter[_2_] UK diy 65 February 16th 11 01:39 PM
Destroying it yourself Tabby UK diy 42 December 14th 10 09:33 PM
Of Interest -metalworking..uranium Gunner Asch[_2_] Metalworking 62 January 24th 08 05:54 PM
Where to get depleted uranium? Bruce W.1 Metalworking 67 May 8th 05 05:55 PM
Uranium under my house ! ! ! ! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Home Ownership 3 October 24th 04 10:21 PM