Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Toyota forklift with 14k hours

Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8377 wrote:

Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

When was it last overhauled? Items of concern would be hoses (radiator,
hydraulic, brake, etc.), clutch, brakes, seals on hydraulic valves and
cylinders and the like. If it was well taken care of it's probably in
good shape.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-28, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus8377 wrote:

Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

When was it last overhauled? Items of concern would be hoses (radiator,
hydraulic, brake, etc.), clutch, brakes, seals on hydraulic valves and
cylinders and the like. If it was well taken care of it's probably in
good shape.

It looks recently overhauled and also looks like there are no major
red flags on the side of seller.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8377 wrote:
Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

A 737 with 14,000 hours would just be approaching
middle age. My point being that maintenance is
everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/28/2011 11:54 AM, Ignoramus8377 wrote:
Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

I adore my Toyota! The only problem I've had was a starter solenoid. I
traded my Clark, my Otis and some cash for it almost ten years ago. I
got it from my forklift repair company, he said that I won't be seeing
much of him any more and he was right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-28, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
On 9/28/2011 11:54 AM, Ignoramus8377 wrote:
Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

I adore my Toyota! The only problem I've had was a starter solenoid. I
traded my Clark, my Otis and some cash for it almost ten years ago. I
got it from my forklift repair company, he said that I won't be seeing
much of him any more and he was right.

Of the various brands of forklifts, the Toyotas seem to be the most
"no ****" type of forklifts. Just gets the job done with minimal
excitement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-28, Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:
On 9/28/2011 11:54 AM, Ignoramus8377 wrote:
Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

I adore my Toyota! The only problem I've had was a starter solenoid. I
traded my Clark, my Otis and some cash for it almost ten years ago. I
got it from my forklift repair company, he said that I won't be seeing
much of him any more and he was right.

Of the various brands of forklifts, the Toyotas seem to be the most
"no ****" type of forklifts. Just gets the job done with minimal
excitement.

Mine has the side-shift forks, I never would have believed how handy
that option is, I'd never again be without that!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ignoramus8377 wrote:
Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

A 737 with 14,000 hours would just be approaching
middle age. My point being that maintenance is
everything.

We used the Toyota 3500# a LOT in the Las Vegas convention business. I
enjoyed operating them. We had a team of professional mechanics, as they
were all leased. I don't recall ever looking at an hour meter. Just turn
on the gas and go. If it is in good shape, it should last a lot longer with
the infrequent use you will probably give it. Those others were run 16
hours a day, and RUN HARD!

If you've ever been to a major convention in Las Vegas, you know what I'm
talking about. We called it "controlled chaos." It was actually an
intricate finely choreographed ballet. And only the best survived.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 28, 12:06*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus8377 wrote:
Someone is trying to sell me a Toyota forklift with 14,000 hours. It
does look much better than 14,000 hours and starts fine etc. Still, I
am concerned that it is a lot of hours. How good are those Toyotas and
is it asking for trouble to get a forklift with that many hours?

A 737 with 14,000 hours would just be approaching
middle age. *My point being that maintenance is
everything.

I agree...14k hours are a lot of hours.

Demand to see the maintainance log BEFORE buying it.

TMT