Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 6 Welders

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:24:10 -0500, Ignoramus21395
wrote:

Here they are in my garage.

http://goo.gl/o6s7l

The on on the far right is the best, TIG/MIG/Stick welder Thermal Arc
400GMS, with 14 and 17 pin control receptacles.

The rest are stick/TIG welders ("lift arc" TIG), Model Thermal Arc
LS-300.

So far only I turned on the 400GMS, it seems to power up and respond
to buttons in a way that I would expect a CC/CV welder to do. I will
test each by burning a whole rod of 1/8" 6013 with every one of them.

These are great homeowner welders.

240v single phase, I hope?

How much are you going to sell them for to us, your family? wink
I hate the scratch-start feature on my li'l HF sweetie, but she purrs
once that's done. Lift-start sounds better. Relay-switched HF start?

I shudder to think that I could have only gotten only one.

How'd you end up with all of them?

How do I clean them safely?

How dirty are they _inside_?

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here they are in my garage.

http://goo.gl/o6s7l

The on on the far right is the best, TIG/MIG/Stick welder Thermal Arc
400GMS, with 14 and 17 pin control receptacles.

The rest are stick/TIG welders ("lift arc" TIG), Model Thermal Arc
LS-300.

So far only I turned on the 400GMS, it seems to power up and respond
to buttons in a way that I would expect a CC/CV welder to do. I will
test each by burning a whole rod of 1/8" 6013 with every one of them.

These are great homeowner welders.

240v single phase, I hope?

They are for both 1 phase and 3 phase, with comparatively reduced duty
cycle on 1 phase. As far as I understood the diagram, you can weld
with 120 amps at about 75-80% duty cycle, on single phase.

How much are you going to sell them for to us, your family? wink

I will try to figure out the price shortly. Maybe I will sell one on
ebay and sell others for 25% less if for cash, 15% less if for check.

I hate the scratch-start feature on my li'l HF sweetie, but she purrs
once that's done. Lift-start sounds better. Relay-switched HF start?

I doubt that it has any HF built in.

I shudder to think that I could have only gotten only one.

How'd you end up with all of them?

They were sold at auction, but the auction was conducted in another
place. If this sounds kind of stupid, it is because it is so.

How do I clean them safely?

How dirty are they _inside_?

Probably not as dirty as on outside.

Keep in mind, I have not tested them yet to the full extent (burn one
1/8" 6013 rod at once with each), so they might have undetected
problems. I will test them in a few days due to being busy with
something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here they are in my garage.

http://goo.gl/o6s7l

The on on the far right is the best, TIG/MIG/Stick welder Thermal Arc
400GMS, with 14 and 17 pin control receptacles.

The rest are stick/TIG welders ("lift arc" TIG), Model Thermal Arc
LS-300.

So far only I turned on the 400GMS, it seems to power up and respond
to buttons in a way that I would expect a CC/CV welder to do. I will
test each by burning a whole rod of 1/8" 6013 with every one of them.

These are great homeowner welders.

240v single phase, I hope?

They are for both 1 phase and 3 phase, with comparatively reduced duty
cycle on 1 phase. As far as I understood the diagram, you can weld
with 120 amps at about 75-80% duty cycle, on single phase.

WOW! They really derate for single phase, don't they?

How much are you going to sell them for to us, your family? wink

I will try to figure out the price shortly. Maybe I will sell one on
ebay and sell others for 25% less if for cash, 15% less if for check.

How would a person get cash to you if not in person?

I hate the scratch-start feature on my li'l HF sweetie, but she purrs
once that's done. Lift-start sounds better. Relay-switched HF start?

I doubt that it has any HF built in.

The service manual for the 300TS and 300S show one, but it's a
lift-start for TIG. What cables/controls came with them?

I shudder to think that I could have only gotten only one.

How'd you end up with all of them?

They were sold at auction, but the auction was conducted in another
place. If this sounds kind of stupid, it is because it is so.

I thought you'd only bid on one, though.

How do I clean them safely?

How dirty are they _inside_?

Probably not as dirty as on outside.

Let's hope not.

Keep in mind, I have not tested them yet to the full extent (burn one
1/8" 6013 rod at once with each), so they might have undetected
problems. I will test them in a few days due to being busy with
something.

OK.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here they are in my garage.

http://goo.gl/o6s7l

The on on the far right is the best, TIG/MIG/Stick welder Thermal Arc
400GMS, with 14 and 17 pin control receptacles.

The rest are stick/TIG welders ("lift arc" TIG), Model Thermal Arc
LS-300.

So far only I turned on the 400GMS, it seems to power up and respond
to buttons in a way that I would expect a CC/CV welder to do. I will
test each by burning a whole rod of 1/8" 6013 with every one of them.

These are great homeowner welders.

240v single phase, I hope?

They are for both 1 phase and 3 phase, with comparatively reduced duty
cycle on 1 phase. As far as I understood the diagram, you can weld
with 120 amps at about 75-80% duty cycle, on single phase.

WOW! They really derate for single phase, don't they?

Yes, they do, but single phase hookup allows for greater amperage too,
and even more reduced duty cycle.

How much are you going to sell them for to us, your family? wink

I will try to figure out the price shortly. Maybe I will sell one on
ebay and sell others for 25% less if for cash, 15% less if for check.

How would a person get cash to you if not in person?

Then you could use the check method.

I hate the scratch-start feature on my li'l HF sweetie, but she purrs
once that's done. Lift-start sounds better. Relay-switched HF start?

I doubt that it has any HF built in.

The service manual for the 300TS and 300S show one, but it's a
lift-start for TIG. What cables/controls came with them?

Just the stick cables.

I shudder to think that I could have only gotten only one.

How'd you end up with all of them?

They were sold at auction, but the auction was conducted in another
place. If this sounds kind of stupid, it is because it is so.

I thought you'd only bid on one, though.

Yes, and no one bid on the rest, so I negotiated the purchase of the
rest. Everyone basically showed their dumbest side here, myself
included.

Keep in mind, I have not tested them yet to the full extent (burn one
1/8" 6013 rod at once with each), so they might have undetected
problems. I will test them in a few days due to being busy with
something.

OK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK.- Hide quoted text -

Don't feel bad Ig, I too have bid on one item and ended up buying the
entire lot.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:36:35 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

They are for both 1 phase and 3 phase, with comparatively reduced duty
cycle on 1 phase. As far as I understood the diagram, you can weld
with 120 amps at about 75-80% duty cycle, on single phase.

WOW! They really derate for single phase, don't they?

They are derated by 1/3 for single phase. Given that at least one is a
400 amp machine....the welder is capable of running 2/3 of 400 amps

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

pouty face

I hate the scratch-start feature on my li'l HF sweetie, but she purrs
once that's done. Lift-start sounds better. Relay-switched HF start?

I doubt that it has any HF built in.

The service manual for the 300TS and 300S show one, but it's a
lift-start for TIG. What cables/controls came with them?

Just the stick cables.

Major bummer. I wonder what a TIG setup would cost for one...
(none at Weldmart.com, maybe at Stoodyind.com) Cha CHING!

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/27/2011 06:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Major bummer. I wonder what a TIG setup would cost for one...
(none at Weldmart.com, maybe at Stoodyind.com) Cha CHING!

There ought to be a lot of this stuff on eBay. Of course, used TIG
torches may not be the best bargain, plenty of places for hidden
defects. On the other hand, major brands are completely repairable,
a whole page of replacement parts are listed. Torches and coolers
are pretty much all interchangeable.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
On 09/27/2011 06:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Major bummer. I wonder what a TIG setup would cost for one...
(none at Weldmart.com, maybe at Stoodyind.com) Cha CHING!

There ought to be a lot of this stuff on eBay. Of course, used TIG
torches may not be the best bargain, plenty of places for hidden
defects. On the other hand, major brands are completely repairable,
a whole page of replacement parts are listed. Torches and coolers
are pretty much all interchangeable.

And if you ask nicely, you can get a good deal
on a nearly-new torch, set aside after someone
upgraded. Around here somewhere (for example)
I have an air-cooled #17 that shipped with my
Maxstar 150. It works great but I like my C&K
Flexhead better.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-27, Winston wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:
On 09/27/2011 06:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Major bummer. I wonder what a TIG setup would cost for one...
(none at Weldmart.com, maybe at Stoodyind.com) Cha CHING!

There ought to be a lot of this stuff on eBay. Of course, used TIG
torches may not be the best bargain, plenty of places for hidden
defects. On the other hand, major brands are completely repairable,
a whole page of replacement parts are listed. Torches and coolers
are pretty much all interchangeable.

And if you ask nicely, you can get a good deal
on a nearly-new torch, set aside after someone
upgraded. Around here somewhere (for example)
I have an air-cooled #17 that shipped with my
Maxstar 150. It works great but I like my C&K
Flexhead better.

These welders have a particular control receptacle and do not have a
TIG gas valve, HF or water hookup.

While I, as a seller, can always honestly state "Stick/TIG welder", in
my own mind, the right thing to do with it is to just ise it as a stick
welder. These are kick ass stick welders, compact and powerful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:09:05 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

On 09/27/2011 06:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Major bummer. I wonder what a TIG setup would cost for one...
(none at Weldmart.com, maybe at Stoodyind.com) Cha CHING!

There ought to be a lot of this stuff on eBay. Of course, used TIG
torches may not be the best bargain, plenty of places for hidden
defects. On the other hand, major brands are completely repairable,
a whole page of replacement parts are listed. Torches and coolers
are pretty much all interchangeable.

Jon

Ive bought entire TIG setups for $50, torch, hoses, regulator and some
came with up to 30 electrodes. Ive not gotten a bad one yet and have
bought a mix of new and used gear.

Coolers..thats another story, but Ive gotten them for $75-100 in
workable condition. For most guys..simply plumbing it into the house
water supply works just fine, as long as you exhaust it out in the
garden.

Mig Welders RogerN Metalworking 57 July 24th 10 01:09 PM
Welders from Longevity MansD8 Metalworking 2 October 18th 09 09:31 AM
Welders Jerry Foster Metalworking 6 September 7th 07 09:55 AM
Arc Welders Terry Cano Home Repair 11 May 24th 06 06:01 PM
Two $30 MIG Welders Jeff Polaski Metalworking 0 August 5th 04 06:11 AM