Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need a supply house in Australia for CNC-type toolholders...

Does anyone know of a source of ER-style supplies in Australia or the
surrounding area?

I have a customer over there ordering low cost ER16 mini nuts from me, etc.
I feel bad because shipping is much more than the parts themselves. I'd
like to give him a local source for these items...

I have already done the Google thing, but I can't get any of the folks over
there to reply to me.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a source of ER-style supplies in Australia or the
surrounding area?

I have a customer over there ordering low cost ER16 mini nuts from me,
etc.
I feel bad because shipping is much more than the parts themselves. I'd
like to give him a local source for these items...

I have already done the Google thing, but I can't get any of the folks
over
there to reply to me.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I'd expect that even with shipping from the US, your prices will be cheaper
than anything that can be sourced locally. If the Australian purchaser
keeps the value below AU$1000 and the item is shipped by post, the
item is free of import duties and goods and services tax which equates
to about a 25% discount over what local suppliers can provide goods
for. Plus the US - AUS Free Trade Agreement means that items made
in the USA are free of import duties. The low value of the US$ has also
made buying goods from the USA dirt cheap - two years ago we paid
US 80 cents to buy one Australian dollar, now its more like US$1.05
to AU$1.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd expect that even with shipping from the US, your prices will be
cheaper
than anything that can be sourced locally. If the Australian purchaser
keeps the value below AU$1000 and the item is shipped by post, the
item is free of import duties and goods and services tax which equates
to about a 25% discount over what local suppliers can provide goods
for. Plus the US - AUS Free Trade Agreement means that items made
in the USA are free of import duties. The low value of the US$ has also
made buying goods from the USA dirt cheap - two years ago we paid
US 80 cents to buy one Australian dollar, now its more like US$1.05
to AU$1.

That is an excellent point...

Most of my orders from these folks are for repair parts though and the
equipment is on a production line so the time spent waiting for the part to
arrive costs them money.

Most choose the fastest UPS or DHL service available for a small $15-40 part
and pay at least $50 in shipping. ...Sometimes triple that amount.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:46:09 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

[...]

I've heard worse. My boss told the cautionary tale of the time the
main gear pump crashed on his polyethylene pilot plant. This was on a
Friday, and he told the lead tech to have it running by Monday. Came
back on Monday and it was running. Turns out the tech had located a
replacement (these are very large and expensive gear pumps, primary
devo drivers in this service) and had it flown into the local airport
by Flying Tigers. Don't remember the freight, but it was in the
thousands.

The moral: be careful of what you wish for or ask a tech to do if you
don't specify any constraints.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard worse. My boss told the cautionary tale of the time the
main gear pump crashed on his polyethylene pilot plant. This was on a
Friday, and he told the lead tech to have it running by Monday. Came
back on Monday and it was running. Turns out the tech had located a
replacement (these are very large and expensive gear pumps, primary
devo drivers in this service) and had it flown into the local airport
by Flying Tigers. Don't remember the freight, but it was in the
thousands.

The moral: be careful of what you wish for or ask a tech to do if you
don't specify any constraints.

Pete Keillor

I've been on the other side of that order before... A $10,000 drill set-up
MUST be delivered by a certain date and it's a rush order...

We ship. It's delivered. About 6 months later, we get a call looking for
assistance during the installation process.

Seems some places just expedite everything.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Australia is a big country with a low population.

I can get parts out of the US in less than 5 days,
quickest has been 3 days. Local suppliers can take a couple of weeks, or
in some cases wait for an economic sized order before ordering from an
overseas supplier - 3 months plus.

As an example of some pricing - I needed some MT3 blank arbors recently,
local suppliers wanted AU$25 to AU$30 a piece, plus post and delivery in
14 days. Supplier in the US was AU$6 plus about $4 in airmail, delivery was
about a week.

With the Australian economy charging along (we have labour shortages in the
mining and heavy engineering sectors) I'd be taking advantage of the buying
power in Australia at present.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Why are people so cruel" wrote in message
ond.com...

[...]

You get even better prices and cheaper delivery out of Hong Kong. On
Australian ebay a lot of the stuff out of Hong Kong is free delivery. I have
no idea how they can do it, but they do

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Would the downtime have been cheaper, and still let them meet
shipping schedules? If so, he should have set a limit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it was a pilot plant, not production, his mistake. The
production plants make one rail car (175,000 lb.) per hour per train,
so their down time is considerably more expensive.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Would the downtime have been cheaper, and still let them meet
shipping schedules? If so, he should have set a limit.

Yeah, it was a pilot plant, not production, his mistake. The
production plants make one rail car (175,000 lb.) per hour per train,
so their down time is considerably more expensive.

Then it was the boss's fault for not setting a dollar limit. So much
for setting up the proper 'Standards and Practices' ahead of time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 21 Sep 2011
23:29:24 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Pete Keillor wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Would the downtime have been cheaper, and still let them meet
shipping schedules? If so, he should have set a limit.

Yeah, it was a pilot plant, not production, his mistake. The
production plants make one rail car (175,000 lb.) per hour per train,
so their down time is considerably more expensive.

Then it was the boss's fault for not setting a dollar limit. So much
for setting up the proper 'Standards and Practices' ahead of time.

He said "up by Monday" - it was up by Monday. His wish was their
command. Feces Occurs.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Would the downtime have been cheaper, and still let them meet
shipping schedules? If so, he should have set a limit.

Yeah, it was a pilot plant, not production, his mistake. The
production plants make one rail car (175,000 lb.) per hour per train,
so their down time is considerably more expensive.

Then it was the boss's fault for not setting a dollar limit. So much
for setting up the proper 'Standards and Practices' ahead of time.

He said "up by Monday" - it was up by Monday. His wish was their
command. Feces Occurs.

No matter how hard you try, you just can't train some bosses to use
their litter box.