Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default I need a supply house in Australia for CNC-type toolholders...

I'd expect that even with shipping from the US, your prices will be
cheaper
than anything that can be sourced locally. If the Australian purchaser
keeps the value below AU$1000 and the item is shipped by post, the
item is free of import duties and goods and services tax which equates
to about a 25% discount over what local suppliers can provide goods
for. Plus the US - AUS Free Trade Agreement means that items made
in the USA are free of import duties. The low value of the US$ has also
made buying goods from the USA dirt cheap - two years ago we paid
US 80 cents to buy one Australian dollar, now its more like US$1.05
to AU$1.

That is an excellent point...

Most of my orders from these folks are for repair parts though and the
equipment is on a production line so the time spent waiting for the part to
arrive costs them money.

Most choose the fastest UPS or DHL service available for a small $15-40 part
and pay at least $50 in shipping. ...Sometimes triple that amount.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R