Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CCW permit holders saving America every day

On 9/18/2011 1:23 AM, a friend wrote:
On 9/17/2011 11:08 PM, Hawke wrote:

Big deal. They have stories like this all the time in the magazine you
get if you join he NRA, and have for years. Most of them are of people
without permits using guns for protection. I doubt anyone is against
people defending themselves against scumbags. But one thing remains the
same and that is there aren't enough cases like this around the country
for it to make a dent in crime rates. Stories like this are really
pretty rare. You know this because if you think about it almost nobody
knows anyone who had to use a gun to protect himself. In most parts of
the country it's just not that dangerous that having a gun on you makes
any difference. That said, I do recommend carrying one. But then I'm
conservative.

Hawke

the real question is, do you want to live in a place where carrying a
weapon for safety is necessary.

More questions:

Can you afford to move to a place where carrying a weapon for safety
isn't necessary?

Is there such a place?

How can you know there are no criminals or nuts that could threaten you
in that place?

My sister lived in Madrid when Franco was still in power. She said when
you walked on the street, there was always a uniformed representative of
the state in view. Very safe. Also very safe was restricting all public
and private conversations to topics like sports and weather, because you
never knew when you were in the company of an ununiformed representative
of the state.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

[...]

I know of very few people who feel that carrying a weapon is necessary
for their personal safety. The fact that you do says more about you
than it does about the actual risks of living in American society.

If you want to get a CCW and carry because you can, fine. If you do it
because you're afraid you need to get that fixed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:54:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

I'm sure you know very few because they probably know that you would
freak ouyt at the sight of a gun. They keep it concealed because of
people like you.

There is a reason that CCW is allowed, it's to keep the bliss ninnies
and soccer moms from thinking that the sky is falling when they see a
gun being carried openly.

Typical nightly listening on the police scanner:

"Detective Smith, go to the Baker's Square, the lady in the parking
lot is reporting a man with a gun"

"That was me Sarge."

"OK, nevermind."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:22:32 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

[...]

and all those uniformed representatives were carrying submachine guns.
and the ununiformed ones were carrying Berretta 92s or Star M30 pistols

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:54:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Afraid? Afraid of what? Im well armed. I have little to be afraid of
in this regard.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:54:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Interesting. I observe that someone who has a CCW because he is afraid
has some kind of problem and you go from that to the conclusion that I
favor gun control.

When I carry, it's because I can, not because I'm afraid of anybody.
I'm far more afraid of SUV-driving soccer moms nattering on their cell
phones and not paying attention to me on my Suzuki than I am of being
assailed by a violent criminal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

On 9/18/2011 8:54 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

The fact that I do what? I never said I carry a concealed weapon, here
in Wisconsin, CCW won't be legal till 11/1/11.

The fact that you feel that carrying a weapon is necessary to your
personal safety.

If you want to get a CCW and carry because you can, fine. If you do it
because you're afraid you need to get that fixed.

Afraid, no. Cautious, yes. I also have a spare tire in my car and smoke
detectors in my home, not because I'm afraid but because I'm cautious.

If it's on the basis of what might happen, fine, if you're actively
afraid you've got problems.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's
goal in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to
run our country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Whose. "Who's" is the contraction for "who is."

Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief
Internet Grammar and Punctuation Police

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2011 4:20 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

My sister lived in Madrid when Franco was still in power. She said when
you walked on the street, there was always a uniformed representative of
the state in view. Very safe. Also very safe was restricting all public
and private conversations to topics like sports and weather, because you
never knew when you were in the company of an ununiformed representative
of the state.

and all those uniformed representatives were carrying submachine guns.
and the ununiformed ones were carrying Berretta 92s or Star M30 pistols

Actually, no, they weren't police as much as they were informers, your
neighbor or coworker, the guy who fixed your car or the gal who babysat
your kids. You didn't know who to trust, so it was best to trust no one.
This was similar to the DDR and their STASI, although the STASI and it's
network of informers were much more pervasive in East Germany.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2011 4:25 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Interesting. I observe that someone who has a CCW because he is afraid
has some kind of problem and you go from that to the conclusion that I
favor gun control.

When I carry, it's because I can, not because I'm afraid of anybody.
I'm far more afraid of SUV-driving soccer moms nattering on their cell
phones and not paying attention to me on my Suzuki than I am of being
assailed by a violent criminal.

What is wrong with the elderly carrying because they are afraid of being
attacked buy someone stronger than they are? Women shouldn't be afraid
of being attacked?

Those with nothing to fear have no need to carry, but I would avoid
their company as they are probably naive in ways other than simply not
paying attention.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2011 4:33 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I know of very few people who feel that carrying a weapon is necessary
for their personal safety. The fact that you do says more about you
than it does about the actual risks of living in American society.

The fact that I do what? I never said I carry a concealed weapon, here
in Wisconsin, CCW won't be legal till 11/1/11.

The fact that you feel that carrying a weapon is necessary to your
personal safety.

Only in the same sense of carrying a spare tire or installing a smoke
detector is necessary to my personal safety.

If you want to get a CCW and carry because you can, fine. If you do it
because you're afraid you need to get that fixed.

Afraid, no. Cautious, yes. I also have a spare tire in my car and smoke
detectors in my home, not because I'm afraid but because I'm cautious.

If it's on the basis of what might happen, fine, if you're actively
afraid you've got problems.

You seem to think that being afraid is only some psychological problem
unrelated to that fact that many people have valid reasons to be afraid
of specific things.

Have you sought therapy for this condition?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

On 9/18/2011 4:33 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I know of very few people who feel that carrying a weapon is necessary
for their personal safety. The fact that you do says more about you
than it does about the actual risks of living in American society.

The fact that I do what? I never said I carry a concealed weapon, here
in Wisconsin, CCW won't be legal till 11/1/11.

The fact that you feel that carrying a weapon is necessary to your
personal safety.

Only in the same sense of carrying a spare tire or installing a smoke
detector is necessary to my personal safety.

How is carrying a spare tire necessary to your personal safety? Having
to wait for a tow truck is not going to kill you.

If you want to get a CCW and carry because you can, fine. If you do it
because you're afraid you need to get that fixed.

Afraid, no. Cautious, yes. I also have a spare tire in my car and smoke
detectors in my home, not because I'm afraid but because I'm cautious.

If it's on the basis of what might happen, fine, if you're actively
afraid you've got problems.

You seem to think that being afraid is only some psychological problem
unrelated to that fact that many people have valid reasons to be afraid
of specific things.

So tell us what specific thing you are so afraid of.

Have you sought therapy for this condition?

For what, not being afraid of low probability events?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:28:56 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

The fact that you feel that carrying a weapon is necessary to your
personal safety.

Only in the same sense of carrying a spare tire or installing a smoke
detector is necessary to my personal safety.

And those nasty seat belts, motorcycle helmets and fire extinguishers
some of us crazy people use or keep on hand.....

Im not afraid of having a car accident, motorcycle accident or fire.
Im simply prepared for one.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 20:33:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Only in the same sense of carrying a spare tire or installing a smoke
detector is necessary to my personal safety.

How is carrying a spare tire necessary to your personal safety? Having
to wait for a tow truck is not going to kill you.

Ever have a flat tire in Compton, Watts or East LA?

It may well indeed....kill you.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Personally I would avoid the company of anyone who was afraid that he
was going to be attacked because he either has very unsavory
acquaintances or has something wrong with him.

Fool. A threat can happen any time, and anywhere. It's your choice
to ignore the world, and you can't expect to talk another idiot into not
killing you. Sometimes it works, but not always.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:20:02 -0700

[...]

And all those cops - and petty crime was still a problem. I know,
I was a victim, even if I did get the radio back. And Franco was a
long way from being dead.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 18, 4:20*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:54:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

country." - David Lloyyd (2008)- Hide quoted text -

Mark is a coward.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 18, 8:50*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
On 9/18/2011 7:31 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

In , says...

[...]

Or because they are obviously weak and therefore an easy target. I know
a number of older folks who live in "declining neighborhoods" who can't
afford to move and have been preyed upon by their new neighbors. Do you
think they have something wrong with them because they are afraid?

David- Hide quoted text -

Tell me again how these obviously weak older folks are capable of
handling a gun.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Only in the same sense of carrying a spare tire or installing a smoke
detector is necessary to my personal safety.

How is carrying a spare tire necessary to your personal safety? * Having
to wait for a tow truck is not going to kill you.

Ever have a flat tire in Compton, Watts or East LA?

It may well indeed....kill you.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

So flat tires are predators?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2011 11:00 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Or because they are obviously weak and therefore an easy target. I know
a number of older folks who live in "declining neighborhoods" who can't
afford to move and have been preyed upon by their new neighbors. Do you
think they have something wrong with them because they are afraid?

Personally I'd find a way to move.

Small fixed income, paid off mortgage, but value of home, if they could
find a buyer, less than a down payment on mortgage in nicer neighborhood.

Can they move in with you?

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Personally I'd find a way to move.

Then you would be afraid, like the ones you are putting down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote:

For not being able to recognize the need to prepare for low probability
events. Of course, you must live in a much safer place than we have here
on Earth.

They'll have air there, 'real soon now!'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:05:26 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Personally I would avoid the company of anyone who was afraid that he
was going to be attacked because he either has very unsavory
acquaintances or has something wrong with him.

Fool. A threat can happen any time, and anywhere.

A rock can fall out of the sky any time and anywhere too. Doesn't mean
I go around worrying about it.

It's your choice
to ignore the world, and you can't expect to talk another idiot into not
killing you. Sometimes it works, but not always.

You see "ignoring the world". I see paranoia.

In 1998..the Department of Justice surveys indicated that firearms were
used between 250,000 and 1.5 million times a year..in self defense.

How many people were hit by meteors each year?

http://www.dba-oracle.com/news_meteo...hit_people.htm

2?

I see buffoonery on your part. But hey..its your life, your
family..your property. Defend it as you wish. Just dont be a dick and
try to push your stupidity on others.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

How is carrying a spare tire necessary to your personal safety? Having
to wait for a tow truck is not going to kill you.

Your "What's good for me is good for everyone" badge is showing.

I have heart problems. I had a 8.5 hour surgery where they literally
removed my heart from my body, worked on it, and put it back in. I do not
do well in heat or cold situations. I personally do not like sitting along
a busy Interstate in a very small emergency lane next to 75 mph traffic,
either, and find that stressful, and potentially fatal. So may be waiting
for an hour on a bad stretch of road or in a bad neighborhood. Say, south
central LA south of Staples. Yeah, you went there for an upscale yuppie
convention, but now you're on flat in the hood.

I have had incidents with tow trucks where I finally just changed the tire,
and the tow truck never ever did appear.

Your position is self-centered and ludicrous. And dangerous.

Your argument is weak and doesn't hold water.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 5:01*am, "David R. Birch" wrote:
On 9/18/2011 11:00 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Or because they are obviously weak and therefore an easy target. I know
a number of older folks who live in "declining neighborhoods" who can't
afford to move and have been preyed upon by their new neighbors. Do you
think they have something wrong with them because they are afraid?

Personally I'd find a way to move.

Small fixed income, paid off mortgage, but value of home, if they could
find a buyer, less than a down payment on mortgage in nicer neighborhood.

Can they move in with you?

David

And your point is?

And a CCW is going to help how?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CCW permit holders costing America every day

On Sep 19, 7:05*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Personally I would avoid the company of anyone who was afraid that he
was going to be attacked because he either has very unsavory
acquaintances or has something wrong with him.

* *Fool. *A threat can happen any time, and anywhere.

A rock can fall out of the sky any time and anywhere too. *Doesn't mean
I go around worrying about it.

It's your choice
to ignore the world, and you can't expect to talk another idiot into not
killing you. *Sometimes it works, but not always.

You see "ignoring the world". *I see paranoia.

I see paranoia also...and conservatives seem to be infected with it.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 7:06*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , says...

On 9/18/2011 11:00 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Or because they are obviously weak and therefore an easy target. I know
a number of older folks who live in "declining neighborhoods" who can't
afford to move and have been preyed upon by their new neighbors. Do you
think they have something wrong with them because they are afraid?

Personally I'd find a way to move.

Small fixed income, paid off mortgage, but value of home, if they could
find a buyer, less than a down payment on mortgage in nicer neighborhood.

Can they move in with you?

Rent. *Trailer park. *Rural Montana. *If they're that afraid.

Many options...but he only wants to use one..a gun.

He is a coward who lives in fear.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 7:40*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Personally I would avoid the company of anyone who was afraid that he
was going to be attacked because he either has very unsavory
acquaintances or has something wrong with him.

* *Fool. *A threat can happen any time, and anywhere.

A rock can fall out of the sky any time and anywhere too. *Doesn't mean
I go around worrying about it.

* *What are the chances of that? *How many people are killed every
century by rocks falling out of the sky? *Cartoon coyotes don't count.

It's your choice
to ignore the world, and you can't expect to talk another idiot into not
killing you. *Sometimes it works, but not always.

You see "ignoring the world". *I see paranoia.

* *Then you're paranoid. *I was assaulted in a church parking lot. The
only defense I had with me was my cane. *I won, without a scratch and I
managed to remain on my feet while it happened.

--
You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.- Hide quoted text -

Why didn't Jesus save you?

As your example shows, you do not need a gun.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 10:32*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 08:05:26 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote:

[...]

LOL..talk about BS statistics.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 10:51*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote

[...]

Your "What's good for me is good for everyone" badge is showing too.

Telling us that a gun is needed shows that you have not considered
other options.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 12:02*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Or because they are obviously weak and therefore an easy target. I know
a number of older folks who live in "declining neighborhoods" who can't
afford to move and have been preyed upon by their new neighbors. Do you
think they have something wrong with them because they are afraid?

And your point is?

And a CCW is going to help how?

It can stop the new neighbor from preying on them.

Dan

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 12:18*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Your "What's good for me is good for everyone" badge is showing too.

Telling us that a gun is needed shows that you have not considered
other options.

TMT

Not really. It shows that he considers having a gun as one of the
options, possibly the most cost effective option.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 11:20*am, " wrote:
On Sep 19, 12:02*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Or because they are obviously weak and therefore an easy target. I know
a number of older folks who live in "declining neighborhoods" who can't
afford to move and have been preyed upon by their new neighbors. Do you
think they have something wrong with them because they are afraid?

And your point is?

And a CCW is going to help how?

It can stop the new neighbor from preying on them.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

TMT- Hide quoted text -

And how is that CCW going to stop the new neighbor from preying on
them?

Sounds like we have someone who lives in fear.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 11:24*am, " wrote:
On Sep 19, 12:18*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Your "What's good for me is good for everyone" badge is showing too.

Telling us that a gun is needed shows that you have not considered
other options.

TMT

Not really. It shows that he considers having a gun as one of the
options, possibly the most cost effective option.

The gun is never the most cost effective option.

It is the one the coward reaches for.

TMT