Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Weapons-Grade 6061?

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...FQvCKgod2CSU-Q

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:49:08 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...FQvCKgod2CSU-Q

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

It exists and i have a whole bunch of it. For Gulf War #2, the miltary
came to my son's workpace with a special rush project. They needed a
couple dozen special parts to attach something to their large cargo
plane. All hush hush and rush rush. Anyway, the military supplied four
inch thick four foot wide by thirty feet long slabs of military grade
AL. Had it rush shipped in. "The Kid" wrote the CNC program and sat by
the bridge mill sixteen hours a day for two weeks.

Anyway, there were huge scrap pieces. They had to go someplace. My
grove made sence. I've made a few parts. It machines chips more like
steel, not stringy gummy like other AL. The kid told me the tension
spec was far higher than other AL.

Karl

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...FQvCKgod2CSU-Q

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I sort of remember a TV show about making deep sea hard shell suit.

The body of the shell was milled from a solid slab of 6061 - that had
been compressed.

A HUGE press smashed a 8 foot tall billet down to 5 feet.

Dunno what grade that would be called, but it had to be denser.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...FQvCKgod2CSU-Q

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I sort of remember a TV show about making deep sea hard shell suit.

The body of the shell was milled from a solid slab of 6061 - that had
been compressed.

A HUGE press smashed a 8 foot tall billet down to 5 feet.

Dunno what grade that would be called, but it had to be denser.

That was a great joke!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...FQvCKgod2CSU-Q

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

============
Only if its billet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...FQvCKgod2CSU-Q

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

============
Only if its billet.

Yet another term that is used to death. It's all billet, aside from
castings. Even they are cast.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...h=151&products....

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I sort of remember a TV show about making deep sea hard shell suit.

The body of the shell *was milled from a solid slab of 6061 - that had
been compressed.

A HUGE press smashed a 8 foot tall billet down to 5 feet.

Dunno what grade that would be called, but it had to be denser.

Richard

I saw that show. It doesn't make it denser but it does improve the
mechanical properties. Forge it first then they mill it to specs. They
use it to make wheels too among other things. On the show the way they
shot it did make it look smaller.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Very likely it's just reinforced metal composite. They put ceramic whiskers
and a variety of other things in there to get higher tensile strength, heat
tolerance, and, most noticeably, greater stiffness. It has a variety of
defense and aerospace uses.

Sometimes it's a bear to machine; other varieties machine just like regular
aluminum grades, but they typically knock the edges off your tools in a
hurry.

As for the gadget that Spehro pointed to, ho-ho, ha-ha. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 9:49*am, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...h=151&products....

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--

"Ergonomic", yet, on top of "weapons grade". I suppose that was next
in the buzz phrase generator's list. 6061 was used at one time in AR

Stan