Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Weapons-Grade 6061?

On Aug 20, 7:46*am, Richard wrote:
On 8/20/2011 11:05 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:49:08 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
*wrote:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...h=151&products....

Is that better or worse than "aircraft grade"?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I sort of remember a TV show about making deep sea hard shell suit.

The body of the shell *was milled from a solid slab of 6061 - that had
been compressed.

A HUGE press smashed a 8 foot tall billet down to 5 feet.

Dunno what grade that would be called, but it had to be denser.

Richard

I saw that show. It doesn't make it denser but it does improve the
mechanical properties. Forge it first then they mill it to specs. They
use it to make wheels too among other things. On the show the way they
shot it did make it look smaller.
Karl