Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Semi trailer prices

Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Now I'd also need a trailer. My first look found nearly nothing in
what I'm calling a lowboy. I need a trailer that you can drive a fork
lift or farm tractor up on. And one that will let me load large
machines over the side. Looks like I'd have to buy the semi tractor
again. Am I wrong here?

Its just like my lathes and mills. its not the original machine that
kills ya. its all the other stuff getting it all decked out.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 07:14:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Pete, or others, I got a second question. I own a reefer that lost DOT
rating. I know it needs new tires and you'd have to go through the
brakes. Oher than that, is it hard to get an old trailer re approved?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Pete, or others, I got a second question. I own a reefer that lost DOT
rating. I know it needs new tires and you'd have to go through the
brakes. Oher than that, is it hard to get an old trailer re approved?

Karl

Even if you don't have to own one, I notice Ryder rents them for not
too bad prices for a day or two. Trailers are cheap, tractors not so
cheap.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Now I'd also need a trailer. My first look found nearly nothing in
what I'm calling a lowboy. I need a trailer that you can drive a fork
lift or farm tractor up on. And one that will let me load large
machines over the side. Looks like I'd have to buy the semi tractor
again. Am I wrong here?

Its just like my lathes and mills. its not the original machine that
kills ya. its all the other stuff getting it all decked out.

Karl

Are you carrying anything that one of these won't handle?

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FD

We're using one of these and it's a sweet trailer for skid steers and farm
tractors:

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=T6

Tilts down hydraulically and you just drive the equipment on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Pete, or others, I got a second question. I own a reefer that lost DOT
rating. I know it needs new tires and you'd have to go through the
brakes. Oher than that, is it hard to get an old trailer re approved?

Karl

Even if you don't have to own one, I notice Ryder rents them for not
too bad prices for a day or two. Trailers are cheap, tractors not so
cheap.

That's my theory, own a basic flatbed to handle most stuff and rent
specialty trailers as needed.

Poking around on commercialtrucktrader.com I see plenty of trailers,
some not too expensive like:

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...ltbed-98650343

The lowboy trailers are going to be more expensive since they are more
complex structurally, and quite a few are detachable gooseneck. Perhaps
find a normal trailer and one of the tail mount forklifts?

I'm not sure what's required for reapproval beyond passing inspection.
I'm sure a call to a DOT office could answer that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:22:59 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've got the exact same thing. I use a 1 ton F350 to pull it. The only
reason to go semi is to get more capacity than this.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=T6

Tilts down hydraulically and you just drive the equipment on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's pretty similar to my trailer. probably also a 24,000 rating.
Good price on this unit. I'm looking to haul more weight.

The lowboy trailers are going to be more expensive since they are more
complex structurally, and quite a few are detachable gooseneck. Perhaps
find a normal trailer and one of the tail mount forklifts?

I'm not sure what's required for reapproval beyond passing inspection.
I'm sure a call to a DOT office could answer that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Karl, I was wondering about something. You seem to be a pretty
realistic, level headed guy and you buy and sell larger machines. I
was wondering how does it practically work out, as a source of income.

The stuff that I have in mind, is something like buying a CNC machine
for $10k, doing very minor stuff, if any, and selling for $17k. I was
wondering how realistic is this, in your experience.

Rather than hearing B/S from people who do not "do it" practically, I
wanted to ask you how is it working out for you. I think that we have
some things in common, and so, your experience somewhat translates
into what I may encounter.

Also, if you know any pitfalls, I would love to hear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Lots of normal flatbed trailers ~$5k, many with air suspension.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The "Landoll" type trailers are the really nice ones, full hydraulic
tilt bed and winch to drag containers or whatever on board, but I
haven't seen one for sail under $20k.

You could buy a $5k or so normal flatbed and fabricate your own
hydraulic folding ramp tail assembly. That would be a fun project, I
picture a double fold setup where you can get something like a 12' ramp
and have it only stick up 6' when folded up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit lower end than you're aiming. I buy machines that go for
scrap price. Got four running with new controls. For all these
machines, I've bought a spare donor. Then stripped it. Sell the
carcass and uneeded stuff off.

In my case, I'm way too slow at repairs to ever come out reselling.
I'd be careful with your plan. Repair of CNC controls is difficult and
expensive. The shops that would buy from you are the same ones that
are dropping like flies at a bait station.

I've had good success selling parts and I've never tried real hard.

My son buys cars, four wheelers, snow mobiles, and skid steers that go
for scrap. He watches craigs list and several auction sites. He's
buying a pig'n'the poke. if he can get it running in two nights -
resell. If not partout and scrap. he aims at people that bring cash
-Ben Franklin is our friend.

My 2cents, this level has less risk today.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
m...
[...]

OK. I did that sutff a lot too. Half of the stuff that is sold to me
as "probably is broken" is not broken at all, or needs a switch fixed
or something.

The key determination to make is if the seller is honest. A below
scrap price is a great indicator that this is, indeed, the case.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Know your market. $17k machines are too expensive and large for most
HSM types, there are fewer and fewer small commercial shops that would
be interested in that type of machine, and most of those remaining shops
are not in your area.

2. Understand all tax implications. If you're operating a real
registered business, you're going to get hit with inventory taxes on any
machines you have sitting around unsold. Investigate possible tax breaks
for "distressed" industries.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4922 wrote:

The stuff that I have in mind, is something like buying a CNC machine
for $10k, doing very minor stuff, if any, and selling for $17k. I was
wondering how realistic is this, in your experience.

Wow, I'd be REAL careful investing $10K on speculation on a machine.
The risk is you fix it up great and then can't find a buyer. Now, if you
find a machine, and KNOW you have a buyer for it once it is in good shape,
that is a much better position to be in.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The key determination to make is if the seller is honest. A below
scrap price is a great indicator that this is, indeed, the case.

I can't begin to find the prices you constantly report. But at least
dishonesty is the rare exception up here. There are, of course, many
that want more than its worth, or want to buy from you for nothing.
But that's just cheapskate, not dishonest. I must confess to being a
cheapskate myself.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus4922 wrote:

The stuff that I have in mind, is something like buying a CNC machine
for $10k, doing very minor stuff, if any, and selling for $17k. I was
wondering how realistic is this, in your experience.

Wow, I'd be REAL careful investing $10K on speculation on a machine.
The risk is you fix it up great and then can't find a buyer.

That, and if you are operating as a real business, you get taxed on that
machine sitting in inventory with no buyer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Wild_Bill wrote:
A very old and reliable business practice is that the profit is made at the
purchase, not at the sale.

This is how I think about it. "Waiting for a sucker" has never been my
business practice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-12, Karl Townsend wrote:
The key determination to make is if the seller is honest. A below
scrap price is a great indicator that this is, indeed, the case.

I can't begin to find the prices you constantly report. But at least
dishonesty is the rare exception up here. There are, of course, many
that want more than its worth, or want to buy from you for nothing.
But that's just cheapskate, not dishonest. I must confess to being a
cheapskate myself.

It is probably an exception here too, but I do not want to run into
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been kicking around an idea of getting an old tractor to leave
attached to my trailer. Must be a way without paying enormous
licensing fees. Then convert it into a hunting lodge, stick it in the
woods and get other people to pay for the land. Probably could rent it
out to groups that rent land to shoot and hook animals for a grand a
day. Hmmm, lots of cleared farm land, ya could just drive it across
the field and park it next to the wood line.

Self contained, and 40' awnings on each side. I think its a great
idea. Have only seen a couple of rigs from the 50's and should check
on them before the get melted down.

Saw a video somewhere about converting them into mobile homes that
really showed the potential, and the rich have them driven out to the
spectacles. COOL

SW

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=T6

Tilts down hydraulically and you just drive the equipment on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:07:14 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Poking around on commercialtrucktrader.com I see plenty of trailers,
some not too expensive like:

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...ltbed-98650343

That's pretty similar to my trailer. probably also a 24,000 rating.
Good price on this unit. I'm looking to haul more weight.

Damn..Ive never seen one like that before.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.