Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Semi trailer prices

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:12:48 -0500, Ignoramus4922

On 2011-08-12, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:22:59 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Now I'd also need a trailer. My first look found nearly nothing in
what I'm calling a lowboy. I need a trailer that you can drive a fork
lift or farm tractor up on. And one that will let me load large
machines over the side. Looks like I'd have to buy the semi tractor
again. Am I wrong here?

Its just like my lathes and mills. its not the original machine that
kills ya. its all the other stuff getting it all decked out.

Karl

Are you carrying anything that one of these won't handle?

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FD

We're using one of these and it's a sweet trailer for skid steers and farm
tractors:

I've got the exact same thing. I use a 1 ton F350 to pull it. The only
reason to go semi is to get more capacity than this.

Karl, I was wondering about something. You seem to be a pretty
realistic, level headed guy and you buy and sell larger machines. I
was wondering how does it practically work out, as a source of income.

The stuff that I have in mind, is something like buying a CNC machine
for $10k, doing very minor stuff, if any, and selling for $17k. I was
wondering how realistic is this, in your experience.

Rather than hearing B/S from people who do not "do it" practically, I
wanted to ask you how is it working out for you. I think that we have
some things in common, and so, your experience somewhat translates
into what I may encounter.

Also, if you know any pitfalls, I would love to hear.

I'm a bit lower end than you're aiming. I buy machines that go for
scrap price. Got four running with new controls. For all these
machines, I've bought a spare donor. Then stripped it. Sell the
carcass and uneeded stuff off.

In my case, I'm way too slow at repairs to ever come out reselling.
I'd be careful with your plan. Repair of CNC controls is difficult and
expensive. The shops that would buy from you are the same ones that
are dropping like flies at a bait station.

I've had good success selling parts and I've never tried real hard.

My son buys cars, four wheelers, snow mobiles, and skid steers that go
for scrap. He watches craigs list and several auction sites. He's
buying a pig'n'the poke. if he can get it running in two nights -
resell. If not partout and scrap. he aims at people that bring cash
-Ben Franklin is our friend.

My 2cents, this level has less risk today.

Karl