Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Semi trailer prices

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:34:04 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 07:22:35 -0500, the renowned Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 07:14:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Pete, this is ENTIRELY your fault. I now have semi on the brain. I
just gota have one. I'm finding used tractors to be plentiful and
shouldn't have trouble finding a decent unit for less than I'd pay for
a pickup truck.

Pete, or others, I got a second question. I own a reefer that lost DOT
rating. I know it needs new tires and you'd have to go through the
brakes. Oher than that, is it hard to get an old trailer re approved?

Karl

Even if you don't have to own one, I notice Ryder rents them for not
too bad prices for a day or two. Trailers are cheap, tractors not so
cheap.

That's my theory, own a basic flatbed to handle most stuff and rent
specialty trailers as needed.

Poking around on commercialtrucktrader.com I see plenty of trailers,
some not too expensive like:

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...ltbed-98650343

That's pretty similar to my trailer. probably also a 24,000 rating.
Good price on this unit. I'm looking to haul more weight.

The lowboy trailers are going to be more expensive since they are more
complex structurally, and quite a few are detachable gooseneck. Perhaps
find a normal trailer and one of the tail mount forklifts?

I'm not sure what's required for reapproval beyond passing inspection.
I'm sure a call to a DOT office could answer that.