Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cable Lube

I'm looking for products like these:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cable...8&aqi=g10&aql=

If that doesn't work, just google cable lube.

Iny idea of good products, good value, stuff to avoid, sources? I'll need
that little "injector clamp", not just the spray can.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
I'm looking for products like these:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cable...8&aqi=g10&aql=

If that doesn't work, just google cable lube.

Iny idea of good products, good value, stuff to avoid, sources? I'll need
that little "injector clamp", not just the spray can.

Oh, I used to have this stuff when I had motorcycles, but it should come in
handy for lawnmower cables, bikes, etc.
Have never seen it locally -- mebbe in cycle shops, but haven't been in one
in years.
And guys that I know who cycle etc don't seem to know about this type of
product.

The system with that injector clamp works REALLY well, you can get lubricant
at the other end of a long cable in *seconds*, which makes an unbelievable
difference in action.

--
EA

--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I ride , and I lube my cables with plain old gear oil . Takes a little
longer , lasts a LOT longer. That stuff that comes with the injector thingy
eventually ends up making a stiff nasty mess of your cables . And the only
way to loosen them up is to shoot more of the same crap into them .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

(...)

I ride , and I lube my cables with plain old gear oil . Takes a little
longer , lasts a LOT longer. That stuff that comes with the injector thingy
eventually ends up making a stiff nasty mess of your cables . And the only
way to loosen them up is to shoot more of the same crap into them .

How does that work?

Do you slide the cable out of the housing or
did you make an adapter to squirt the oil in,
or something?

I've just been holding the end of the cable
vertically. I use the Tri-Flow (leetle
red tube) to dribble oil on to the cable and
thus in to the housing. It works a treat!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Snag wrote:

(...)

I ride , and I lube my cables with plain old gear oil . Takes a little
longer , lasts a LOT longer. That stuff that comes with the injector
thingy
eventually ends up making a stiff nasty mess of your cables . And the
only
way to loosen them up is to shoot more of the same crap into them .

How does that work?

Do you slide the cable out of the housing or
did you make an adapter to squirt the oil in,
or something?

I've just been holding the end of the cable
vertically. I use the Tri-Flow (leetle
red tube) to dribble oil on to the cable and
thus in to the housing. It works a treat!

The key to this "pressurized" cable lube system is that adapter.
It accepts the li'l red spray tube, you see on WD-40 et al, which are
presumably standardized.
If so, you could take a variety of lubricants, like mebbe the various LPS's,
and squirt them in as well.

In principle, it dudn't matter how you do it, but this system is VERY fast,
perty easy.

Are these red spray tubes standardized??
--
EA

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Snag wrote:

(...)

I ride , and I lube my cables with plain old gear oil . Takes a
little longer , lasts a LOT longer. That stuff that comes with the
injector thingy eventually ends up making a stiff nasty mess of your
cables . And the only way to loosen them up is to shoot more of the
same crap into them .

How does that work?

Do you slide the cable out of the housing or
did you make an adapter to squirt the oil in,
or something?

I've just been holding the end of the cable
vertically. I use the Tri-Flow (leetle
red tube) to dribble oil on to the cable and
thus in to the housing. It works a treat!

--Winston

I disconnect the cable , dribble some oil in , then slide the cable
in-n-out to "pump" the oil in . I average lubing them about once a year ,
and always lube them well before installing . My preference is synth gear
lube , it seems to crawl into the cable a bit faster and seems "slicker" .
On some cables I can build a tape cone to act as a reservoir for the lube .
A little less mess and it goes a bit faster .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

(...)

The key to this "pressurized" cable lube system is that adapter.
It accepts the li'l red spray tube, you see on WD-40 et al, which are
presumably standardized.
If so, you could take a variety of lubricants, like mebbe the various LPS's,
and squirt them in as well.

In principle, it dudn't matter how you do it, but this system is VERY fast,
perty easy.

Are these red spray tubes standardized??

I save nozzles and spray tubes after I empty a can
of anything. The tubes appear to be standardized
because I've been able to grab any random one out
of my stash to replace one that has launched itself
under the workbench.

I shall keep my eye on this thread to see if someone
can recommend the Best Cable Lube adapter.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

(...)

I disconnect the cable , dribble some oil in , then slide the cable
in-n-out to "pump" the oil in . I average lubing them about once a year ,
and always lube them well before installing . My preference is synth gear
lube , it seems to crawl into the cable a bit faster and seems "slicker" .
On some cables I can build a tape cone to act as a reservoir for the lube .
A little less mess and it goes a bit faster .

That is pretty much what I do.
Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

I'm looking for products like these:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cable...8&aqi=g10&aql=

If that doesn't work, just google cable lube.

Iny idea of good products, good value, stuff to avoid, sources? I'll need
that little "injector clamp", not just the spray can.
--
EA

Depends upon the cable. Try a motorcycle shop! I still Have the one I used
on Hondas and Harleys. Still find it handy. We used the with cans of white
lithium grease. It worked better than cable lube kin my opinion. Generally
the luber is sold separately.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message ...

Snag wrote:

(...)

I ride , and I lube my cables with plain old gear oil . Takes a little
longer , lasts a LOT longer. That stuff that comes with the injector
thingy
eventually ends up making a stiff nasty mess of your cables . And the only
way to loosen them up is to shoot more of the same crap into them .

How does that work?

Do you slide the cable out of the housing or
did you make an adapter to squirt the oil in,
or something?

I've just been holding the end of the cable
vertically. I use the Tri-Flow (leetle
red tube) to dribble oil on to the cable and
thus in to the housing. It works a treat!

--Winston

The clamps seal around the outer tube and the cable, so you can shoot the
lube in without disassembly. I liked the grease, because it would still lube
the cable in freezing weather, after rain.
Oil can let water in, and it thickens in really cold weather. the white
lithium grease stays about the same regardless of temperature.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

I'm looking for products like these:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cable...8&aqi=g10&aql=

If that doesn't work, just google cable lube.

Iny idea of good products, good value, stuff to avoid, sources? I'll need
that little "injector clamp", not just the spray can.

I use Tri-Flo and the clamp.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.google.com/search?q=cable...hp&biw=1404&bi...

If that doesn't work, just google cable lube.

Iny idea of good products, good value, stuff to avoid, sources? *I'll need
that little "injector clamp", not just the spray can.
--
EA

In addition to the release-the-higher-end and drip-in-some-lube I cut
a piece of plastic bag, tie it around the cable to make a small
funnel, tie it up so that it's held upright, then I fill the little
funnel with some oil.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message
I'm looking for products like these:

If that doesn't work, just google cable lube.

Iny idea of good products, good value, stuff to avoid, sources?
I'll need that little "injector clamp", not just the spray can.

Oh, I used to have this stuff when I had motorcycles, but it should
come in handy for lawnmower cables, bikes, etc. Have never seen it
locally -- mebbe in cycle shops, but haven't been in one in years.
And guys that I know who cycle etc don't seem to know about this type
of product.

The system with that injector clamp works REALLY well, you can get
lubricant at the other end of a long cable in *seconds*, which makes
an unbelievable difference in action.

I just picked up a couple of the cable lube clamps from HF. Works as
good as the one I picked up years ago from the local Honda shop.

One thing I usually do is check what the housing is lined with. Then I
use a rechargeable spray canister to spray a cleaner down the line.
Usually stoddard solvent or if the liner is an oddball I use diluted
simple green. Just getting the old oil/dirt/grit out makes a difference.

For lube I use a graphite powder and alcohol blend.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:00:01 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

I just picked up a couple of the cable lube clamps from HF. Works as
good as the one I picked up years ago from the local Honda shop.

I looked at Harbor Freight on line and couldn't find them. What term
do you use to find this? I tried cable and clamp, but got lots of
unrelated stuff. It could have been hidden in the 5th page of useless
results but I didn't get that far.

RWL

Proper lube C & E Home Repair 2 April 3rd 09 04:04 AM
Window lube? Nate Nagel Home Repair 9 July 17th 07 11:49 PM
Lube etc old ceiling fan? Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 June 20th 07 09:48 PM
Electrical lube Charlie Bress Home Repair 18 July 28th 06 03:37 PM
Yet another possible TS gear lube hylourgos Woodworking 2 January 17th 05 12:49 PM