Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ig, encoder input

Ig, I can make or buy the encoder I need for my spindle, but I have a
question about reading the quadrature signals.

What sort of input board (for the encoder) did you use when you did the EMC
rigid tapping conversion?

Also, I can't seem to find the detail on whether or not you used the old
servo motors, or replaced them with newer technology.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-01, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ig, I can make or buy the encoder I need for my spindle, but I have a
question about reading the quadrature signals.

What sort of input board (for the encoder) did you use when you did the EMC
rigid tapping conversion?

I used Jon Elson's PPMC. US Digital encoders (e7? I am driving)

Also, I can't seem to find the detail on whether or not you used the old
servo motors, or replaced them with newer technology.

I used the old servos. They are actualy great. Nothing wrong with them
at all. Plus, DC drives are cheap and plentiful and compatible with
any DC motor of proper rating.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2853 fired this volley in
:

I used Jon Elson's PPMC. US Digital encoders (e7? I am driving)

Thanks! E5 on the encoder.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:41:08 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ig, I can make or buy the encoder I need for my spindle, but I have a
question about reading the quadrature signals.

What sort of input board (for the encoder) did you use when you did the EMC
rigid tapping conversion?

Also, I can't seem to find the detail on whether or not you used the old
servo motors, or replaced them with newer technology.

LLoyd

Anyone need a nearly new "reSolver"?

Its simply for shipping. Looks like an encoder.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ig, I can make or buy the encoder I need for my spindle, but I have a
question about reading the quadrature signals.

What sort of input board (for the encoder) did you use when you did the EMC
rigid tapping conversion?

Also, I can't seem to find the detail on whether or not you used the old
servo motors, or replaced them with newer technology.

I have several boards that can do this, the PPMC that Iggy used (for
analog-input servo amps), the Universal Stepper Controller (for any
drives that take step and direction signals) and the Universal PWM
Controller (for drives that take a digital PWM signal).

You also need a spindle index signal for multi-pass threading.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Ig, I can make or buy the encoder I need for my spindle, but I have a
question about reading the quadrature signals.

What sort of input board (for the encoder) did you use when you did the EMC
rigid tapping conversion?

Also, I can't seem to find the detail on whether or not you used the old
servo motors, or replaced them with newer technology.

I have several boards that can do this, the PPMC that Iggy used (for
analog-input servo amps), the Universal Stepper Controller (for any
drives that take step and direction signals) and the Universal PWM
Controller (for drives that take a digital PWM signal).

You also need a spindle index signal for multi-pass threading.

By the way Jon, it is rigid tapping that I brag the most about when I
talk about my conversion to people who actually know machining.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:30:00 -0500, Ignoramus2853

On 2011-07-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Ig, I can make or buy the encoder I need for my spindle, but I have a
question about reading the quadrature signals.

What sort of input board (for the encoder) did you use when you did the EMC
rigid tapping conversion?

Also, I can't seem to find the detail on whether or not you used the old
servo motors, or replaced them with newer technology.

I have several boards that can do this, the PPMC that Iggy used (for
analog-input servo amps), the Universal Stepper Controller (for any
drives that take step and direction signals) and the Universal PWM
Controller (for drives that take a digital PWM signal).

You also need a spindle index signal for multi-pass threading.

By the way Jon, it is rigid tapping that I brag the most about when I
talk about my conversion to people who actually know machining.

Ditto, I never tire of watching a machine tap. Multipass threading on
the lathe 500 RPM is pretty neat too.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-01, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

The first threads I cut on my lathe conversion was around 800RPM, pretty
awesome. I turned down a cylinder end for 1" to 3/4" and threaded it
3/4-16, including manual tool change, in under 3 minutes.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" fired this volley in
m:

The first threads I cut on my lathe conversion was around 800RPM, pretty
awesome. I turned down a cylinder end for 1" to 3/4" and threaded it
3/4-16, including manual tool change, in under 3 minutes.

RogerN

Roger, please tell me all about your conversion. That's what I'm creeping
up on doing right now. I'm trying to get all my 'stuff' ready before I
start, because I cannot afford to be without the lathe for more than a
week, or so.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"RogerN" fired this volley in
m:

The first threads I cut on my lathe conversion was around 800RPM, pretty
awesome. I turned down a cylinder end for 1" to 3/4" and threaded it
3/4-16, including manual tool change, in under 3 minutes.

RogerN

Roger, please tell me all about your conversion. That's what I'm creeping
up on doing right now. I'm trying to get all my 'stuff' ready before I
start, because I cannot afford to be without the lathe for more than a
week, or so.

LLoyd

I bought an Anilam Lathemate Yam Lathe on eBay. The controller didn't work,
the servo's and amplifiers worked fine. The servo drives took +10V to -10V
input for control. The common cards available for control were the
Servo's-to-go ISA board, the Mesa 5I20 Anything I/O board, and John Elson's
controls. I went with the Anything I/O PCI board because of costs, but by
the time I bought the breakout boards and all I'm not sure I saved that
much. Iggy went with John Elsons boards and I think that is a great option.
At the time I did my conversion, parallel and serial ports seemed to be
phasing out of PC's just like ISA slots have. I love the feature that Iggy
can change his controller and only has to deal with a single 25 pin parallel
port connection. The card I have isn't bad either, I just have to unplug
2ea 50 pin ribbon cables or pull the card from the slot.

I think the best parts about John's boards is that the connection is made
through the parallel port and you get John's support. It costs a little
more than the Mesa solution but you get an external rack of cards and is
very configurable. The Mesa solution is great too but you only get a single
PCI board and some breakout/signal converter boards.

I took the time to, as much as possible, make my conversion plug into
existing plugs. That way I could test it out and go back to the original if
I wanted. This wasn't beneficial on the lathe because the lathe control
didn't work. If I get a shop at my current location I'll convert my Anilam
Bridgeport to EMC.

My lathe and mill both use DC servo's that have tachometer feedback, these
work great with AMC drives. So, the feedback comes from tachometer to the
motor control and an encoder to the PC controller. The output comes from
the PC and goes to the servo drive.

For my Mesa board, I bought a board that converts the PWM signal to +
or -10V and an I/O board that can drive relays, solenoids, etc.

If you have a working lathe now, you can use mating connectors and make your
lathe able to convert back to the old control easily until you are ready to
run fully on EMC2.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 16:27:28 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

Ditto, I never tire of watching a machine tap. Multipass threading on
the lathe 500 RPM is pretty neat too.

Karl

The first threads I cut on my lathe conversion was around 800RPM, pretty
awesome. I turned down a cylinder end for 1" to 3/4" and threaded it
3/4-16, including manual tool change, in under 3 minutes.

RogerN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etLSxAV15lQ
http://www.vimeo.com/7692653

This is a rather interesting point of view..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q_q5...eature=related

And then for those who like larger lathes......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5JN4...eature=related

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2853 wrote:

By the way Jon, it is rigid tapping that I brag the most about when I
talk about my conversion to people who actually know machining.

Yup, not too many home shops have rigid tapping. Mach doesn't
support, it, either. At the CNC Workshop, the owner of Tormach came
over and asked, so I showed him the rigid tapping routine. I wasn't
going to rub his nose in it unless he asked.

I just did 228 4-40 holes with a combination drill-tap. I'd sure hate
to do all that by hand, or have to spot, drill through and tap in 3 steps.

Jon