Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Endmill regrinding

Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20088 fired this volley in
:

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

YOW! It wouldn't take long to pay for a Darex at those prices!

I happen to like (really like) pristine-sharp milling cutters, and being
able to touch one up on-the-fly (as it were) would be a big benefit.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20088 wrote:

Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

There are some really nice toys out there. I presume the machine laser
marks the new dimension on the end mill so you have the correct info for
your cutter comp.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Sounds a tad expensive, I expect if you did regular commercial business
with them the prices would be lower.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus20088" wrote in message
Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Ask them how much to regrind 1mm and .03125" carbide ball mills. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus20088 fired this volley in
:

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

YOW! It wouldn't take long to pay for a Darex at those prices!

But would Darex really do that good of a job, compared to this CNC 8th
wonder of the world?

And, additionally, how much time would I spend per end-mill with a
Darex?

I am not trying to argue, I just want to try to consider this
properly.

I happen to like (really like) pristine-sharp milling cutters, and being
able to touch one up on-the-fly (as it were) would be a big benefit.

So, say, an angel comes from Heavens and brings me a Darex E-90.

How well will it really work for me, in real life?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-29, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus20088 wrote:

Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

There are some really nice toys out there. I presume the machine laser
marks the new dimension on the end mill so you have the correct info for
your cutter comp.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Sounds a tad expensive, I expect if you did regular commercial business
with them the prices would be lower.

I want to see how it works out, to buy used end mills at auctions, pay
for sharpening, and sell on ebay. If it works out nicely, I will do
that regularly. At auctions, carbide end mills usually sell below
scrap prices, which are $15 per lb.

I bought 15 lbs of carbide end mills (with very minor wear) for $28 on
ebay last week. Those were 1/2, 5/8, and 1" end mills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20088 fired this volley in
:

So, say, an angel comes from Heavens and brings me a Darex E-90.

How well will it really work for me, in real life?

'Couldn't tell you, having not used one, but they come precious, even
used, and high prices at re-sale usually mean they're well-accepted.

I have looked at the manuals and specs, and they spec-out as being able
to do very precise re-grinding.

There's at least one on E-bay right now for under $2000, used.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20088 fired this volley in
:

I bought 15 lbs of carbide end mills (with very minor wear) for $28 on
ebay last week. Those were 1/2, 5/8, and 1" end mills.

Keep in mind that "very minor wear" translates to "much higher cutting
forces" and "lots of green-stone wear" to get back to "no wear at all".

At avg. $12.00 per endmill, you'll play hell getting back your $15/lb
investment, Ig.

Re-sharpened used milling cutters aren't of much use unless they come
with diameter specs from the sharpener.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-29, Ignoramus20088 wrote:
Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Any difference in price between HSS and Carbide end mills?

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-29, Ignoramus20088 wrote:
Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Any difference in price between HSS and Carbide end mills?

I do not know, I have not asked. But there is a big difference in the
selling price of end mills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20088 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, I basically doubt that regrinding on my own is the right thing
to do.

That's where we differ, I guess. I figure I've used up all the "good" in
a brand new HSS cutter in about an hour of optimum cutting (and with my
old BOSS-9 machine, the spindle doesn't run fast enough to be at
"optimum" very often). That, for me, ends up being about one part for
most of the machines I build. Even a _slightly_ less-than-perfect
sharpness results in much higher machining forces and worse surface
finish. Using the wrong surface speeds and tooth loads worsens the wear,
and I can't help those two problems right now. So I wear bits rapidly.

So it would be very nice to spend 3-5 minutes on a Darex and snap that
"worn out" bit back up to correct sharpness for the next part. I can do
the diameter compensations in my tool setups. I keep looking for a Darex
E-90 I can both afford and is in good enough condition and well-enough
equipped with collets to warrant spending the money.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:27:48 -0500, Ignoramus20088

On 2011-06-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus20088 fired this volley in
:

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

YOW! It wouldn't take long to pay for a Darex at those prices!

But would Darex really do that good of a job, compared to this CNC 8th
wonder of the world?

And, additionally, how much time would I spend per end-mill with a
Darex?

I am not trying to argue, I just want to try to consider this
properly.

I happen to like (really like) pristine-sharp milling cutters, and being
able to touch one up on-the-fly (as it were) would be a big benefit.

So, say, an angel comes from Heavens and brings me a Darex E-90.

How well will it really work for me, in real life?

They can be fairly fast. You can do an end mill in 3-4 minutes..4
flutes.

Its better to lay out a bunch of the same sizes/types of endmills and
run through the lot at one time..but you can do singles easily

Gunner, with a Darex endmill sharpener and a KO Leed B300 complete setup

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-30, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Yep, tool diameter compensation is not a problem for me either.

I still would like to know how much time DIY regrinding takes, and
whether it is as good as a $7 apiece CNC job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:38:05 -0500, Ignoramus20088
wrote:

Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Not sure what kind of machine my guy has, but he is half that price.
I'm very happy with his work.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just dropped off about 30 lbs of end mills to be reground.

I have never done it before.

The regrinding shop has an awesome automated CNC end mill grinding
machine. I was told that you just insert the end mill in it and the
machine figures out everything and costs $300,000. It is a
technological wonder.

Their prices are $7 for a 1/2" end mill and $17 for a 1 inch end
mill. I will see how it works out, I will probably sell the big 1
inchers and will keep the smaller ones.

Not sure what kind of machine my guy has, but he is half that price.
I'm very happy with his work.

Where is your guy located?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 6:27*pm, Ignoramus20088 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-06-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

But would Darex really do that good of a job, compared to this CNC 8th
wonder of the world?

And, additionally, how much time would I spend per end-mill with a
Darex?

I am not trying to argue, I just want to try to consider this
properly.

So, say, an angel comes from Heavens and brings me a Darex E-90.

How well will it really work for me, in real life?

FWIW, I have a Darex spindle that I can mount to my tool and cutter
grinder.

It's been a few years since I've sharpened any endmills with this
set up. "Unfortunately", I keep scoring new ones at ridiculous
low prices so I don't need to sharpen very often. :-)

Tool gloat could go here but I don't wish to make anyone
feel bad.

A few comments from what I remember...

My initial setup is a bit more troublesome than using the full
grinder.
Needs air, and I have to "clock" in everything.

That lever does a nice job at positioning the spindle for the
secondary.
It's just hit the lever and you're there.

Getting the primary can be a bit more troublesome. If you are not
careful, you can take off an extra thou or more. And once you
take too much off the first flute, you need to take the same off
the others.

If all of your endmills are the same diameter, then once you've got
the first one "on". then the rest are no problem.

It's just when you need to change something that you must
spend extra time.

The ends are no more difficult than the sides and the machine
automatically "fish tails" them. The only problem I ever had
with the ends was when there are only two flutes and you
need to sharpen one side that extends across the center.
There's an easy "oops" moment here. And then you need
to do them both again.

I just looked up the price and had that sticker shock reaction.

Altogether a nice machine and easy to use. Fine to sharpen a few
dozen, but after you've done the first several, it tends to get
tedious.
I wouldn't want to do this for hours on end.

DOC

Turners just keep going round and round!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:44:13 -0500, Ignoramus18155
wrote:

Which makes sense, economically. Just 2 weeks ago, I participated in
liquidation of an end mill regrinding shop equipped with old style
stuff (KO Lee, Cinci etc).

What kind of prices did the tool and cutter grinders bring at auction?

Was the tooling with the machines or sold separately?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Which makes sense, economically. Just 2 weeks ago, I participated in
liquidation of an end mill regrinding shop equipped with old style
stuff (KO Lee, Cinci etc).

What kind of prices did the tool and cutter grinders bring at auction?

They did not sell and were attractively priced.

I got a bunch of diamond grinding wheels.

Was the tooling with the machines or sold separately?

Some was, some was not, I got a couple dozen diamond wheels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 23:01:58 -0500, Ignoramus2853
wrote:

Which makes sense, economically. Just 2 weeks ago, I participated in
liquidation of an end mill regrinding shop equipped with old style
stuff (KO Lee, Cinci etc).

What kind of prices did the tool and cutter grinders bring at auction?

They did not sell and were attractively priced.

What were they asking for them?

Here on the east coast I'm seeing them sporadically on Craigslist in
a wide range of prices. The full sized ones are almost always KO Lee
rather than Cincinnattis. An occasional other brand. Among recent
prices, the low end was $650, another at $950 and a grinding shop that
was closing asking $1500 for their KO Lee's. One from Quakertown PA
started at $2000 and about 6 months later dropped it to $1500 - and
you had to remove it from the guys cellar. Most of the ones I'm
seeing come only with a single specific piece of tooling, and
sometimes a set of centers.

Prior to this past year or so, I don't recall seeing any tool and
cutter grinders on the nearby Craigs lists.

I have two of the KO Lees and am now looking for selected pieces of
tooling - in particular, the universal grinding fixture, the motorized
grinding fixture for cylindrical grinding, and the radius fixture for
turning ball nose end mills.

RWL

HSS Endmill sharpening, is it even done anymore? Wes[_5_] Metalworking 6 June 27th 10 02:34 AM
End Mill regrinding Ignoramus32324 Metalworking 5 May 6th 10 03:13 AM
Lathe bed regrinding Ignoramus11230 Metalworking 15 July 8th 08 02:37 PM
Bug mudda endmill Koz Metalworking 6 November 1st 05 02:31 PM
Regrinding Ball mills jerry wass Metalworking 8 May 28th 05 12:50 AM